Left lane hogs - BEWARE!!!!!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17482
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 5 Door, 5 Spd.

FF Reputation: 1 TomH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Left lane hogs - BEWARE!!!!!!!

Just copied this off of AOL news.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are begiining to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of ddumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legilstive docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that onle "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

Points 37,070, Level 100
Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
they do it in illinois now as well...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Nice! Hopefully this spreads... cause damn those drivers make me batty. It definitely interrupts the flow of traffic and makes it a little riskier. I doubt anyone could argue that on a 65 mph road, everyone cruising around at 70 is a lot safer than people doing 70 with someone going 62 in the left lane or whatever.

Unfortunately some of the "highway" around me is only 2-laned... so you're either in the high-speed lane or the enter/exit lane... it's SO aggravating. The speed limit's also 55, which is almost universally disregarded.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i hate that, when dont move. I personally tend to use the left lane but am usually going about 75 or so and ALWAYS move when i see someone coming up behind me. I hope they start to enforce this here in ohio.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 05-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23025
What I Drive: 2012 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 wmprof Good Standing Member
Been a pet peeve of mine for 30+ yrs now!

If you travel, you will notice the problem is more prevalent when you get close to any metropolitan area. The real highway drivers seem to understand proper driving etiquette.

Here in KS, the license plates show the county and I can always tell what county these morons are from before I can read the plate. Lol
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22683
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX4 S AT

FF Reputation: 1 Domesticated Focus Good Standing Member
You would not believe how many left lane hoggers there are in Maryland. In one day, I counted no more than 47 people within a 3.2 mile portion of a street named Northern Parkway. Now, I travel about 17 miles (total) on Northern Pkwy to and from school everyday, and I have to deal with this, ESPECIALLY DURING {extremely censored} MORNING RUSH HOUR. It's not my fault I have to rush to get to school thanks to slow traffic. The earliest I leave home is 6:45. I don't see how it should take me over 45 mins to get to school, which is only about 8 miles away.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by wmprof
Been a pet peeve of mine for 30+ yrs now!

If you travel, you will notice the problem is more prevalent when you get close to any metropolitan area. The real highway drivers seem to understand proper driving etiquette.

Here in KS, the license plates show the county and I can always tell what county these morons are from before I can read the plate. Lol
very much so...when driving the new jersey highways i would always be stuck behind people out of new york city and such...even when flashed and a clear right lane...they wouldn't move over...and this is hundreds of new york drivers...down here in dallas...people just drive like pansies everywhere :)
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 05-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Florida's law got veto'd by Jeb "All Holy" Bush because he stated "drivers blocking the left lane are cautious and careful."

Current list of laws:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Discussion:

http://weblogs.asp.net/mhawley/archi.../09/49258.aspx
Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17314
What I Drive: 01' ZX3 - mtx

FF Reputation: 1 themangina69 Good Standing Member
yeah maryland traffic sucks ass, only a few no how to drive.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
What? How can "blocking" anything be cautious or careful... that's odd reasoning.

Granted speeding can be dangerous, and at a certain point should definitely be stopped (ticketed), but it's not the Only danger of the road, people blatantly being inconsiderate to common sense on the road are every bit as bad.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.