This focus is butchered. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 248161
What I Drive: 2001 red-orange ZX3

Points 106, Level 2
Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 1 Stillers Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This focus is butchered.

Well this car really has some nice upgrades on it. It the electrical system that's absolutely feeble. I wish I knew the best way to start this but I really am more disappointed with her as more time goes on. The person before me seriously destroyed the wiring on this car, I mean the fuse boxes are all miss matched fuses, janky door popper hook ups, wires hanging everywhere, shitty crimp jobs. Now granted it does have a couple grand In legitimate parts. But I really don't know how long this car is going to last. Probably the worst 45k miles. I mean this dude hard wired the head unit directly to the battery with speaker wires!!! I got mistery grounds bolted down on paint all over the engine bay. Holes cut through the rad support, fenders, and every where just for all this shitty wiring!!!! There's 5 different cables jammed under the positive terminal for all this random shit, Rockford fosgate speaker wire running from the battery to what seems the alternator. Abs cut out, cruise control gone, and the svt disc break swap which makes a hell of a lot of rattling over bumps. This thing is pulling 11 different codes because of the abs is hacked off and Evap leak. But there's no check engine light even at startup so I think it's disconnected. The guy before me tried to do some stuff that just didn't work out. I ended up mixing up my spark plug wires because some had them marked 4-3-2-1 when that was obviously backwards and I didn't realize when I was putting the ignition coil back to gether that I did them all backwards and got one nice of a misfire. Thanks, Dick. There's just janky hoses all over the place, the whole rad and rad fan has play, the fans are from a junkyard apparently and wired in wrong (of course) because the rad fan only kicks on if I push the a/c button on, so it starts to overheat in traffic. The bearing are shot in the a/c compressor, all the pulleys look corroded. The belt has a nice wear mark down the side. The cam gears are kindve rusty looking. This thing was really neglected and someone was a big idiot. Apparently youdon't have emissions in Washington pa but you certainly do in beaver so I'm ****** come April. The obd says the o2 sensors are okay but I don't really under stand how. The upstream one is plugged into those svt headers but it's jammed up against the tranny. The downstream one plugged right into the magnaflow cat (which seems really weird that it hooks up there)
Someone really ruined this car with the way they did it. I'm so sad to even have to deal with type of thing. I mean there's not one piece of plastic that hasn't been molested. 45k miles doesn't matter when you have so much stupid shit on here . Literally fuse box is jammed up with relays and ******g stupid wires jammed into fuses for all this shit. The rear suspension has air bags installed but I don't even trust those knowing how the rest was done. Cut wires hanging everywhere: I'm really tryin with this thing but please whatever you do, never wire the whole car with shitty crimp connectors and not even any electrical tape. I don't know how this thing can even start. But it runs pretty good motor wise I think it's okay. The oil was basically thick gel when I changed it. It was so bad the oem filter was starting to seep oil. The horn doesn't work, the seats power is ripped out, over all, I really wish I knew all this before I bought it. I just really didn't think it would ever be this molested. Since when was 8 gauge speaker wire good enough to run my whole cars electronics? which is already over loaded. Idk I'm really running out of spark for this thing that I had when I first got it. The rad support looks like it's from an svt cause nothing matches up correctly and it says focus sport on it. When the rad fan kicks on the car gets very bogged down from that ac clutch and idler pulley. Stalls even. If anyone has some positive words to give me some hope, please share. or if you live near Pittsburgh and want to help me rewire the entire car, feel free

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 18,986, Level 87
Points: 18,986, Level: 87 Points: 18,986, Level: 87 Points: 18,986, Level: 87
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 73 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
IDK where to start, one look at that & you bought it? Its another thing if it was giving to you. If you have patience you could redo the whole wiring w/ another harness, is it worth it would be up to you. Something drew you to that car, what IDK. Tells you how stout the zetec motors are thou. I'd be taking someone that has a idea about cars w/ you next time, live & learn, chalk it up.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 106, Level 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
It's a hell of a car drivetrain wise. The guy that sold it to me it was his brothers who died in the military. and it a had a few other owners I believe. I mean it's got most of the upgrades you'd want for the zx3, but I swear someone left this thing under a tree for ten years. Whoever did the exhaust, headers, valve cover, and all the body work and custom paint did a respectable job, I just didn't realize how many butt connectors it had jammed in the engine bay. I just cut out the fog light wiring and redid the battery cables, every thing has an inline fuse now instead of hard wired waiting to blow up. Even when I was 16 hooking up sound systems, I knew more about wiring than this guy. The car has so much potential and I will bring it out fully in good time.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,775, Level 59
Points: 7,775, Level: 59 Points: 7,775, Level: 59 Points: 7,775, Level: 59
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 24%
FF Reputation: 28 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Yeah there is a reason some people will not even consider buying a modified car. The bolt on power adders are one thing (as they are usually straight forward and can be reversed) but any hit of electrical modification, and i would run away from the car.

I've never heard of the svt brake swap creating any sort of rattling due to bumps. Only things i can think of there that could rattle are the parking brake cable (but usually only at idle or a certain rpm) and the rear dust shields not being properly attached

Sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you, hope you got a good deal on it.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 106, Level 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Being the teenager I am I would have never been able to afford the body kit, all that body work, paint and all those nice aftermarket engine parts if I got a stock focus. So it's kind of bitter sweet. motor is very strong and the body is close to perfect. Every day I open the hood and rewire something else the right way. I've been driving the hell out of it since June and it never left me stranded. The problem is all the svt things on this car it's hard to follow how everything should be hooked up. And I really don't know about those rear brakes.. They don't rattle if my foot is on the brake so theres somethingthat needs snugged up. My next project is to take that motor mount out and drop the block down so I can put new belts pullies, and most needed, ac compressor.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 106, Level 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
I love working on it I just can't believe how terrible of a job the previous owner did. it just really drives me nuts someone just didn't care. There was plugs hanging down on top of my alt, hanging in front of the fan, just every where and they were only crimped together. That shit is all gone now.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE HB, 2011 Edge SEL

Points 15,080, Level 79
Points: 15,080, Level: 79 Points: 15,080, Level: 79 Points: 15,080, Level: 79
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Unfortunately, chalk it up to lesson learned. It sucks having to deal with other people's mistakes (just wait until you buy a house!) But it sounds like you have an idea of what you are doing to get it fixed. Take one step at a time, one wire at a time, and maybe you can get things straightened out.

Good Luck!
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 12 SE HB ╠╬╝, 2011 Ford Edge SEL AWD
Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 106, Level 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Well I knew I wasn't gonna get a perfect car. I got a little more work to do than originally planned but it's a lot better than my rusty 10mpg Durango snappin leaf springs and dropping steering links. This car is so clean underneath for its age. No rust
Old 02-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 & 2010 BMW 135i

Points 21,293, Level 91
Points: 21,293, Level: 91 Points: 21,293, Level: 91 Points: 21,293, Level: 91
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 53 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sounds like 50% of the cars on here honestly.
There are a TON of people here who shouldn't be allowed to open the hood.
*still space available*
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 20,789, Level 90
Points: 20,789, Level: 90 Points: 20,789, Level: 90 Points: 20,789, Level: 90
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 108 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like a mess, yanking & redoing the worst step by step is the only answer.

Did it start with ABS for sure? Most didn't have that stock except for SVT's and a few with a special option package.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.