What Car Geek things identify you? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What Car Geek things identify you?

I just noticed this, as when I posted my last message, I was on post 986, which is of course the MK1 Porsche Boxster. I still find myself noticing and smiling at the many collections of numbers starting with 9, as a Porschephile, at any time of day or night.

I also have a bad habit of breaking off mid word in conversations when I notice a special car on the road or TV, and then continuing on with no explanation.

"So then I told him that he coul... E46 M3! He could just go the the website and..."

My wife says I still make car sounds like I am an 8 year old boy.

What do you do that marks you as a geek?

Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well, I will turn around on streets and make my way through traffic just to track down a very special car or go to where it was originally parked.

If you want to know how bad it is, my friend and I saw an F355 Spyder at a bar, and he abruptly turned around in traffic to go to the bar. We waited at the bar for around 30 minutes staring at the car and awaiting for the owner to come outside. Eventually, we left.

We started taking pictures of an orange Elise when we drove down to Texas (from OK) to the Mazda oom Zoom Live event. Just wandered around the car and taking pictures, then the owner walks up to the car. It was kind of embarrassing, but oh well, he didn't care.

I just recently turn around in traffic to go to a car audio store since there was this Ferrari parked in front (can't think of the type but it's the predecessor to the F355). I waited around in the store just to hear it start-up and the guy drive off.

I always shout out different cars and such in mid-conversation, and it pisses my girlfriend off because she wants to see them and not just hear about them.

Or my favorite thing recently, when I was at the SVTOA meeting and brought my girlfriend along (since she was getting dinner, she didn't argue it), we were standing around the JRSC SVT discussing it. Well, as I'm standing there, I look around for her. I see her and the "wives" talking with one another looking over at all the guys standing around the car and laughing amongst themselves. I chuckled to myself because knew right then, they were saying to themselves, "how long can they stare at it and talk about an engine or car?" My girlfriend confirmed this with me.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 02-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Oni
Oh yeah!

I'll throw this out here really quickly. When I talk to people, I really don't get too interested in their modifications, but I'm more interested in what they do with their car and why they put on the modifications that they did. It's funny because when people talk to me about modifying their cars, I ask them if they've ever autocrossed or taken it to a track. Almost everyone I have run across has done neither. I just wonder why you see lowered cars with extreme camber adjustments if they make no use of it.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 02-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Would that Ferrari be the 348?

One of the least-loved Ferraris, can be had for about $40K...

Just keep spreading the word man. I think a hell of a lot more people would come out and AutoX if they knew about it!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Oni
Oh yeah!

The autocross gospel and I'm an autocross preacher?

I have one guy that I'm trying to get to come out. He has a Civic SI (the hatch), and I'm trying to suck him into it. He said he got my index card I left on his window a few months back, but he doesn't have a computer and didn't know where to go. I try to tell everyone about it that's into cars that I get talking to. I can't wait for the season to start. I'm hoping the region adjacent to mine gets a site soon, then I can autocross almost every other weekend! I'll probably run out of money too soon then.

Yes, I believe that's the correct Ferrari (a cross between the Testerossa and the F355 in looks). It didn't sound as beautiful as when I heard the F355, but then again, I don't know if he ever went WOT.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 02-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
LOL, definitely guilty of the car name-calling in mid-sentence... I also enjoy trying to put the car to the exhaust note. VROOM noises with my mouth all the time, and I hardly use my Audiophile Stereo because I so love how my SVT sounds...it's music in itself.

I also pretend that my car can talk to other cool cars, or poke fun at the crazy looking 'ricer' vehicles... I can't wait to see the new CG Movie 'Cars'.

My SVT and I have a great relationship...I keep him happily fed and tuned, and he provides me with transportation with the occasional crazy getaway...

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 02-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
/fail

Fan#: 2799
What I Drive: F150 FX4

Points 9,957, Level 66
Points: 9,957, Level: 66 Points: 9,957, Level: 66 Points: 9,957, Level: 66
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rfinger Good Standing Member
Usually the first three questions i ask someone after i get to know them

1. What do you drive?
2. What have you done to it?
3. Wanna race?

or

Fast forwarding through a movie just to get to the chase and race scenes.
Making obnoxious car sounds when telling friends about a race.
Or almost running off the road looking at peoples cars in their driveway (GF wont ride with me anymore)
Having many "project cars" in the backyard that I will revive someday.

"When everything works, it's a sheer joy to drive." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by rfinger; 02-03-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
I see myself in all but the last post (I don't often ask people to race). My wife is a a gear head, but mostly muscle cars and trucks. We'll point out cool cars to each other when we happen to be in the same vehicle. We wrestle (verbally) to see who gets to drive, and often take both vehicles. I think my car likes me. My kids want to autocross and drag race. My five year old calls my car a "race car". My computer background is almost always a car (currently a GT). I invite everyone I meet, who seems to like cars, and has one that will meet tech, to come autocross...the list goes on.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #9

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I do the 'shouting out what passing cars are' thing....some ppl ask me "What?"...I just say forget it......I look at a lot of cars.....just so I don't miss anything....

I do the quirky stuff with guns too.....like the time 3:08....2:23.....5:56.....for calibers....I am guilty of car sounds while describing stuff...esp. when on the nextel..."yeah it went be me, waaaaaaaa..and then....." hahaha

that's when you know you are a nut, when you take stuff that has NOTHING to do with your hobbies, and you make it have a relation to it........
Old 02-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #10

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
good thread BTW!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.