2000 Focus ZTS?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Should I hook up the auto or sell it and get a manual?
Auto 4 28.57%
Manual 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 22533
What I Drive: 2000 Red Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteTrash2775 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2000 Focus ZTS??

Hey everyone, I am new to this sight and a soon to be new owner of a 2000 Focus ZTS, I am getting the car for a really good price, free, so I have some questions about it first one being its a auto and I plan on doing some mods to it to make it a little more quicker, should I sell it and try to find a manual to hook up or can I hook up a auto just as good? I just started school a week ago for Advanced automotive training so I will be doing all the mods myself. I am not gonna race it or anything like that, I just want some better pick up and nicer sound but if it would be better to do it too a manual I will sell it and find a manual one. I have seen a couple Focus's in magizines and I really like the looks. So any info you could give me on the model I am getting would be great, up until now I have only had Nissans, I also have a 03 Maxima SE and a 89 Pathfinder XE with some goodies. Thanks again and sorry about the long post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
An auto will respond to mods, but never as good as a manual will. I'd say if you're getting this one free, try to sell it and look for an MTX. General rule of thumb is, a manual loses 15% power from crank to wheels, and auto loses 23%. So that's a fair chunk considering Foci start with low 100s at the crank, ya know?

So I'll vote Manual. Although be aware that the Focus resale calue ain't real good, and dealing with a 2000 which had the highest history of recalls you probably won't be able to get a whole lot for it. Check out kbb.com or edmunds.com and see the going rate for a Private Party sale in your area with the options this ZTS has. That way you're well-informed if you want to sell and find another Focus to buy, or just hook up the auto being aware of the inherent disadvantages that brings... but then you don't have to deal with the hassle of selling a car and buying another relatively inexpensive one, which clearly has its own annoyances!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7447
What I Drive: a car?

FF Reputation: 1 213slayer666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i say keep it and start modding, i've got an atx and with the mods i have it goes pretty quick.
and you can always put a lenntech valve body and torque converter in it later.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Thanks for all the info everyone, I will probably keep it and do some mods to it to get some more horses out of her. I am never gonna race it or anything I just want it to have some better pick up. And another reason is it is in perfect condition and really doesnt have alot of miles on it 60,000 I think maybe a little more. And the owner of it is my Mom so I know she didnt beat the crap out of it. Now that I decided to keep it, what should the first mod be?? And one more question, what makes the car a ZTS model, what are the diferences in that year between the other models, like is it the luxery model? I hope everyone understands my question because I dont... Thanks in advance everyone
Old 05-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Oh.....two more questions. What motor is in the 2000 ZTS? And what are the recalls on it? Just curious so if they havnt been fixed yet I can get it done. Thanks again everyone for all the info You will probably see alot of me as I do the mods to her.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 30,979, Level 100
Points: 30,979, Level: 100 Points: 30,979, Level: 100 Points: 30,979, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
you have the 2.0 zetec. ZTS stands for Zetec Sedan, but i'm not %100 on this. so anything you get for the zetec will work. I personally have a SE but the SE had the option to get a Zetec. I also have a manual trans which i personally love but my fiancee doesn't like as much but is learning to like it. (more power than her auto 94 toyota corolla with a 1.6L) You can get a cat-back system if you want. They run around $300 but i got mine about 1 1/2 years ago and it seems as though prices went up on this. The main 3 that people like on her are Borla, Magnaflow, and MBRP. MBRP is the cheapest at around $200 but the more you do to it the more it sounds sounds 'ricey'.

I say this because i've seen this ZX3 with a full exhaust (race header, flex, MBRP) and he had to have 2 reasonators installed to quite it down and i believe he wants to install a 3rd but i'm not %100. He has the second generation of MBRP and it's still ungodly loud, but it's all personal choice. Borla is nice with a nice deep tone to it. I yet to hear a complaint from anyone that has one. But it's pricey somewheres around $400 or so. Magnaflow is in the middle around $300. It gets kinda raspy up in the higher RPM range, but i don't mind.

Second would be an in intake such as a volant or pipercross. Those are the best of both worlds. If you're on a budget you can always but a conical filter on the end of your current intake and recieve some HP but it also has some draw backs with it. You'll be sucking in some hot air from under the engine bay and that equals HP loss. Some people like that because of better gass mileage but a true Cold Air Intake (CAI) would give you the best gains. But you'll also take into count that with a true CAI you'll take the risk of getting Hydrolock. (which is water getting sucked into the engine and causing all kinds of problems on your end. Theres also a bypass valve which you can use which i think costs around $60 which will prevent hydrolock but also robs you of a few HP but saves your engine. With the Volant or the pipercross you get the best of both worlds but none of the drawbacks. The Volant is like a shortram intake but with a closed in box with a hole on the outside of the box to suck in cold air from outside the engine bay. Also it utilizes the the stock snorkle which sucks in more cold air. The pipercross is a tube like intake. I personally don't know too much about that intake except for the fact that for the people that had the volant and switched to the pipercross like the pipercross better.

Also since you have a auto trans you might want to look into getting a superchip which will help your shift points on your car and you can get different performance files to get better performance out of 87 octane or 94 octane. All personal preferance.

For you being a noob to the focus world, check out these stickies which will help you mod you focus a little better. Clicky Clicky

You can also check out Focus Sport because they have the best superchips available for the focus Focus Sport

Also you can get the Volant from Ray @ myfordperformance.com Ray@myfordperformance.com

The pipercross at mcnewsautomotive.compipercross@mcnewsautomotive.com

Also check out MyFordFocus.com
and FocusHacks.com for some interesting info about your car

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 05-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7447
What I Drive: a car?

FF Reputation: 1 213slayer666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by lildisco
Also since you have a auto trans you might want to look into getting a superchip which will help your shift points on your car and you can get different performance files to get better performance out of 87 octane or 94 octane.=
i got my chip from FS, and it makes driving the car a lot more fun. it gets rid of the pathetic stock shifts and just makes the driving experience so much better.

as for the exhaust, here are some clips of what mine sounds like with the Magnaflow exhaust and the FC race header. this is with only one resonator, not extremely loud, but louder than stock. you can also hear the volant intake, which is great too.

revving
accelerating
Old 05-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 30,979, Level 100
Points: 30,979, Level: 100 Points: 30,979, Level: 100 Points: 30,979, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
ALSO:

There should be recalls already done the car such as the notorious fuel pump. The first foci were proned to many recalls....there's a link somewhere on it, but you'll need your vin # off your car. You could also try the dealer with your vin and see what happens.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Wow, thanks for all the info bro. I think I am gonna stick with her. I am never gonna race it so I dont think I need a manual, and if I put in that superchip it should be just fine for me. Plus I am on a really small budget, I am only working part time right now while I am attending school for automotive training wich is a 19 month program, but the good point about it is I can do all the mods myself at school wich will probably save me loads of money. So I think my first mod is gonna be a cat back exaust or a nice set of rims and tires, dont know wich one yet most likely rims and tires. As soon as my Mom gets her new car and gives me the focus I will get some pix posted. That way I have some before and after pix as I do the mods. And again thanks alot everyone for all the info, this seems like a really good website, just as nice as the one I am a member on for my 89 Pathfinder. Thanks again, and I am sure there will be alot more stupid questions coming from me, I have never hooked up a 4 cyclinder, back when I was young it was Mustang 5.0 GT's and such.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
I always say ATX. Come on give us a chance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.