SVT's in the news... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 300
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 blacksvt57 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Post SVT's in the news...

If anyone is interested, here is a small article on Ford's plans for the SVT from today's Philadelphia Inquirer :

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/c...ve/6740521.htm

It sounds like some good things are coming!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 523
What I Drive: 2003 3-dr SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 HONDAHATER Good Standing Member
Hope springs eternal...

I am inclined to believe that Shelby is being brought in to work on the new Mustang...but come to think of it, when he was hot-rodding for Chrysler I remember he got a shit-load of power out of their boat-anchor 4-bangers.

I think there was an Omni GLHS that made a lot of power. So maybe he will work some turbo-magic on the SVT.

But Ford could just bring (or make in ol' Mexico) the RS in the U.S. without having to do much of anything ???
Old 09-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 456
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 beowulf Good Standing Member
You cant forget the Shelby Daytona Turbo's!! A friend of mine had one. That little spunker kicked some major booty.

But your right. If ford wants a more potent Focus. Just bring the RS home. And even better might be a rally inspired AWD Turbo to give the STI and EVO a good run.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
The SVT would be in overall winner in most comparos if it just produced more HP. I remember it scored really high marks in Styling and Handling in Car&Drivers test but lost points in engine performance.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
If Ford comes out with an AWD Focus with over 230hp, I'm trading! Until then, it's this ZX3 and possibly a 2003 SVT Mustang or Chrystler 300M...I can't decide. I think they should at least take the Focus to 250hp to dwarf the neon and cruiser though, and the AWD is a must to compete with that class (like you said). Ford could re-establish some of it's automotive dominance then, and possibly (hopefully) bring some more rally events to the U.S.

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 09-12-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 456
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 beowulf Good Standing Member
But the thing is Ford cant get its head out of their own ass when it comes to the US-market. They STILL think that the way to go is with big V8 power and poor handling. I believe with the evolution of the compact market that style of thinking for alot of US consumers is changing. Ford should pay better attention to the success of the STI and EVO and start realizing that US consumers are screaming for these cars.

For years Mistubishi and Subaru said the reason they couldn't bring the EVO and STI over was because of US regulations. I think they were just afraid to spend the money here for it. Unfortunatly I think something that spoiled AWD Turbo cars and what I call Budget Sport cars. (I.E. $30,000 corvette beaters) was the Isuzu Impulse and its failure to capture the market like Isuzu wanted. I believe that Nissan, Mitsu, and Subaru looked at that and said to themselves to stay out. While the Impulse won alot of stateside rally and was in 91 Car and Drivers car of the year. It failed miserably. Meanwhile its Ugly counterpart the Geo Storm went on with major success. If Isuzu had waited for just three years. I think the market would be alot differant for Compact Enthusiests right now.

Sorry I am also a Isuzu Impulse fan, and I am probably a bit bitter that a car like the Honda Civic is at the top of the food chain for the Compact Tuner Market. When cars like the Impulse, were there long before the Civic and ran cirlces around them for almost the same amount of money.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
do you guys really think ford will do a 4 cilinder monster when they have a 8 cilinder monster?
if they breing a RS it will be under a mustang hood...like the 80's mustang 4 banger with turbo...

remember the mustang is ford's flagship and own icon...it is the for ford what the corvette is for GM....

mitsu, toyota and other japan companies have no icon of their own....
only GM and Ford have car icons...for couple of generations...

so the probabilities of a ford 4 banger stock faster than a mustang are slim IMO....hope i'm wrong....
Old 09-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 300
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 blacksvt57 Good Standing Member
I don't know why they wouldn't want to have both the Mustang and a killer 4 cylinder. It seems to me that they are two totally different markets for the most part.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358
FF Reputation: 1 oldschool Good Standing Member
Guys, don't forget that the Mustang is getting a major facelift next year. You can almost bet that there will be major horsepower increases in store. Ford prototyped a naturally aspirated 5-valve 4.6 a few years back. It made 385 horsepower.
elpio, I don't know if you know how right you are. Ford built 4 Rangers in Louisville with the SVO 4 cylinder in them. The project got whacked partially because the truck would have been faster than the Mustang at the time. Sometimes These companies get so caught up in doing what they have been doing for so long , they forget how to change.

If GUNS kill PEOPLE, then SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358
FF Reputation: 1 oldschool Good Standing Member
The point of that was, if they up the Mustang, then they can move up on the Focus

If GUNS kill PEOPLE, then SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.