If you were in my shoes, what would you do? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73058
What I Drive: '00 ZTS Sedan 5MT Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 iagei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I'm 19, and I own a 00' ZTS MTX that I bought in May of last year.

Since it's purchase, it's averaged over $200 a month in repairs.

- Broken Springs
- Bent wheels
- assorted tires
- wheel bearing failure
- brake failure(s)
- and now my CV joints are done.

I just started a job as a delivery driver, and I make a nice amount of $$$ (relatively) given the fact that I'm not there that much. I also have a 2nd job. I don't have any bills aside from phone/insurance, and I need a good car to drive (not only for my job) but because I'm planning on going back to school in the fall. (part-time).

This car seems to be a huge hindrance to me right now. I'm tempted to cut and run, and finance the sale purchase (coupled with a little savings) and buying something newer and nicer (Duratec Focus, Toyota Yaris, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 3) and more reliable for driving. This car has eaten the equivalent of a down payment and monthy payments of a new Fiesta. I wish I had just financed a new car from the get-go.

Do you think I should finance (or at least sell the car and get another one w/cash) or should I keep pouring money into it? I love the way it drives, but golly I hate the fact that something always breaks every time I look at the car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93642
What I Drive: 02 svt

FF Reputation: 1 02svtfordfocusrob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
hit me up if selling the focus...im local...
thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Points 5,510, Level 47
Points: 5,510, Level: 47 Points: 5,510, Level: 47 Points: 5,510, Level: 47
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagei View Post
I'm 19, and I own a 00' ZTS MTX that I bought in May of last year.

Since it's purchase, it's averaged over $200 a month in repairs.

- Broken Springs
- Bent wheels
- assorted tires
- wheel bearing failure
- brake failure(s)
- and now my CV joints are done.

I just started a job as a delivery driver, and I make a nice amount of $$$ (relatively) given the fact that I'm not there that much. I also have a 2nd job. I don't have any bills aside from phone/insurance, and I need a good car to drive (not only for my job) but because I'm planning on going back to school in the fall. (part-time).

This car seems to be a huge hindrance to me right now. I'm tempted to cut and run, and finance the sale purchase (coupled with a little savings) and buying something newer and nicer (Duratec Focus, Toyota Yaris, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 3) and more reliable for driving. This car has eaten the equivalent of a down payment and monthy payments of a new Fiesta. I wish I had just financed a new car from the get-go.

Do you think I should finance (or at least sell the car and get another one w/cash) or should I keep pouring money into it? I love the way it drives, but golly I hate the fact that something always breaks every time I look at the car.
As far as problems with old cars go that doesn't sound that bad. Unless things like your alternator and compressor start going there really isn't much cause for alarm. That said, you never know what can happen with an older vehicle, things break when they feel like it not when YOU would find it convenient. If it were my car and I valued reliability here's what I would do...

Clean the engine bay (properly), vacuum and clean the inside, wash and wax it, fix any obvious problems and get rid of it. You'll feel so much better. I used to own a 1996 Cadillac Deville that I got from my grandparents and it it ate money for breakfast; it needed at LEAST $800 in repairs per month, which negated me having a job in the first place. You might miss your old car, but after a year of driving around without once needing anything major fixed you'll be okay with it. Do me a favor though, don't buy a Yaris or Vibe; the Yaris is a joke of a car and the Vibe is a re-badged Toyota Matrix. You can do much better for the money you'd pay for either of those cars.

Edit: scratch that; if you buy a Yaris I will find you and spray paint it pink while you sleep.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

Points 16,453, Level 82
Points: 16,453, Level: 82 Points: 16,453, Level: 82 Points: 16,453, Level: 82
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
^^^ agreed. look at some of the 08-11s. 08s around here ive seen go fro 7995
Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93642
What I Drive: 02 svt

FF Reputation: 1 02svtfordfocusrob Good Standing Member
yeah older cars have a higher upkeep.....thats for sure....
you pay one way or another...
if its a older car you pay for problems that go wrong..
if its a newer car you pay more $$$$
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 23,208, Level 93
Points: 23,208, Level: 93 Points: 23,208, Level: 93 Points: 23,208, Level: 93
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 10 Twenty Great Standing Member
To me, '00 just isn't an 'old' car. Cars always need maintenance, period, but bent wheels and broken springs? Really? From your brief summary this car seems like it's trouble. After the Focus, the next newest vehicle in my family's fleet is a '98, and none of our cars have had problems like those.
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

Points 166,991, Level 100
Points: 166,991, Level: 100 Points: 166,991, Level: 100 Points: 166,991, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Sell old Focus.

Buy new Focus.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

I dunno. I'm at a real crossroads. I'm starting school in the fall, and I need to secure student loans. But I also need a car. I don't want to kill myself with loans....
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Ended up with a Yaris after a front strut exploded, and the front axles went out. Got a deal I couldn't pass up....

(6650 for a 5-speed Yaris "S" sedan with 70K)

I do miss my Focus (I got $1400 for it) this new car everything works. I couldn't find a focus with the same options and miles for this price....
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,369, Level 99
Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, but you had almost fixed everything on that car. Now instead of spending 200/mo, you're spending how much? I agree that the Yaris would be a better car for delivery, but I'm not convinced that it's worth the money. It sounds like you traded it in at a dealer too, and that's always a no-no IMO. You could've gotten $2k+ for the car if you'd sold it through local papers or CL or whatever. How many payments would that cover?

I have problems like that. The wife really needs a new vehicle. Hers is an old tank that sucks fuel. However, we only spend like $2k a year on fuel in her vehicle. So there's no point in me purchasing a $12k vehicle to save $1k a year. That's about the price of a Mazda5 which gets 2x the mpg of the Windstar.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.