Mythbusters...AC on vs windows down - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #1
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Mythbusters...AC on vs windows down

Last night the mythbusters prove that with the ac on on a highway @55 mph the car consumes more gas than with the windows down...they put 5 gallons of fuel to a pair of ford explorers...the one with the ac stop first...
the one with the windows downs went for 15 more miles....

what you guys think....

fird i was kind of skeptical...
but then giving little more thinking the ac is VERY power hungry....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
aint no shame

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: 1962 Ford Falcon

Points 15,337, Level 79
Points: 15,337, Level: 79 Points: 15,337, Level: 79 Points: 15,337, Level: 79
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
did they run them or just have them on a dyno.. cause i dunno if they put the wind into effect on the drag of the car with the windows down..I will have to see this episode. I missed it last night for class
Old 11-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #3

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
They ran them. Otherwise the test would have been bogus for the same reason you stated Chaney. I know that on a road trip a few months ago, my car went 296miles on a tank of fuel with my windows down. Coming back it went 250 miles with the A/C on.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12408
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 d3bilhan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What speed did they run them? The widows down would obviously only affect the mpg at highway speeds, plus the ac is more efficiant at higher speeds.

[img]
Old 11-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #5

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Last night the mythbusters prove that with the ac on on a highway @55 mph the car consumes more gas than with the windows down...they put 5 gallons of fuel to a pair of ford explorers...the one with the ac stop first...
the one with the windows downs went for 15 more miles....

^^Read the first line.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Focus Addict

sorry

[img]
Old 11-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Focus Addict

I wonder if the difference would be the same for a highly aerodynamic car as for the "box" they used?

[img]
Old 11-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12984
What I Drive: '04 Subaru Impreza WRX

FF Reputation: 1 freakyclimber Good Standing Member
actually they ran them at 45 mph not 55 mph because the insurance company said that the risk from a blow out at 55 mph could be very dangerous. but when they did the computer model they did run the vehicals at 55 mph and the gas milage was better with the a/c on
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10146
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue ZX3 Power Premium Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Twilight Blue ZX3 Good Standing Member
One thing was mentioned above, if you went on a trip, your gonna get differnt MPG. not really because you had your windows down one way and you ac on the other way, but because wind generaly blows n-s ,w-e so one way the milige will be less going against the wind and more when its pushing you. A couple yrs ago i went from IL to the UP of MI going up i got 363mi to a tank , going back i got 404. both times my cruise was on 70. AC off cause it was winter.

Your car will get better mpg with the AC at higher speeds its just common sense. with the windows down the back window acts as a parachute. Any way at higher RPM with the AC your engine is hardly affected from the AC on due to the fact the engine is close to its peak HP and Tq band. Driving in city type environments with the ac on, on the other hand the mpg goes down because to turn the compressor requires more torque and at lower engine speeds and coming from a dead stop the engine isnt making a whole lot of torque. But when your Accelerating your compressor should shut off to save gas and to get going quicker, if it doenst shut off then theres something wrong with your car.

And Back to the MythBusters, Because i work for Ford, I can tell you when you have to drop the tank depending on how much gas is still left, you may have to pump out old gas out. HOWEVER when you pump the old stuff out its very common for the pump to start sucking up air, so you thing its empty. Wrong the tanks are so big and some have Many baffles in them that using a pump will STILL LEAVE 1-2 Gallons in the car. So it didnt surprise me that they most likely got more fuel out of one truck than the other.

So thats not a valid way to do the test. Best way to do that is to get the tanks bone dry, take it down and drain it and visualy see that its empty, then fill up with the exact amount. even when you run your car out of gas theres still gas in the tank just not enough to submerge the pick up.

2002 Ducati 748s
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
there is a discution about it in the mythbuster message boeard on discovery...

http://discovery.infopop.net/1/OpenT...4&f=2991937776

they said they will do something about it becouse most people dindt like the way it was done...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.