Several off the wall sort of questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83794
What I Drive: '05, red, klr

FF Reputation: 1 AlvinTostig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Several off the wall sort of questions

Hello All!

I have a 2010 Focus that I bought new around 9 months ago and save for a rattle (that the dealer took care of), I've been very happy with the car.

My situation is that I have no job and that I'm toying with the idea of getting a quality metal detector that's specialized for finding gold, as here in Nevada there are in fact nuggets out there to be found. And so, because I don't have money to buy a truck or a jeep, I would like to know if you folks think that I could get by using my Focus for going down some pretty rough roads to do what I have in mind, i.e. camping out and basically roughing it while looking for that big nugget? (Of course I wouldn't go fast down such roads, as I'm not that stupid.)

Incidentally, I was blessed to have a road construction foreman tell me that I could work with him and his crew starting in April or May and that "it pays well" (even for an entry level guy like me). I'm for sure going to take him up on his offer and might possibly then pursue the gold hunting during the cold months when he has to shut his operation down for a spell. (Maybe go to Arizona and look for gold at that time.) However, I am concerned that he might for some reason change his mind, thus I'd like to get some answers now as to whether or not my mighty little Ford Focus could handle the many bumpy back roads for camping should the foreman tell me something I'd rather not hear.

On another matter, I recently took my car in for the 7,500 mile service check-up even though it had less than 4,000 miles on it. The dealership sent me a notice that it was due and when I called them and told them it wasn't near the 7,500 miles point, I was told that I needed to bring it in anyway because "oil can go bad after 6 months." Hmmm that in my mind doesn't strike me as being true, but they seem like decent folks over there and so I can't figure out why they'd lie about such a thing. Any thoughts you might have to share on the issue would be much appreciated.

Also, a couple of months ago the big, mean wind picked up and blew my motorcycle into the hood of my car which resulted in a dent that the dealer told me would cost around $440 to repair. I would thus like to know if any of you have been in similar circumstances with wanting to have a dent taken care of and, if so, can you tell me if it's generally better to have the dealership take care of it or go to one of the many speciality places that do such repair jobs? And, does it matter if I wait awhile, say a year or so, to get it taken care of or will it be harder to have the (white) paint match up as a result of the sun beating down on it?

Lastly, my insurance company, USAA, raised my premium by $78 (and before the dent happened) and that struck me as kinda odd considering I haven't driven the car that much and that I'm 57 with an excellent record. It also bothers me that they sent me a snail-mail the other day informing me that they wanted to "verify" some stuff regarding my policy and that I was to call them. My suspicion is that they want to get me to buy more crap with them and that they're fine with blowing my time to hear what they have to say. I'll add that I really don't understand how these companies can charge people so much, as I'm paying $557.00 for six month full-coverage with a $500 deductible. I've not owned a car for a couple of decades and so here I am back in the game with a really sweet little car and so it just seems like a ton of money these outfits are getting in order for people to be able to drive.

Well folks, I thank you profusely for taking the time to read my rambling here. And if there's any comment(s) you'd like to make regarding my concerns I thank you in advance, and do so most sincerely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

Points 8,431, Level 61
Points: 8,431, Level: 61 Points: 8,431, Level: 61 Points: 8,431, Level: 61
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yea as long as your not lowered you can go down bumpy roads. hell i am lowered and i fly down bumpy dirt roads , fields , all kinds of crazy places in my focus. just be gentle and remember its not a 4x4. but you should be fine , the focus is a very versatile vehicle.

as for mileage "services" just do your oil changes every3-5k miles , maybe run a little seafoam through your tank and change your fuel filter every 30k or so and you should be good up to 100k plus. ive done nothing but the bare essentials on my 05 and ive got over 180k miles and she still runs great.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83794
What I Drive: '05, red, klr

FF Reputation: 1 AlvinTostig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks Fattie for the comments! It's good to hear that she'll be able to handle some rough roads if I take her easy. I feel better now. Again, Thanks!

Btw, I did run a can of Seafoam through her recently and I'll do it every 5 or so fill-ups if that makes sense.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.