Bought a new mustng. What to do with the svtf? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bought a new mustng. What to do with the svtf?

So after longing after mustangs most of my life, i finally pulled the trigger tonight. A new 2012 mustang gt, black with 6 speed. Sticker price 30,105 my purchase price after a lot of negotiation, 24,600!

I currently own a 2001 s10 4x4 with 150k on it that i paid 4k for two years ago. I think i can sell it private party for 3500 although it is nice having a trucj around sometimes. I also have my beloved 2003 svt zx5 focus with audiophile, cold weather package, moonroof and hids. Car has 80k miles on it. this car has had some bad luck over the last couple of years.
Back bumper is cracked from a hit and run
Front bumper has scratches and white paint on it from another parking lot incident while i was at work
O2 sensor needs to be replaced as i have had a cel for it for about 3 years. I put two new ones in it but finally quit after realizing it did not affect mpg.
Clutch master cylinder has a slow leak, has been leaking for half a year.
Power steering intermittantly leaks not sure if its a hose or the pump
As of recent i have a coolant leak. It might be from the last oil change where they overfilled the reservoir.
The exhaust tip rusted off last winter
It also has a 3x3 rust spot just behind each front wheel well

So, the offered me 4400 for my car. With tax savings it comes out to 4600. Kbb trade fair value is 4700. Private party fair condition is about 6200 which i seriously doubt i could get in its current shape.

I know i have not treated her right but i do love this car! I really would love to keep it but i would have to fix her up which is quite a few hundred. My dad who owns the truck with me thinks we should keep the truck. I am not sure if i want two cars but im also not sure i want to drive the new stang in the winter. Not because of the snow but cuz of the nasty salt.

So, what would you guys do? I have had the svt for exactly 7 years. Keep it or cut her loose and make new memories with the stang?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you have to trade to afford the payments, or for any other reason?

You own it free and clear?

Sell it yourself. Hell, $4601 is better than $4600. Plus, if you put the $4600 CASH into your pocket, you're much more likely to use it for the boost you will eventually want to add to the Rustang. :)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
I do own it free and clear, same with the truck.

I think my biggest dilemma is how many cars I want to own. I would just put liability on the svt as im not paying premium on it as a second car.

If I do the one car thing I will put snow tires on the stock rims and get summer tires on some black rims.

The trucks private party fair is 5600, good 6300. I think I can probably get 3500-4k for it (I bought it at a fairly good deal two years ago). The truck is a better option because A its a truck and B its 4x4. BUT it gets a consistent 12 mpg (stupid 4.3!) and with 150k on the odo I wonder how long it will be around.

I dont HAVE to trade the svt. I am approved for the full purchase price which would allow me to sell the svt and or s10 myself which may or may not be easy. The difference in payment every month between svt trade and not, is about $85 a month. Which I could put down 3-4k cash and put that money back in my account after I private party either (or both..) vehicles.

I do LOVE my svt but at the same time there is a considerable dollar amount of repairs it needs. Even just replacing the clutch master cylinder myself (which I heart is a huge PITA) and fixing the power steering leak (wherever its coming from...) are not HUGE deals but I have not done them YET so I am hesitant I will take the time to do them if I keep the car.

My throwout bearing has also been rattling for a few thousand miles.... I think a new clutch is in order in the next 5k-10k miles as well which is something to consider.
It also has broken sway bar links on the front, just figured that out after hearing some weird noises upon entering my driveway.

As you can tell im totally on the fence with this... The though of selling it kills me but the though of keeping it and fixing it pains me too!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

Points 9,660, Level 66
Points: 9,660, Level: 66 Points: 9,660, Level: 66 Points: 9,660, Level: 66
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
HOLY HELL!!!!! $24k for 412hp!!! THAT IS SO MUCH WIN CONGRATS!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 548, Level 10
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
My perspective might not be relevant since I have no particular love for an old Focus, but here it is: For many years now, I've always had a (relatively) nice car that I drive daily and an old beat up pickup for backup transportation and to haul shit around. Keeping those two vehicles around assures that I have a vehicle for just about any situation that arises. I have a nice car to drive 90% of the time, and I'm still covered if my car breaks down, if I need to haul some firewood, if the roads are covered with snow and salt, if I need to park in the ghetto, etc. As long as I have enough money and parking space, I plan to keep this arrangement.

EDIT: BTW, it sounds like you got an awesome deal on an awesome car.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,632, Level 78
Points: 14,632, Level: 78 Points: 14,632, Level: 78 Points: 14,632, Level: 78
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
congrats on ur purchase man. i myself am looking at getting a '12 mustang gt here maybe in the next few months. but im keeping my focus as the mustang will be the fun car. u got a great ass deal on it man.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90621
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black svt

FF Reputation: 3 Nashville SVT Good Standing Member
Dude, that's sick! Pics!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 38,438, Level 100
Points: 38,438, Level: 100 Points: 38,438, Level: 100 Points: 38,438, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I want to see pics, please. I'd keep the SVT nothing wrong with having a few cars (for backup). SVTF are getting rarer and you'll probably be kicking your self if you got rid of it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

Points 9,660, Level 66
Points: 9,660, Level: 66 Points: 9,660, Level: 66 Points: 9,660, Level: 66
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
not really, the 2013 starts production in feb... some dealers are trying to clear their lots for new inventory
nows the time to deal on a 12 mustang, taurus, or fusion
yeah i know. but 412hp for that low of a price is a WIN!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35708
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

Points 1,781, Level 24
Points: 1,781, Level: 24 Points: 1,781, Level: 24 Points: 1,781, Level: 24
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Luis360 Good Standing Member
keep the SVTF, its a collectible!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.