How to turn A/C of when directing air circulation to windshield? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2284
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bocha Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question How to turn A/C of when directing air circulation to windshield?

When driving in rain or snow, I direct air circulation to the windshield so that it does not get foggy. The A/C comes on automaticaly if the direction knob is anywhere in the last quarter position, looking clockwise. That is fine, however the A/C button led does not light up so I can not turn the A/C off manualy. So, if I want to drive in rain or snow, the A/C is on, the car performance is poor and fuel consumption increased. Is this the defect in my car, or it is the "feature"? I understand that this is there for saftey, so the A/C compressor does not get sealed during the winter when you do not use it, but shouldn't there be a manual override?
So far I would put the knob one notch above the last quarter to keep the A/C off, some air would still go to the windshield but not enough to keep it clear.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1739
What I Drive: GOLD 2001 FORD FOCUS SE 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 01FOCUSSE20 Good Standing Member
Talking

you could always find the a/c "clutch" engage/dis engage wire and hook a switch up to it....
then the ac will only kick on when you flip the switch
S M R T
I mean S M A R T - homer simpson.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 244,429, Level 100
Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Its a good thing, other than the loss of power and mileage. The a.c. compressor acts as a dryer for the air ( it pulls the moisture out of the air for you), it keeps the winshield much, much more clear. I had a nissan that had a button for the a.c. compressor and it made a huge difference with the a.c. on when using the defrost, it would not clear the glass without the a.c. on. Like you, I prefer the switch to have the choice, but that is why it is set up that way. You could install a switch as above to turn of the a.c. cluch if you want. Honestly when its raining and foggy I don't mind the loss of power..
Old 12-24-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Ya, I thought it was weird that Ford didn't make it a choice not to have the AC on or off with the defrost and other settings are turned on. I think I even read in the manual that the AC isn't supposed to kick in if the temp outside is 60 degress or lower and I had mine kick in at 30 degrees in the middle of winter. Ya, I want my window clear but geeze, I would like some heat when it's that cold in the car.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:03 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2284
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bocha Good Standing Member
Thanks guys!
I was confused with the A/C switch not ligthing up, but now I guess that is how they wanted it to work.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
The AC being on will not make the air colder when you have the temp control turned to the warm side. all it does is dry out the air. (really thats all it does in the summer too, dry air feels colder than humid air...) The AC comes on when its on defrost because it will not defrost without it (unless you live in an area that has dry air anyway...). Now in my car it does let me manually turn it off when its on defrost, but I live in a very humid area (i can spit in to the Atlantic ocean from my bedroom window with favorable wind conditions) and the windshield actually will get water/ ice build up on the INSIDE if i dont have the AC on.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
I believe it's a feature that pretty much every car has. My Mercury did it, my Focus did it, and my Cavalier does it. But like Dave30 said, I live in the south, and if it didn't work that way, my windshield would never defrost, or rather "defog" because of the humidity down here.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #8

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SunshineCavy04
I believe it's a feature that pretty much every car has. My Mercury did it, my Focus did it, and my Cavalier does it. But like Dave30 said, I live in the south, and if it didn't work that way, my windshield would never defrost, or rather "defog" because of the humidity down here.
It's an extremely common feature in American cars. My '92 Explorer worked this way, my '97 F250 works this way, and of course now the Focus. Other American cars I've driven (rentals on business trips mostly) all worked this way to the best of my recollection.

Not true on Japanese cars. My wife's '01 CR-V automatically turns on the A/C with the defroster but the A/C light comes on, and you can hit the A/C switch to turn it off.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #9

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
The AC being on will not make the air colder when you have the temp control turned to the warm side. all it does is dry out the air. (really thats all it does in the summer too, dry air feels colder than humid air...)
False. The A/C system drops the temperature of the air along with removing moisture. Next summer, stick a thermometer into your A/C vent. On a 90F day you will see the temperature in the vent at around 40F or so.

For winter defrost, the system will be disabled below a certain temperature. That temperature is somewhere in the 30's F. It is actually based not on a temperature sensor but rather a pressure switch in the low-pressure side of the A/C system. If this pressure gets too low, it creates a problem with ice forming on the evaporator. You may hear the A/C kick on briefly at lower temperatures because it takes a little while for the system pressures to establish, and for the low side to drop low enough to trip that pressure switch. Exactly how long is a "little while" depends on ambient conditions but it's not long, seconds not minutes.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:01 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Not true on Japanese cars. My wife's '01 CR-V automatically turns on the A/C with the defroster but the A/C light comes on, and you can hit the A/C switch to turn it off.

and this is why you see the idiots in honda's and toyota's with foggy windows when driving. drives me nuts to see. it is so easy to keep the windows clear, thereby safe.
ST crew #18

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.