Extended Warranty - Yes or No? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

Points 1,505, Level 22
Points: 1,505, Level: 22 Points: 1,505, Level: 22 Points: 1,505, Level: 22
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Extended Warranty - Yes or No?

When I bought my '12 Focus a month ago, I opted for the extend warranty, which boosted the factory 3 year/36k mile bumper to bumper coverage to 6 year/80k miles. I don't think I have come across one person (that knows their share of automotive information) that has said extended warranties are worth it. Turns out I have 2 months from the date of purchase to get a 100% refund on it, so I'm trying to decide what I should do.

Some info about it:

Cost: $1400
Deductible: $100
Coverage: "Complete, 16 plus Benefits" which covers the following sections:
- Engine
- Turbocharger/Supercharger
- Transmission
- Transfer Case
- Drive Axle
- Steering
- Brakes
- Electrical
- Air Conditioner
- Front and Rear Suspension
- Enhanced Electrical
- Fuel Delivery
- Cooling

To be honest, I didn't know bumper to bumper warranties covered this much of the vehicle. So the question is, should I keep it?

Feel free to comment if you bought it, didn't buy it, think its a waste of money, etc. and why.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5, 09 Coupe

Points 13,452, Level 75
Points: 13,452, Level: 75 Points: 13,452, Level: 75 Points: 13,452, Level: 75
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 29 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
The way I look at it, if something is going to happen to a new vehicle it is going to happen within the first 36,000 miles in most cases. I personally have never gone with an extended warranty on any of my vehicles and never had any problems. But if you want to have peace of mind about things you could always go with the extended warranty.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,505, Level 22
Level Up 5% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
The way I look at it, if something is going to happen to a new vehicle it is going to happen within the first 36,000 miles in most cases.
This is exactly what someone said at work. He recommended I take that $1400 and put it towards proper maintenance.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,504, Level 80
Points: 15,504, Level: 80 Points: 15,504, Level: 80 Points: 15,504, Level: 80
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 17 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
You WAY overpaid for the warranty. Cancel it and get your money back. 100%
(you can rebuy it anytime later if you want)
I cancelled. (the dealer will send you a check, or reduce your loan if the payment was financed, and send you a copy)
You have ONE YEAR from date of purchase to buy the warranty for the same lower price. and SHOP AROUND. Ziegler Ford online sells the same Ford warranty for HALF what your dealer charges.(and one of all Ford dealers around me will match the Zeigler price.)

I bought the warranty from my dealer just because too zonked out to check it out first. But i cancelled and got 100% of my money back INCLUDING State sales tax IF it is cancelled in the 100% back period. Once past that, you cannot get tax back at all.

Now i am in the eleventh month,and trying myself to decide if i want to pay about $625 for the bumper to bumper 48,000mi seven years with same day loaner..
I just have not yet made up my mind.. I have about 6 weeks to decide.
I have the money.. so i am just not sure. (i am leaning to NOT buying it.)

The real reason warranties are sold is THEY MAKE MONEY. So the
average' warranty buyer uses less than they paid. and Ford makes money, on average.

The best reason to buy a warranty is if you can forsee money issues up ahead, and want to be free from worry. Then the warranty is a great way to have peace of mind that you will not get stuck with an expensive breakdown.. (you are really paying for the PEACE OF MIND, and not the chance repairs..) Most likely you WILL have use of the warranty, maybe half of what you paid.. Some little thing.. or. you might never need it at all.
If money will not be an issue, DO NOT buy the warranty.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Candy red SE 5spd

Points 4,341, Level 41
Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
If you have the auto tranny it might be worth $1400 alone and very few people have run their car to the 36k mile mark right now but the 2012 does seem to have above average issues than I'm used to with all my other cars I've owned and what I've seen on several import forums I frequent. With that said we didn't get it. lol
Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,505, Level 22
Level Up 5% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Those Ziegler Ford ESPs are very interesting. I'll have to compare the coverage of the one I have to those. Thanks for sharing that info.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 24506
What I Drive: a Volvo??!?

Points 6,980, Level 55
Points: 6,980, Level: 55 Points: 6,980, Level: 55 Points: 6,980, Level: 55
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 VenomRogue Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
on a new car no.

on a used car, yes. we bought extended warranties on both our Ford Explorer and Dodge Grand Caravan, both had 60k'ish miles, and both warranties paid for themselves several times over. We got the 100k mile warranty through our credit union, with $50 deductible.

Yes, I have issues.

Next question.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,505, Level 22
Level Up 5% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomRogue View Post
on a new car no.

on a used car, yes. we bought extended warranties on both our Ford Explorer and Dodge Grand Caravan, both had 60k'ish miles, and both warranties paid for themselves several times over. We got the 100k mile warranty through our credit union, with $50 deductible.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Are you saying the vehicle will be fine for the first 60k miles and then you'll need it? If both your extended warranties paid for themselves then it sounds like you would recommend it. Or is it that you don't know how the previous owners treated it?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101334
What I Drive: 2012, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focusiswhite Good Standing Member
I have not taken delivery of my new Titanium, but it is going to be ready this Monday for pick up. When I had gone to sign the pre-purchase papers, the dealer offered 5 years 150000 kms premium care (including road side assist) for $1800, which I agreed then. now after reading this thread, it seems that I am paying too much for the balance 2 years when the factory warranty will not be there. can I still cancel this extended warranty, which I had agreed earlier, but I have not yet taken the delivery of the vehicle? Should I ask them to cancel this extended warranty? The premium care package is displayed here: http://www.ford.ca/partsservice/pdf/...Brochure_E.pdf

Last edited by Focusiswhite; 07-14-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,504, Level 80
Points: 15,504, Level: 80 Points: 15,504, Level: 80 Points: 15,504, Level: 80
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 17 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusiswhite View Post
I have not taken delivery of my new Titanium, but it is going to be ready this Monday for pick up. When I had gone to sign the pre-purchase papers, the dealer offered 5 years 150000 kms premium care (including road side assist) for $1800, which I agreed then. now after reading this thread, it seems that I am paying too much for the balance 2 years when the factory warranty will not be there. can I still cancel this extended warranty, which I had agreed earlier, but I have not yet taken the delivery of the vehicle? Should I ask them to cancel this extended warranty? The premium care package is displayed here: http://www.ford.ca/partsservice/pdf/...Brochure_E.pdf
Yes you can cancel the extended warranty ANYTIME in the first month and get100% of the money (and any tax) back.
If you have not picked up the car, but have signed the papers, you still can just cancel the extended warranty.
The dealer makes big $$$ on the warranty, and cannot refuse to cancel it. So you might just let it stay on the contract, and cancel it two weeks from pickup.

Cancelling it the day you pick up may cause you to sit for a few hours while they rewrite the paperwork. So IMO just take the car AND the warranty at pickup. they will be smiling.. Then cancel it a few weeks later. With the Ford warranty, they HAVE to refund your money 100%.

Added: my knowledge is for USA, i assume it is the same for your location, so you might double check it for your place of residence..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.