Question about hybrids????? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358
FF Reputation: 1 oldschool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Question about hybrids?????

I've been thinking about this hybrid crap for quite awhile now, and since the Prius was named Car of the Year, I got to thinking more. How is the air conditioning configured, or the heater for that matter? If it is configured in the conventional manner then the gasoline engine is being used to turn the compressor and generate heat for the blower. Not a big deal except that most of the smog occurs during the summer months, and, well, that is when I usually use my a/c. I just really wonder if the benefit is there to the extent that it is promoted.
The other issue is the cost. The up-front and maintenance costs. You could draw a comparison to buying a diesel engine over gas in a pickup. It just really takes a long time to justify the difference in cost, plus the maintenance differences.
Also, and I know many of us on the forum are in emergency services, there is the matter of the batteries and the high-voltage cables. Yeah, the batteries are supposed to remain intact in an accident, but so were Pinto gas tanks.

Just rambling, but thought this might stimulate some thought and answers.

If GUNS kill PEOPLE, then SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
Get a copy of the latest Car & Driver magazine, they cover this car in detail. The article also explains the a/c and heat issue you asked about.
bfocused
Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1962
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 focus44 Good Standing Member
all so you get better gas mlg. on a hybrids
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
personally, i don't think the added cost will ever be offset by the higher milage. The greeners should be forced to walk the walk they talk, and buy the hybrids. They have come along way in a short time, and with computer tweeks (that toyota is making very hard to do) can be great performing cars. Still, the high price of the vehicles is a big obsticle. If the general public embraced the technology, then the price will go down accordingly. I am by no means a econut. I don't think we should ruin the environment, but the enviromentalists have gone way to far and are lying about a lot of things. If the price was reasonable, and performance equal or better, I would buy one, but for fuel saving reasons. until then, give me the good ole gas engines.
ST crew #18
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
Re: Question about hybrids?????

Quote:
Originally posted by oldschool

Also, and I know many of us on the forum are in emergency services, there is the matter of the batteries and the high-voltage cables. Yeah, the batteries are supposed to remain intact in an accident, but so were Pinto gas tanks.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the article in Motor Trend and looked at the diagrams of the car. I've seen some pretty horrendous wrecks before, ones that left the vehicle torn to shreds. I know that even with a normal 12 volt electrical system there are still tons of hazards when it comes to extricating a patient out of a vehicle, airbags being one of those huge hazards. I would be majorly concerned about the amount of wiring in the Prius and the possibility of accidentally coming into contact with any of it during an extrication attempt, especially since the design of the electrical system is very foreign to most people. Not your typical 12 volt "lets cut the battery cables" kind of vehicle.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
well get ready.. in a few years the vehicles will be 48 volt system because of the massive electronics of cars now days. but then, even with them, you cut the negitive wire and electricly your safe.. the hybrids will be the problem
ST crew #18
Old 01-07-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 358
FF Reputation: 1 oldschool Good Standing Member
I didn't realize that anyone had done an article in depth on those topics yet. I guess I'll go buy the mag.

If GUNS kill PEOPLE, then SPOONS made Rosie O'Donnell FAT!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 276
What I Drive: 4Dr Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 focus Good Standing Member
The A/C runs off electricity, so when you come to a stop and the engine turns off it'll still work. I'm pretty sure that the heat will just keep blowing while at a stop because the engine will still be warm. I'd seriously consider getting a Prius if I was looking to get another car. I don't think you will ever make-up the initial cost of the car through the amount of money you save on gas but it's still got alot of nice features and is a midsize sedan. The only thing I'm worried about is the automatic keyless entry, all you do is walk up to the car and it'll automaticly unlock the doors as soon as you touch the door handle. I think if your close enough to your car to activate it then somebody else could jump in and take whatever is in your car.
The first mod I would get was a license plate that said U LOSE or ULL LOSE, just for kicks.

Last edited by focus; 01-07-2004 at 09:29 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.