Oil filters - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53540
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Points 1,073, Level 17
Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hammer2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oil filters

I am just curious and not into bashing anyone. I am just wondering why people think FRAM filters are so bad. I have used them for the last 25+ years and have no problems with them My last vehicle had over 320,000km, no problem. My Focus has 79,400km, no problem. My wife's Cavalier has over 179,000km, no problem. The biggest complaint that I have found is it has cardboard end caps. Ok, so what? People complained that the plastic intake manifolds on vehicles are no good, well they are still using them and have been for many years now. I decided to take apart the filters for my Focus and the Cavalier and look at them. I do 5000km oil changes and use synthetic oil on both vehicles(I will not disclose the brand, not relevant here). I can post pics if people want to see them, don't have them right now. The filters look like an oil filter after 5000km, the media is soaked through, the end caps are still on with no deterioration, drain back valve there and by pass valve there. The only difference is the Cavalier filter dose not have the plastic valve and spring, it is just a piece of metal that will flex if pressure builds. The only difference between a metal end cap and the cardboard that I can see is when it would come to extreme conditions. That could be extreme heat mixed with high pressure. Racing or overloaded towing come to mind, this could wear away at the cardboard more then the metal obviously. I have read people saying "brand A" has a thicker can, or "brand B" has more filter media. But still the biggest complaint is the cardboard end caps. Looking at what they look like on 2 different model(3614 and 3387A) filters on 2 different engine sizes(2.0 and 2.2) with 2 different milages(one high, one low) on 2 different brands of vehicle(Ford and Chev), the filter dose the job. I am not saying that it is a perfect filter, but I think there are far worse things you can do to engine then put a FRAM filter on it. This company would not be in business if the "total engine failures" happened like people say they did just by using FRAM. If you do the once a year oil change or just drain the oil and change filter every second change, then you may exceed the capacities of the filter, but this could be true with the high end filter to. I would like to see a test that would put the FRAM and other filters on a engine, run it over normal operating conditions with some extreme conditions thrown in just to simulate normal driving for that particular vehicle, and have the test monitor the flow rate and filter efficiency over a typical oil change interval, say, 5000 to 8000km. The only test I see is people hack open a filter(new or used) and then just visually look at and give there opinion. I can confidently say that a FRAM will work just fine for the conditions it will see in the typical vehicle under normal operating conditions, but this is my opinion. Sorry for the long wind, but would like to see more then "my friend says this", or "I know a mechanic...". Well, I know someone who was told not to change the oil in the winter because it could ruin the motor, this is true, I only ever did oil changes on that car in the spring and summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

Points 2,840, Level 32
Points: 2,840, Level: 32 Points: 2,840, Level: 32 Points: 2,840, Level: 32
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
I have used them before in a pinch,and never had a problem,but they aren't and never will be my 1st choice. I use OEM for whatever brand of vehicle I own at the time.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 34316
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus Hatch SE

Points 23, Level 1
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kalvin00 Good Standing Member
Holy wall of text.

The cardboard inside isn't the only part of FRAM oil filters that sucks. (I'm speaking about the cheap one, I seem to recall they have some 'higher end' ones that are better.)

Why not spend a couple bucks more and get a good oil filter?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

Points 15,613, Level 80
Points: 15,613, Level: 80 Points: 15,613, Level: 80 Points: 15,613, Level: 80
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I don't get them because I don't want to risk getting one like this. Every Fram I've taken apart has been like this by the way

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,073, Level 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Again, you keep saying you look at the end caps. But has anyone ever tested how they work? The video clip doesn't do anything for me. All I see is a filter that has already been cut open, how do I know he didn't break the filter media first off camera? I don't know, my opinion is based on what I see. Right now, my use of these filters is based on the track record that I have with them, real world experience with many miles and years of use. Also, anything that is mass produced, and this includes the high end filters, can and probable will have some that get through that will fail.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,613, Level 80
Level Up 53% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Like I said. Everyone I have pulled apart has been like that. Ive seen them collapsed, missing the drain back valve, stuck bypass valves and ripped end caps. Why save a dolour when you're protecting something that can cost $1000?? I'll stick to motor craft.

Heres another good one

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,073, Level 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
What dose the last one prove? I could piss on Mobil 1 filter and it would show the same result. This is the point I am trying to make. There is lots of crap out there but no s$%t to prove it. All the videos; talk are like the blurry pictures people always have of Bigfoot or a UFO. Toyota had that massive brake recall that was far worse to vehicle then the two videos on this post, but people still buy and drive a Toyota. Ford diesels over the past years have had numerous problems, people still buy them and use them. Yet I still see nothing to support the FRAM hatred. People post videos like this and that is all it takes.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,613, Level 80
Level Up 53% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Well since you seem to be one of those people who is always right in your own head. I'll just stop. Bottom line, I will NEVER use a FRAM filter. I'll stick with Motorcraft filters. They're a dolour less and a better filter. You can go ahead and use FRAMs. Just don't come crying when you end up getting one that fails
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,073, Level 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
There is nothing that has been stated anywhere online with vids or pics that actually prove FRAM's are bad. This is all I am stating. All people have done is cut one open and look at it. Your mindset is the same as mine, but you still base your decision on what you only see or have heard. I am just trying to find something that tells and shows me something. Pissing on a can, well the filter stood up to it.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Points 15,613, Level 80
Level Up 53% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Well go buy 5 FRAMS, take them all apart. I can almost guarantee one of them will have something wrong with it. I've taken apart every filter i have changed on my own. Only frams had stuff wrong with them. I've taken plenty of them apart, out of the box, that had a missing drain back valve or separated pleats. I personally don't want to risk my motor when I can get a motor craft filter for a dolour less that, in my opinion, is a better filter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.