getting a bike????? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15398
What I Drive: 2006 f150

FF Reputation: 1 sinclair Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
getting a bike?????

i plan on buying a bike on the near future i havent got my own n this will be my first bike ne one know??? i was thnkin of a late 90s ninja to start off with r they ne good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #2

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
90s ninjas are ok, if you are new to riding i would suggest you get something that you dont mind if it hits the pavement and something with out too much power
SVT squad #7
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

Points 4,604, Level 43
Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
well, i have a gsxr 600 and i've had it for almost a year and it's my first bike. i think it's fine for a first bike. JUST DON'T BE STUPID!!! you HAVE to be careful till you really get to know how to ride a bike. i suggest, if they offer this in your state, to go take the motorcycle safety course. that's what i did. it was only a weekend and it was pretty fun (plus you get ur license if you pass).

a friend of mine who i ride with often bought a brand new 05 ninja 500 just before i got mine. a couple months later he was ready for a bigger bike. there's a HUGE difference in performance from a 600 to a 500 but not so much between the 600 and 750 and so forth. when we go riding he can't go anywhere near as fast as me, they just don't have a lot of power. sometimes i have to leave him behind and get on it (can't help it sometimes but he don't mind). but anyway he still has it and he's getting a 600 or 750 this spring.

my suggestion, is if you think you can control yourself and not be crazy the first couple months then get a USED 600. i wouldn't get a new one because it's your first bike, you want something cheaper than new. go with a cheap used 500 if you think your going to want to go fast when you first start riding, then after probably a year when you get tired of it and want something bigger and faster, which you will! then go with a 600 or 750. hope i helped you out a little
Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15398
What I Drive: 2006 f150

FF Reputation: 1 sinclair Good Standing Member
thanks man i appreciate the comments
Old 02-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31344
FF Reputation: 1 zx10 guy Good Standing Member
I disagree. You should start off with good fundamentals. If you haven't signed up for the MSF course. Do so now. I know a lot of riders who poo poo the class...saying it's a waste of time. I totally disagree. If you talk to any pro rider out there (and if you have the movie Faster), you'll hear this comment numerous times...."In motorcycle racing, it's 80% rider and 20% bike." The fastest guys out there don't necessarily have the strongest/most powerful motors. These are the guys that can stay on the throttle, not use up their lean angle and carry constant speed from straight away through the corners. On the track, you'll have guys in smaller bikes running circles around guys in the hot latest sport bikes.

I would get a small bike like a Ninja 500 or a SV650. Learn all you can on it. Because if you panic on one of these bikes, you're less likely going to kill yourself over a high horsepower one. The newer 600s aren't that far off from the liter bikes in terms of overall performance. You can get yourself in trouble just as fast in a 600 Supersport as you would on a liter.

Besides, on the street, you're not even going to tax the capabilities of the Ninja 500 or the SV650 without having the potential of being thrown in jail by your local 5-0. I had a buddy who thought he was ready to move up to an R6 from his SV650. That was until he wrecked his bike coming up to my house. He didn't even know what had happened. I went out to where he fell as he called me on his cell phone. I got there saw the black streak on the pavement and asked if he used his rear brake. He asked how I knew. He had locked his rear brake trying to slow the bike down for a U turn. I got his bike all fixed up enough for him to be able to ride it. He was meeting me to see what this road I call suicide run was all about. After I took him through, he realized he still had a lot to learn about riding before he would be ready to "step up" to a 600 SS bike.

Me personally, I went ahead and took the Experienced Riders Course through MSF and will be signing up for Keith Code's Superbike School when I have the cash freed up for it.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28046
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 zx5go Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I used to own a '93 Ninja ZX6 (ZX6E1 to be exact). Black and teal. This was the fastest 600 available in '93 and was such a great bike that Kawasaki made them until last year (ok, you could only get one in CA last year, 2004 was the last for the rest of the US). If you haven't been there yet, check out zx6e.com. It's a great ZX6 forum. This is a great bike for a beginner because it has good power and torque but the bike is very stable (not prone to tank swap). Downside is that this means the bike is fairly difficult to wheelie well...not something I'm a fan of anyway and not something a beginner should be trying (and highly illegal on a public road).

Anyway, these are great bikes.

Hope this help.
Gary
Old 02-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
90's ZX6's are good bikes. But, I am a Gixxer man myself. It will be fine for a starter bike. Just remember to not do stupid things and just because you have power doesn't mean you have to use it. Moderate yourself.

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3229
What I Drive: 2002 1/2 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Knuckles899 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just picked her up a few days ago.

I had an R6 as my first bike and it was a great bike. If you have had any riding experience at all you'll be fine with any 600.

Id recommend looking into finding a used Suzuki SV 650.........those are fantastic bikes with great power down low, and you can find them fairly cheap with low miles .......also your insurance will be substantially cheaper with the SV bikes.

But even the older kawi's are good bikes to.
MODS: FR head milled .040, Ported 2000 intake manifold, FR stage 2 cams, Nitrous Express wet kit with bottle heater, Esslinger cam gears, SCT Xcalibrator 2 self flasher( Mcnews automotive ), Obx 4-2-1 header, Bosal flex pipe, Borla 2.5 catback w/ Vibrant resonator, Steeda high flow fuel rail, VF engineering motor mounts, Screemin demon coil pack w/ wires, Ported throttle body, Custom short tube intake, Custom Grounding kit, Short throw shifter, Eibach sportline springs and struts, falken ziex tires, Rear seat deleted. = one bad motha fucca
Old 02-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28046
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 zx5go Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I'm with ZX10guy when it comes to training. Any time you can get on a closed track (or even a parking lot) with an experienced motorcycle trainer, you're going to walk away with some valuable knowledge. Not to mention that many insurance companies give discounts to riders who have completed a training course.

I completely forgot about the SV650, this would also make a good first bike...or just a good bike period.

Unless you're made of money, I would run some of these bikes by your insurance agent and see what the premiums are going to run and then ask about discounts for things like motorcycle training, being a member of a recognized motorcycle club (AllState discounts for this), and to make sure the bike isn't on a black list (that list of bikes they just won't insure).

Don't forget to alot money for the proper gear; full-face helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots should be considered a minimum. Some may scoff at this list but if you've ever seen the results of someone going down hard without these items, you'd never ride without them. I had a friend that hit a dog and slid on the front face of his helmet long enough to make it paper thin...imagine if that was his face! He was wearing a leather jacket although it was not a motorcycle jacket. It shreaded in the first few yards and left him with major road rash over his entire torso.

Gary
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

Points 4,604, Level 43
Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43 Points: 4,604, Level: 43
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally posted by zx10 guy
I disagree. You should start off with good fundamentals. If you haven't signed up for the MSF course. Do so now. I know a lot of riders who poo poo the class...saying it's a waste of time. I totally disagree. If you talk to any pro rider out there (and if you have the movie Faster), you'll hear this comment numerous times...."In motorcycle racing, it's 80% rider and 20% bike." The fastest guys out there don't necessarily have the strongest/most powerful motors. These are the guys that can stay on the throttle, not use up their lean angle and carry constant speed from straight away through the corners. On the track, you'll have guys in smaller bikes running circles around guys in the hot latest sport bikes.

you disagree with what? i told him to go through the motorcycle safety course just like i had done. i started on a 600 and i knew how fast it was when i got it therefore untill i went and passed the MSF course and got used to the bike and felt comfortable, i went very slow. accelerated slow and went the speed limit. i didn't even ride it untill after i completed the course and got my license. i agree with starting with good fundamentals, you'll get that from the MSF course (they use 250cc bikes). but i was saying if you don't want to outgrow a bike fast you certainly won't with a 600. DO NOT get a ninja 636 or any 750 or higher cc of course. you'll be fine on a 600 just make sure you RESPECT IT. i always say don't be scared of it but respect it! you're going to outgrow and want something faster after a short time. a 500 can only go so fast i don't care how good of a rider you are. the best quarter mile time i've seen from a proffesional rider was 12 sec. oh and that's a 05.

i'm not trying to tell you to go with a 600, you should probably want a 500 first to learn the basics but as long as your careful you'll be fine on a 600.

EDIT** oh shit lol i see where you disagree, the performance of the bikes. i'm saying a 600 is a good bit more powerful. an inexperienced rider who does something wrong can easily get thrown off a bike on a 600 than a 500. also the 500 is smaller to go with the smaller engine, it'd be a lot easier to handle the 500 over the 600. sorry i seem a little twisted lol i'm at work! ok i'll get to work now

Last edited by svt2nv04; 02-03-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.