Read a very interesting article on MFT in c&d - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

Points 19,900, Level 89
Points: 19,900, Level: 89 Points: 19,900, Level: 89 Points: 19,900, Level: 89
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Read a very interesting article on MFT in c&d

LOL I'll quote it word for word, In 1965, Gregg Allman painted a bull’s-eye on his moccasin, then shot himself in the foot. I believe some alcohol was involved. Some planning, too. Allman had called an ambulance, and he didn’t pull the trigger until he heard the sirens drawing near. His aerated foot deeply impressed the draft board, and Allman consequently missed the great big party that was Vietnam.

With its new MyFord Touch (and MyLincoln Touch), Ford failed to consult any rock icons beforehand and may likewise have shot itself in the foot. Some blue-oval toes may have gone missing. Some customers, too.

The problem is that Ford’s “Driver Connect Technology”—that’s what it says on the cover of the 50-page MyFord Touch handbook—is not readily grasped by all of us. The system includes an eight-inch touch screen, two 4.2-inch LCD screens, and two five-way buttons on the steering wheel. There’s even an entire qwerty keyboard, handy for Americans who really despise driving. Two pages of the handbook deal with what might initially appear on the home screen, made simpler by “22 customizable shortcuts.” That’s what it says. What appeared on the home screen of the Ford Edge I was driving was this question: “Where am I?” (I already knew: Sitting inside an SUV and wondering if I might yet find keys to a different SUV.)

What next popped up was an LCD fuel gauge, that, along with the temp gauge, comprised one amorphous Ford-blue blob. Whenever I glanced at it, the temp gauge said I had only a quarter-tank of fuel left. So I consulted the handbook and found a total of 23 separate color illustrations of  blue-blob tachometers and blue-blob temp gauges appended to blue-blob gas gauges, and that’s when the handbook began its new career as sound-deadening material in the glove box.

MyFord Touch

At least I did better than road-test editor Mike Sutton. Driving a Lincoln MKX, Sutton traveled two blocks before the infotainment system seized, with the stereo blasting at a volume that would have stunned Ted Nugent’s dog. “I had zero control over volume, track, radio, climate control, and navigation, and there was no on/off,” Sutton told me, pretending to flick a tab of earwax off his vest. “I returned to the office, disconnected the battery cable, reconnected it, and all was fine.” Unhooking the power supply is a kind of enema for computers, I am told. Ha-ha, funny, funny, and Sutton was certainly amused, too. Then he experienced an identical techno meltdown in an Explorer, and he seemed to be somewhat less amused.

Speaking of funny, it’s funny the system is called MyFord Touch because the touch part is a little kablooey, too. To control the HVAC, I had to confront what looks like a collection of  little Amish shirt buttons. They go “tock” when they’re touched but otherwise don’t move at all or feel as if they’re connected to anything other than a fairy-tale grandfather clock. The tockers are tricky, because they respond to a superlight touch or to heat or to my leg or to my morning coffee but not to gloves at all. There’s a radio-volume control on the steering wheel. It’s half slider and half rocker—a “sliker.” To switch the radio from Sirius to FM, I toggled through the five-way switch, and once I arrived at the desired band, I had to press a button called “OK.” Okay? Jeepers, I already figured it was okay; that’s why I went there. It reminded me of an experience last week when I poured a cup of coffee for myself and a waiter said, “Do you want a cup of coffee?”

“Uh, okay,” I said.

In the Edge, I noticed 18 red LEDs at the base of the windshield. They flashed in radiant unison as I drove through an intersection. This so unnerved me that I actually retrieved the sound-deadening material from the glove box and searched the table of contents for a chapter titled “Locating the nearest AMA-approved defibrillator right goddamn now.” No luck.

MyFord Touch

On the LCD screen to the left of the gas gauge, the words “Vehicle Collision Warning” appeared. I was keen to learn if this was associated with the ruby dashboard fireworks and thus began pushing and pulling as many switches, buttons, rockers, and sliders as I could locate. Suddenly the gas gauge morphed into a single coherent blue LCD that I could read at a glance. Way to go, me.

Some Ford owners have likewise found themselves on tippy-toes in this technological drowning pool, and it has led to a drop in Ford’s ranking in the J.D. Power and Associates U.S. Initial Quality Study [see “Quality, Quantified,” October 2011]. Ford expects to rectify the problem with online instructionals, workshops, after-sale training, and weekend study groups. Weekend study groups? That will certainly add to the euphoric experience of  buying a new car.

A patient Ford spokesman suggested that if I were to use MyFord Touch’s voice-recognition system, many of my puzzlements would wither. I’m hoping that the voice recognition includes word recognition, including the words right here.

Like Gregg Allman, I’ll be painting a bull’s-eye but not on my moccasin. It will be on a dashboard. No need for an ambulance. Only one injury will be sustained, and it will be fatal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89202
What I Drive: '90 Miata wife has the 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 2 ABFORDGUY Good Standing Member
I really hate all these terrible MFT reviews. I am THE most technologically inept person ever, and i use this sytem with ease. It's had a few freeze ups on me, but so has EVERY computer I've ever worked with. All in all I love it, I will probably never buy another vehicle that doesn't have a similar system.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Points 19,900, Level 89
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Wow rave reviews...We just had a 2012 exploder in our shop we did a blinder laser jammer in it and it had the sony system...and it was incredibely nice for stock...the car only had 3000 miles on it. They didnt work out all the bugs before they launched it that was the only problem.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
My wife and I rented an MFT equipped Explorer and found it pretty simple to use, we didn't feel like it was something we wanted in our Focus, but it wasn't aggravating.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53540
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Points 1,073, Level 17
Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hammer2.0 Good Standing Member
I have not used the system so I cannot comment on its ease or difficulty of use. My concern is, what will it cost to repair it when it breaks? By the sounds of it, when it crashes you lose everything, radio and climate controls. Have you every tried to diagnose and electrical problem on a vehicle, it is a blooming nightmare. There is not much user friendly do it yourself type work that you can do on this system. I can diagnose the problem on my car and probably repair it over the weekend. This system could be in the shop for days.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Points 19,900, Level 89
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
yeah tell me about it LOL! what type of scanners does ford use nower days?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53540
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Points 1,073, Level 17
Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hammer2.0 Good Standing Member
Most techs that I have seen use a laptop hooked into Fords own network. There is information that auto makers don't want to share, what other way would they have to make you come back to them for service?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer2.0 View Post
I have not used the system so I cannot comment on its ease or difficulty of use. My concern is, what will it cost to repair it when it breaks? By the sounds of it, when it crashes you lose everything, radio and climate controls. Have you every tried to diagnose and electrical problem on a vehicle, it is a blooming nightmare. There is not much user friendly do it yourself type work that you can do on this system. I can diagnose the problem on my car and probably repair it over the weekend. This system could be in the shop for days.
It's probably a nightmare if it breaks anytime soon, but in a few years there will be remanufactured units for sale at a reasonable price. That's how it was with my Saab and its SID (Saab Information Display), and considering how MFT is available in almost all new Fords there will probably be a big market for remanufactured units which will drive down the cost. Either way, I'm glad my Focus doesn't have it :-P

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,823, Level 44
Points: 4,823, Level: 44 Points: 4,823, Level: 44 Points: 4,823, Level: 44
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazz2010focus View Post
yeah tell me about it LOL! what type of scanners does ford use nower days?
The same as they have used for several years.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87240
What I Drive: 2012 RCM Ti Hatch, 2012 Elantra Ltd

FF Reputation: 5 Binyana2011 Good Standing Member
Meh. My December 2011 Focus with MFT works just fine. You have to be pretty stupid to not understand how to use it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.