Re: the "death" of the SVT Lightning - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 05:54 PM   #1

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: the "death" of the SVT Lightning

This is interesting, I just received this email from SVTOA. I'm wondering if they did the same thing for the SVT Focus or Contour, or did they not care when those models got axed since they don't have the same visibility that the Lightning or Cobra has? Maybe they did and it was before I was a member, but it makes me feel something along the lines of "thanks a lot, you'll try to save the Lightning but the Focus you won't bother with?"

What's That You Say? SVT Lightning Update

November 4, 2004

Dear SVTOA member,

The SVT Lightning has been featured in several publications recently. For more information, please visit the following websites:

OrlandoSentinal.com* (recommended by SVT)
Autoweek.com

*You must be logged in to the Orlando Sentinal to view this article.

SVT Lightning Owners and SVTOA Members: We Give You a Voice

Many of you will recall that this decision comes from the same company that once wanted to pull the Mustang! We mention this because Ford owners like you turned that decision around by making phone calls and sending faxes, letters and email to Ford Motor Company. Work with SVTOA now to do the same thing for the SVT Lightning. We need your feedback so that we can take your comments straight to the decision makers within Ford Motor Company. Sometimes automotive companies make decisions that we don't agree with; help us change their minds by letting them know what you think about putting the SVT Lightning on the shelf by:

• Posting your thoughts on the SVT Lightning Forum

• Emailing your comments to memberservices@svtoa.com

• Faxing your comments to SVTOA at 858.777.6563

• Mailing your letters to SVTOA, P.O. Box 910505, San Diego CA, 92191-9796

Remember, if this is to work we need your comments to be clean and as professional as possible while driving your point home!

SVTOA…The ride of your life!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Well, you have the email address. Email them to save the SVT Focus!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:18 PM   #3

Hmm... I think it's a little late for that.

People are upset about the Lightning because Ford had signalled it's intentions to produce a new Lightning based on the fresh F150 (even showing off a concept) and then abruptly decided to cancel the program. Maybe that's why no one was as upset as they are now when the Focus was canned, because Ford hadn't given any indication that a better SVT Focus was on it's way.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #4

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Mmmmm catherine bell .......drool.............

Anyway, ford obviously has some asshats running the show, I will wait it out and see what happens.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,743, Level 76
Points: 13,743, Level: 76 Points: 13,743, Level: 76 Points: 13,743, Level: 76
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
I don't see them canceling the lighting..
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 11-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #6

Catherine Bell has the magical powers to distract anyone in her path...

As for asshats, I'm starting to think that. I mean they got the new Mustang, good job on that, certainly a nice car. But they killed the Lightning?? What the hell are they thinking? I can understand killing the SVT Focus, it wasn't exactly flying out the door and I have to admit it could have been a much better car, but the Lightning is a well-executed vehicle and the new one looked to be even better. Meanwhile they built the GT, a fantastic halo car but it's starting to seem like they blew all their time money and energy on that and left the rest of the more affordable fun Fords to die.

BTW although I'm peeved that SVTOA is making a big stink about the Lightning but didn't do anything to "save" the Focus, I'm still going to write in with my support for the Lightning. Ford is making some strange decisions lately about performance: they build a car/truck with good potential, that even outperforms the competition, then they let it stagnate while the competition passes them by, and then finally after everyone else has come out with something better, Ford decides rather than jump ahead of the competition again, to just cancel production of the car/truck.

Last edited by SVT4ME; 11-07-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #7

Here's my part in the attempt to save the Lightning from a certain death. If anyone else wants to write to them, I encourage you to do it! The letters/emails go to SVTOA who will present them to Ford. As such you should keep it clean, try to refrain from telling them they have their heads up their butts in those exact words. If you read this you can see that's essentially what I told them, but you get farther by trying to present a compelling argument, as opposed to writing them a letter that says "you guys are a bunch of *******es" -

To whom it may concern:

Motivated by a recent SVTOA mailing urging members to write in with their support of the Lightning, I would like to contribute to the effort as a fellow SVT vehicle owner. SVTOA may use anything I've written to pass along to Ford and has my permission to edit for clarity, spelling, and so forth.

To whom it may concern at Ford Motor Company,

I am writing to you as an SVT owner and automobile enthusiast concerning the decision to "delay" future development of the SVT Lightning based on the new F150 platform. Although I understand that as of now there is no official word that the project has been terminated, I find it frustrating as a performance enthusiast and a backer of Ford that this route has been chosen. Frankly I'm unhappy with several decisions made by the company as of late, not the least of which was the decision to cancel the SVT Focus, the SVT vehicle of my choice. Although not all may take the time to write, I assure you that MANY SVT Focus owners and enthusiasts were disappointed and angered by not only the discontinuation of the vehicle but the lack of development as the model years progressed. What was a car ahead of it's competition was left to fall far behind before finally being "let go" in a rather inglorious end to what had been a good start. Adding to the frustration is the knowledge that other markets (Europe, for example) had access to models such as the turbocharged Focus RS, yet Ford chose to starve it's home country of these best models. Now Europe has a new Focus and is looking forward to new high-performance models and once again we are left with the same old Focus.

Likewise, SVT Lightning owners and enthusiasts are surely upset that the SVT vehicle of their choice is now on the "chopping block." Similar to the SVT Focus situation, Ford has what it needs to bring out a fantastic vehicle but is holding back. The SVT could have made use of the RS parts, but it didn't. The Lightning was already under development - the framework is there, why stop now? The decision to consolidate SVT's efforts into one single model (the Cobra) may be motivated by financial concerns but we fear that there will be much greater financial concerns when potential buyers are forced to look elsewhere for a performance vehicle. What was great about the SVT lineup was that there was a vehicle for cost-conscious enthusiasts (the Focus), one for V8 ponycar enthusiasts (the Cobra), and one for V8 enthusiasts who wanted to be able to haul things around once in awhile (the Lightning). By moving to Cobra production only, all the potential SVT buyers who might have purchased a Focus or a Lightning are going to look to other manufacturer's products. Needless to say, as well, is the fact that companies look to have repeat buyers who "climb the ladder" as their income increases - perhaps in a few years I might have graduated from the SVT Focus to a new SVT Lightning, but now will I be able to or will I go looking at Dodge's SRT products instead?

Image means a lot to the marketing of a company. Ford has always had a good performance image to sell to the public, to bring buyers into the showroom, but lately the decisions seem to be to kill the very cars which project that image. I urge those who make the decisions to reconsider when it comes to the future of the SVT Lightning. Young buyers that might have been captured by the SVT Focus are moving to the Dodge SRT-4 and others. The older buyers that might have purchased an SVT Lightning are going to move to another company as well. The Cobra is nice and I hope the new Cobra will be nicer, but it shouldn't be the ONLY SVT product.

Sincerely yours,

Warren Lukeroth
Old 11-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #8

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Nice letter and very well writen.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:52 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Personally, I am strongly considering going back to a Japanese car. I love my car but I don't know. I wish Ford would pull their effing heads out and bring the euro styled cars to the US. The styling is so much better. I just don't understand how it could not save them money to make one design and sell it everywhere. Even the damn Aussies get cooler cars than we do. It's just depressing to think that Henry Ford was an American car maker and basically started all this and we can't even get the company to sell us what we want.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.