Need help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 672
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bravenrace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Need help

I bought my 2001 ZX3 used. It's getting close to going out of warranty, and I'm trying to figure out if a couple little problems are normal or if I should take it in to the dealer for service.

Problem 1: When I fill the tank with gas it takes about 50 miles of driving before the gauge registers full. If I turn it off and then restart it, the gauge goes immediately to full. Normal or defective?

Problem 2: While the car itself seems pretty quite, I hear a lot of noise coming from the rear when I drive through a puddle or slushy snow. It sounds like it's from water/snow hitting the plastic wheelwell liner, but it's so loud I"m wondering if someone left the insulation out! Seems uncharacteristic based on the rest of the car. Normal or defective?

Problem 3: When starting up (5 speed), there is a noise from the front that sounds like some plastic part is vibrating. This happens right after letting out the clutch and goes away once the car speeds up a little. I actually took it in for this, but depsite the fact that it does it EVER time I start up the dealer said they couldn't hear it. Normal or defectve?

Problem 4: I commute 42 miles to work, virtually 100% freeway. Traveling at 70-73 mph, I get 27-29 mpg. This seems awfully low. Normal or defective?

I know I could just take it in and ask them to look into all of these, but it's a real hassle to do just to find out "we couldn't find anything", so I thought I'd ask you guys.
I would appreciate any help that you can give me.
Thanks,
Jim

'78 Chevy 454 C30 crew cab dually work truck
'77 Chevy 454 C20 truck in the works
'74 Ford 3000 (huh?)
'65 Mustang Fastback
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #2

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Prob 1: My guage does the same thing and Ford says it is normal
Prob 2: I can't say, I have a Sedan
Prob 3: Don't know, I have an ATX
Prob 4: That is about normal for the MPG, Thats what I get and that is with an ATX
Old 01-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
prob3, my starter does not disengage correctly and causes noise, like a screech

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-
Old 01-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by 00focus
prob3, my starter does not disengage correctly and causes noise, like a screech
Thanks, but I'm sure that isn't the problem here. To clarify, it does it when I start up from a standstill, not when I start the engine.

Thanks again.
'74 Ford 3000 (huh?)
'65 Mustang Fastback
Old 01-15-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Prob. 1: Well mine has never done that, goes to full every single time. That could be a problem for a selective few out there and it possible could be normal for those that do that. I wouldn't be too overly concerned unless it just really bugs you.

Prob. 2: Not really too sure with that one. It could be possible that something is causing the noise to be louder than normal. I would actually suggest to have that checked out, but also same as prob. # 1, wouldn't be overly concerned unless it was very annoying. I can see the dealer now though, "we don't hear anything under the ordinary", lol. That's usually the way it goes and that would be my luck, but doesn't hurt to give a shot and be firm with them.

Prob. 3: If it's the same noise that I think your talking about, then it's normal, atleast it is for me. It makes a vibrating sound right after you let it out until you get the speed up and does it from 2nd to 3rd mainly and sometimes 3rd to 4th depending upon how slow your going. Mine has done that since day one, and from what I found out, that's normal. Has it done it since you have gotten it? If so, then i'm pretty sure that's what your talking about. I wouldn't be concerned w/ that the least bit. I bought mine brand new and it's done it since day 1 and I have lil over 19 k on mine now and still drives the same as when i drove it off the lot.

Prob. 4: Yea, that's pretty normal on the fuel mileage. I commute only 22 miles a day round trip, and about a quarter of that is start and stop. I avg. between 24-27 depending upon my driving habits on that tank.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 01-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the information. A couple commenst/clarifications to your replies:

Quote:
Prob. 2: Not really too sure with that one. It could be possible that something is causing the noise to be louder than normal. I would actually suggest to have that checked out, but also same as prob. # 1, wouldn't be overly concerned unless it was very annoying. I can see the dealer now though, "we don't hear anything under the ordinary", lol. That's usually the way it goes and that would be my luck, but doesn't hurt to give a shot and be firm with them. [/B]
This noise is VERY loud. If your's did it I think you would for sure know what I am talking about, at least if you ever drive on snow/slush covered roads. It literally sounds like the interior plastic piece over the wheel area is the ONLY thing between the interior and the tire. I looked underneath and nothing looked out of the ordinary, other than that it has a plastic liner, and the liner doesn't fully cover.

Quote:
Prob. 3: If it's the same noise that I think your talking about, then it's normal, atleast it is for me. It makes a vibrating sound right after you let it out until you get the speed up and does it from 2nd to 3rd mainly and sometimes 3rd to 4th depending upon how slow your going. Mine has done that since day one, and from what I found out, that's normal. Has it done it since you have gotten it? If so, then i'm pretty sure that's what your talking about. I wouldn't be concerned w/ that the least bit. I bought mine brand new and it's done it since day 1 and I have lil over 19 k on mine now and still drives the same as when i drove it off the lot. [/B]
The noise I'm talking about happens right as you start moving from a standstill. No problem in higher gears. It just sounds like some plastic piece is vibrating at a certain RPM and then it goes away. Not nearly as noticeable as problem #2, but it makes the car sound cheap. Hard to believe it's normal, but maybe it is.

Quote:
Prob. 4: Yea, that's pretty normal on the fuel mileage. I commute only 22 miles a day round trip, and about a quarter of that is start and stop. I avg. between 24-27 depending upon my driving habits on that tank. [/B]
That's dissapointing. I used to drive my Civic si at much higher speeds on the same route and usually got 32-35 mpg out of it. And it was more powerful too.
Thanks again for the information!
Jim
'74 Ford 3000 (huh?)
'65 Mustang Fastback
Old 01-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 242,593, Level 100
Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
4) Gas milage is about right. I get about 27 my wife gets 32...driving habits I guess. That sounds a little low for highway driving but only a little.

2) make sure the cheapy wheelwell liner is in tight and not moving, that would be loud
3) probably the heat shield on the exhaust ??, had a nissan that did it, just vibrated at a certain point.
1), Mine doesn't do that.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
I would suggest, while it is still under warranty it wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealership
and have it checked out anyway. Even if they don't find anything or tell you it's normal, it's on record as having been a problem. Who knows, if it turns out to be a problem later it may give you some leverage on getting it fixed. Just my 2.

Oh, and the mileage I agree it may be a bit low but I believe like the others that it certainly
sounds ok. I believe I get 27-29 depending on how I drive it for that tank of gas.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
oh i know the noise u may be talking about with prob#3, when u first start off the rpms are low u can here a noise like a vibration, i have that too, and i dont think its the heat shield because i dont have mine on!!

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-
Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Yeah, it sounds more like a plastic piece in the engine compartment. It doesn't do it standing still, so it makes it hard to find it.
So would you say that it's normal?
'74 Ford 3000 (huh?)
'65 Mustang Fastback

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.