Toyota says next Corolla to get even bigger transformation than Avalon - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
Points 45,208, Level 100
Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Toyota says next Corolla to get even bigger transformation than Avalon

Filed under: Car Buying, New York Auto Show, Budget, Sedan, Toyota

One of America's blandest, yet best-selling cars will be less boring when its next generation arrives next year, Toyota officials promise.

Bill Fay, general manager for Toyota and Scion brands in the U.S., tells Ward's Auto that the Corolla will undergo an even more dramatic makeover than the Toyota Avalon recently underwent, which shocked us with its much svelter appearance at the New York Auto Show in April. Fay declines to get specific, but the move away from a conservative blueprint would be a marked change for Toyota's segment stalwart.

The Corolla received a modest redesign in 2007, but has been outpaced in style and feature points by most of its competition, including cars like the Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cruze and Hyundai Elantra, all of which are newer and richer in feature count and refinement.

Even though the Corolla has never been known as car worthy of Fifth Avenue cruises, it has remained a nearly bulletproof competitor with legendary reliability. Perhaps not coincidentally, it is still one of the top-selling vehicles in America and was the best-selling compact last year.Toyota says next Corolla to get even bigger transformation than Avalon originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Text Source: Autoblog

Check Out FocusRSClub.com
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
I would guess they're talking about the 2014 model up and coming?

I found this information on the 2013 model from

http://http://www.insideline.com/toy...ice-hikes.html

Quote:
The 2013 Toyota Corolla gets a price increase for the new model year, making it more expensive than several of its chief competitors, including the 2013 Ford Focus and 2012 Honda Civic.

Consumers will also see an increase in the price of the 2013 Toyota Matrix, Sienna, Tacoma and Land Cruiser for the new model year.

The base 2013 Toyota Corolla L starts at $17,025, including a $795 destination charge, reflecting a $135 price increase over the base 2012 Toyota Corolla L. The 2012 Corolla L starts at $16,890, including a $760 destination charge. Toyota raised the shipping charge for the 2013 model year.

The uplevel 2013 Corolla S with a four-speed automatic transmission starts at $19,855, including shipping. It is $275 more expensive than the comparable 2012 Corolla S. In comparison, the base 2013 Ford Focus S sedan starts at $16,995, including a $795 destination charge. The 2013 Toyota Corolla is $30 more expensive than the Focus. The base 2012 Honda Civic DX sedan starts at $16,745, including a $790 destination charge. The 2013 Corolla is $280 more expensive than the Civic.
Talk about left to rot on the vine. 4 speed automatic transmission? Still? And no direct injection yet for 2013 I will assume. I don't know how one of the largest players in the automotive world could allow itself to slip so far behind the curve. Sure they have rock solid reliability...but the pluses pretty much end there.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,551, Level 99
Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm sorry, I think Yota is playing it safe. They have a formula that has worked for a long time with their EFI. Just like they did with their engines. When they wanted a reliable car, they used tried and true engine designs like the 22R (2.4 SOHC).

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,894, Level 100
Points: 32,894, Level: 100 Points: 32,894, Level: 100 Points: 32,894, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
They're not going to implement big changes in the last model year of the generation. They'll just throw big incentives on the hood, which combined with the price increases should just give a perceived value boost instead of actual value, and sell them like crazy.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
I would guess they're talking about the 2014 model up and coming?

I found this information on the 2013 model from

http://http://www.insideline.com/toy...ice-hikes.html

Talk about left to rot on the vine. 4 speed automatic transmission? Still? And no direct injection yet for 2013 I will assume. I don't know how one of the largest players in the automotive world could allow itself to slip so far behind the curve. Sure they have rock solid reliability...but the pluses pretty much end there.
Most people want dead reliable, bland, unisprired, basic transportation. Many of the Toyota and Honda faithful do not even look at other vehicles. As long as it drives like and is reliable as thier 1994 Camry, they are happy.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Toyota seems to be selling plenty of the current generation Corollas, although I know I wouldn't be caught dead in one. IMO a big shake up is exactly what the Corolla needs. Remember the 1980s, when the Corolla was a sedan, a (first RWD then later FWD) coupe, and a station wagon? When you could see the differences between trim levels? And the sporty models actually had some sport? Today's Corolla is the blandest vehicle on Earth.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 8,287, Level 61
Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 14 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
Toyota seems to be selling plenty of the current generation Corollas, although I know I wouldn't be caught dead in one. IMO a big shake up is exactly what the Corolla needs. Remember the 1980s, when the Corolla was a sedan, a (first RWD then later FWD) coupe, and a station wagon? When you could see the differences between trim levels? And the sporty models actually had some sport? Today's Corolla is the blandest vehicle on Earth.
I just saw a 30s-ish guy driving a brand new Corolla on the way to work this morning, still had the paper tag on it. I wanted to drag him out of the refrigerator, beat him about the head and shoulders and ask "Why?..... Why?????"
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 548, Level 10
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
Corollas were the only model of car I saw in Afghanistan. Some of them were pretty old. It's got to be one hell of a car to withstand third world roads, drivers, and mechanics. That's why Toyotas are the vehicle of choice in most sh!tholes around the world. If the next generation of Corolla is competitive with and not much more expensive than other C-class cars, it just might be the replacement for my Oldsmobile.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 ST

Points 2,929, Level 33
Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33 Points: 2,929, Level: 33
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I wonder if they'll ever make it decent to look at? The current one is FUGLY.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 8,287, Level 61
Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61 Points: 8,287, Level: 61
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 14 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I wonder if they'll ever make it decent to look at? The current one is FUGLY.
A lot of the things we're saying about the Corolla were said about the 2nd gen Focus. And Ford managed to turn that train around!

However, given that the current Camry has generally been regarded as behind the times upon landing in the marketplace, it may very well be that Toyota has lost its touch and can't offer a cutting edge product anymore.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.