Lemon Law Questions?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
/fail

Fan#: 2799
What I Drive: F150 FX4

Points 9,721, Level 66
Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66 Points: 9,721, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rfinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Lemon Law Questions??

Hey everyone I have a question for those of you that have or know someone that has had their car "lemoned". I have a 04 SVTF and I had the car in the shop at ford for like 26 days during jan-feb of this year with the clutch tsb. Now I have had my car at ford for like another 5 days and still have it currently while they have been screwing around with my front axle seals (ordered wrong part and put in on only to find that it was the wrong side........hmmm what a genius). Anyway so my questions to all of you is; How does it work? Do I need a lawyer? Will they give me all my money back? How long does it take? Is there any type of little loopholes that they can use against me? My main thing is that I have only had the car since OCT04 and I have already had this much trouble with the car and Im already having trouble with some of the front susupension and if this is any indication of what is in store for me I want out while I still have a chance. Thanks for all of your time and input in advance.

Ricky

"When everything works, it's a sheer joy to drive." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lemon Laws vary state by state. I suggest you contact your State government consumer affairs or DMV office to see if they have an information. Often the State will have a brochure explaining how the law works.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 3742
What I Drive: '05 COBALT SS

FF Reputation: 1 SVT03 Good Standing Member
yea, it varies by state. In AZ, you have to have the SAME problem 3 times in a row, or before 24k miles. By my state standards, you wouldn't qualify. But look it up on the net.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7906
What I Drive: '01 CD Silver ZX3(mine) '04 Light Tundra ZX5(wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 FocuzdZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Some of your issues are due to the tech stupidity, not because the car is bad. You wouldn't qualify. Do you have any issues with the clutch since? If not, the only thing that you can really complain about it dumb mechanics and time away from your car.

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!
origanal FF #: 2221

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
aint no shame

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: 1962 Ford Falcon

Points 15,337, Level 79
Points: 15,337, Level: 79 Points: 15,337, Level: 79 Points: 15,337, Level: 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
This is the process for a local member. Still has his car, but it is finally fixed...

Quote:
Does anyone know how to go about this? Do I need a lawyer first or just write my letter to Ford? If anyone has any information please forward it to me or if you know someone who's done it. Thanks.

The process:

11/5/2004: Got a call from the law office saying I have a very good case. I'm copying the purchase agreement and dealer visit write ups today. I'll try to have an update on Tuesday. Here's for wishful thinking...

11/12/2004: My attorney evaluated my case yesterday. Because I got A-plan when buying the vehicle I must fill out an application letter and copy my document again and send them directly to Ford. If Ford doesn't give me a new car or my money back then I go back to the law office and have them fight for me.

11/16/2004: Sending letter to the Dispute Settlement Board. I'm not sure how long it takes for a response so I'm not sure when the next update will be.

11/30/2004: Got a reply the other day. The board has decided to review the case! This is good news considering if they denied it then I'd have to get more involved with a lawyer. The letter described all of my concerns and I am to hear from them again in 40 days with their decesion. So far, so good.

12/10: Case is still set for the 16th of December. I got a package with everything that is going to be presented. The DSB contacted Ford and Ford states that my vehicle is, "operating under vehicle specification." HAHAHA Anyways, even though my car has been to the dealer 28 days - Ford states that only 18 were "down time." Bullshit. My very first visit to the dealer was regarding low voltage reading to the TPS but Ford says I don't have any electrical concerns to claim like I did in my application. All in all, things don't look super good for me but on the bright side I have a CEL and it's a misfire in cylinder one and now that it's cold the car doesn't start. So, while my car is being reveiwed for Lemon Law it breaks down yet again. Fantastic, hopefully this helps me in court.

12/20: The case went down on the 16th as planned. 7-10 days from the 16th and I'll have a response. This is it...

12/24: Denied. I can't believe it but it doesn't suprise me all that much for some reason. Their reason was because Ford had acknowledged each problem every time I took it in. WTF! My problem with that logic is that no one should have to take their car in that many times. Time to pursue legal action...

1/15: Received some new papers from my attorney and I'm filling them out now and dropping them off tomorrow. We're going all out this time and taking Ford to court. I'll have an update as soon as I get the next set of information.

1/19: $3,500 in legal costs, hooray! Case is being drafted and should hear a reply from Ford in about 30 days. FYI - the legal fees are to be included in the settlement.

1/26: Got the case in the mail today. We are holding Ford and my dealer under 9 counts of liability. (Shout out - Magnuson-Moss Act) This document is massive in thickness. Things look good, just awaiting Ford's reply and a court date.

3/1: Called attorney today. Should have a reply from Ford by next week. Side note, took car into today for non-working horn and front wiper TSB. Stuck there over night. Sad

3/25: Pre-Trial took place on Wednesday, May 25 in Westland. I have no idea what that means...

3/28: Ford offered $2,500 to me to walk away with. I have the option to counter offer for more (the most being about $4K) and let the negotiations begin or keep pressing for the complete buy back which didn't sound promising.

4/1: Negotations took place and a semi-victory was had!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Focus Addict

even though my car has been to the dealer 28 days - Ford states that only 18 were "down time." Bullshit.

I believe you can't count non business days and maybe days they did not work on it.

To me it seems like too much trouble. If it gets fixed who cares? Too many ppl think that because there car has some issues that it can be "lemoned".

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
My friend just bought an 05 S2000 and the trunk wont close all the way, transmission is messed up, and he tried to drift around the corner, and nearly killed himself because his E BRAKE WONT WORK! It litterally doesn't work, like it doesn't do anything but make it feel like engine braking...so he took it in the shop like 5 times, and is | | close to calling it a lemon.
But usually you can call it a lemon 1 time if it's a safety reason..

Japanese Engine, European Model, American Designed, Mexican made, Michigan/Wisconsin Manufactured = FORD FOCUS
Old 05-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
Focus Addict

nearly killed himself because his E BRAKE WONT WORK!

No, because he was doing something stupid.
For most manufacturers it is a parking break, that is why some of them won't stop car when in motion it will slow it down. It is used just to hold a car in place.

Long tyme no post!

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaduku

But usually you can call it a lemon 1 time if it's a safety reason..

No. Where di you ever get that idea.

I know of no lemon law anywhere in the United States which classifies a vehicle as a "lemon" with a defect that only occurs a single time.

For which State do you believe this is true?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Penguin is right, your car isnt a lemon, you need a different dealership. You can contact Ford at 800-241-3673 and complain and maybe you will get some sort of satisfaction. I work for Ford and can tell you if you call them and be nice, but straight forward with them, they will do something about it.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.