Over filling your oil - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,704, Level 78
Points: 14,704, Level: 78 Points: 14,704, Level: 78 Points: 14,704, Level: 78
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i dunno if anything will happen. last time i changed mine, i thought for some reason i read that the manual said 4.5 quarts but it says 4.25. so i guess i overfilled mine last time by a quarter. but im changing mine again tomorrow and ill be sure to put in 4.25.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would drain it asap. Overfilling your oil can cause your seals to blow. Park your car on a level surface and check it first to make sure if its indeed over filled.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The biggest problem with overfilling is the crank/pistons are now frothing up the oil, making many many tiny bubbles. Those bubbles don't protect parts, nor do they transport well. The oil level should be below the crank, so it doesn't get mixed up.

If you ever made scrambled eggs (not egz), after wisking the eggs, you'll see all those bubbles in it. If you stick your finger in the bubbles, it will get some egg on it, but not as much as if you dipped it into the liquid egg. Same would go for the oil.

Sorry, I couldn't find a better analogy.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ohhhhhh, Thanks a lot guys.....I just had my oil changed yesterday, and it was discovered that the oil pan was leaking.... Oh well service she goes on Monday.

By the way would you not be able to tell if you over filled your oil by the gauge?

Would the engine not act up right away?

Just curious.....

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 11-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #5
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I think that's either an oil pressure or oil low indicator on the dash. Need to look at manual to be sure.
I did the same thing. Put in 4.5 quates instead of 4.25 because that's what I saw on myfordfocus.com
"Zetec: 4.25 Liters (4.5 quarts)"
When I checked my oil after doing an oil change with 4.5 quarts, the oil dipstick shows that the oil is overfilled.

I'll have to check my manual to validate that it does state 4.25 quarts instead of 4.5 quarts.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Hotfocus is right. That's what i've always been told that it will make the seals leak alot sooner than you would want them to or expect them to. I've never heard what egz said before, but it makes since. I had a 98 Nissan Frontier and took it to the oil change places for the oil change, and one time, they overfilled it bigtime. Don't even know what made me check it either, but just had a hunch to. Anyhoo, of course I drained it and changed it myself after that. I used to always change it myself, but that was back when I was working two jobs and didn't have time . Have changed it myself ever since. Anyhoo, i would suggest just putting lil bit at a time. You know it holds over 4 quarts. So how I do it is put 4 qts in, start it and let it circulate a sec, then kill the engine, let the oil drain back in the pan for a sec, then check it and go from there. Just add it in as baby steps after that. Pour a lil bit and check. I know most how to change oil, so not trying to tell anyone how to do it, just telling a way to avoid overfilling if you do it yourself. Oh, R&D, no, you can't tell by the guage, it only regulates pressure. The pressure might read a lil bit higher than normal, but not likely, just depends on how much it was overfilled. Also, no, the engine wouldn't act up right away. Like what was mentioned above. The biggest worry is it blowing out your seals if you leave it like that long enough.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 11-14-2003, 09:25 AM   #7

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to WAY overfill to do damage like blowing out seals. I doubt .25 of a quart extra is a ticking time bomb. Adding a couple of extra quarts on top of the required amount would be asking for trouble... but yeah, bottom line, don't overfill, it can be just as bad as not having enough oil.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #8
FF #1 Most Wanted

The reason I brought this topic up is to see if anyone had experienced and problems from over filling. I wasn't sure if this is what caused my oil filter to start leaking...?...

1. When I checked my oil level when cold, the oil dip stick shows over the Full line.
I only put in 4.5 quarts like I think I'm supposed to..

2. I let it run for a few weeks and I noticed I was leaking oil yesterday. I checked under the car and the oil was leaking around my oil filter.

Could over filling the oil cause my oil filter to blow it's seal and leak ?
Old 11-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 1320
What I Drive: 02 Silver ZTS, 23,xxx miles :)

FF Reputation: 1 gruss Good Standing Member
I guess it could if you really really over filled it, but .25 quarts shouldnt do it...did you put a little oil on the rubber seal on the oil filter b4 screwing it on? Did you put it on tight enough? those would be more likely culprits.
I would put 4 in the engine and put some in the iol filter when changing this would be very close to the 4.25 quarts anyway, let it circulate check again and top off if necessary...thats normally what I do
Old 11-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #10
FF #1 Most Wanted

Ya, I made sure that the filter was on tight and that I put on a thin layer of oil on the seal before I put it on.

I'm going to replace the oil filter but does anyone know if the oil filter location is higher than the oil in the engine ?

I don't want to remove the oil filter and have a quart of oil start spilling on me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.