would this work? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1569
What I Drive: 00' dodge neon es

FF Reputation: 1 Vampyre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
would this work?

i have never bout my own car really yet so i am not sure how it really works yet(grandparents got me the neon, i just make the payments lol), but i was wondering something and hopfully you guys can help me out here.

i owe i a lil over 7,000 on my neon, and the book price for it is like, 4,5-5,500. the local ford dealer has this deal going on an all the focuses on the lot say it has a 4000$ rebate on it, and i was wondering if i could trade in my car, still owing on it, get the focus with the rebate, and come out with out being realy upside-down in the long run? i also get a lil discount from working at taco bell from what i understand, plus the conquest dicount for changing from dodge to ford(i think that is what i was told). i didn't have a chance to go over and really look them yet, i noticed it while i was looking at the celica gt-4(awwwwwgod it was nice) across the street.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 09:02 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
that 4k rebate is going to depend on the specific deal. a lot of those are WAC or With Approved Credit. you can always talk a dealership into paying more than blue book on the car though. go in there telling them they need to pay it off or else you wont do anything and that will get you somewhere. how old are you and how much do u make? whats ur credit like? u could try and talk mom n pops into financing it for u
Old 11-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

actually i was gunna get the grandparents to help me again, and i would actully try getting my name on part of it this time. with the neon, i was only 17 so i could not be on the loan or anything, but i am 18, soon to be 19 in febuary. my grandparents have amazing credit(they got a new dodge truck last truck, when the guy ran the credit check he came back and asked if they were driving it home that day, same as when we got the car) though, so i would think that they would be able to fall under quailified buyers.

with my last raise(.30c woo woo) i am making about 1,000-1,200 a month before taxes; not much i know.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:00 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

here is a link to the focus i am really digging here

how much do you ppl think i may be able to get the price down too, or what a good number is to shoot for?

Last edited by Vampyre; 11-13-2003 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1133
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver ZX5 Zetec

FF Reputation: 4 03ChromeChica Good Standing Member
I bought my '03 ZX5 for 13K, I think you should be able to get it down a bit.. : /
Old 11-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Mtn. Dew

Fan#: 101
What I Drive: 2013 Taffeta White Civic Si

Points 15,945, Level 81
Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 45 Lil_RedZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
In my opinion, you should pay down the debt on the Neon b4 buying a new car.
If you don't, make sure that you get gap insurance.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 244,429, Level 100
Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I also think ford has some insentives for first time buyers, check into that, try to find a good local ford dealer that will not try to jack you and talk to them about it and see what they will do..I know right now they really want your business..Good luck on that new focus, much nicer than the neon in my opinion!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 984
What I Drive: 2 built Honda Civics/pearl white-SHOW & graphite grey-GO/Focus ZX3 daily driver

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnThis Good Standing Member
The First Time Buyers program isn't going to help ya, in fact, they will try to get you into a lease, thus, the "First Time Buyer has low or no credit program". The mark up on the new Focus is roughly 2,500-3,200, deprending on the make, so try to wheel & deal and see if they will go so far as to pay off your existing loan. Drive a hard bargain with the dealership because dealerships are mostly "volume" driven and #'s mean everything. I would just wait and pay down the loan first, cause comin' Feb and March dealerships introduce new cars and new low prices on lot cars. So, hold off, or wheel & deal til ya break even!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
I don't think they'll trade with you. Since it depends on credit approval, they would have a hard time getting you approved with an "upside down trade" (meaning you owe more than your car is worth). If you had the car paid down a little, I'd say maybe you could trade, but you'd get screwed. So, I say don't even waste your time trying. A reputable dealership won't trade, and may laugh at you for trying, but a sleezy place may reem you for not being up on car sales/trade knowledge and accept the trade at some awful kind of a deal.

Without completely "choppin' your head" (a phrase for REALLY rippin' somebody off), the dealership would have to take a loss on your trade, and I know of absolutely NO dealerships that would do that (unless they had a buster to buy the car for mega $$$). It would have to be on Ford Credit too because no bank will touch this loan...even if your co-signers have gold credit. To be honest, you don't want them to accept the loan anyways.

(I can't believe I'm saying this)...keep the neon... drive it easy (low miles), keep it clean, and when you have it paid down below what it's worth, sell it in the classifieds for $2000 more than what it's worth. Take that money and pay off your loan, and with the extra $$$, put a down payment on another car.

and like focusonthis said... buy a car in clearance season, and pick one that's new or a demo that's 1-2 years old (most will have less than 5-10,000 miles and will have a significant discount if you don't accept a crazy deal).

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 11-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1298
What I Drive: 03' ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 eggyolk Good Standing Member
I would talk to them and see what they can do for you with a trade-in, the deals right now on the 2003 Focuses are too good to pass up and if your grandparents are going to be on line 1 of the loan you might squeek away with 3.9% for 60 months and no down payment or use whatever is left over after the rebate for a down.
Draxas race header

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.