One for the thumb...5 time Focus owner - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5700
What I Drive: 2012 Blaze Metallic SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 SkipDaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
One for the thumb...5 time Focus owner

Hi all,

I just traded in my '03 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX5 (70,000 easy-living miles) for a '12 SE Hatch in Blaze Metallic. Talk about night and day. This makes the 5th Focus I have purchased for me or my wife, dating back to the '01 ZX3 (yellow, of course) and her two different wagons.

Two questions that I haven't really been exposed to before:

1. I got what I think was a great deal on the ESP (which I never ever purchase) but I am now bumper to bumper up through year 7 what what amounted to a little over 20 bucks a month extra on my 5 year Ford Credit loan. Seemed silly to turn that one down. I think I am reading the info correctly, but I do not HAVE to go to a dealership for maintenance, but only a certified mechanic, and keep all documentation. Is that correct?

2. The damn screens will be the death of me, I can guarantee it. (well, that, and the extra 30 horses and the fun of the dual clutch automatic). I figure I will get better at not spending so much time looking at them as I drive it more. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the Speed to show on the left screen. I know the speedometer is just to the right of it, but I figured I would check.

Any other tips/tricks/hints about the car that I may not have picked up on just yet? I did find a thumbnail flash drive on the cheap and put 8gb of music on that, instead of plugging in an ipod each time I get in the car.

Thanks,

Skip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93729
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

Points 1,136, Level 18
Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Pretty sure you will need to take it to a dealership. I probably wouldn't put up with the hassle of explaining your ESP to a third party.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

For service on the ESP, right. I was thinking more for the scheduled maintenance to keep my ESP valid. Do I have to do those at the Dealership? Probably double what my guy charges.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,430, Level 52
Points: 6,430, Level: 52 Points: 6,430, Level: 52 Points: 6,430, Level: 52
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Wait a minute, joined in 2004, your 5th Focus and only your second post? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!? lol, I keed.

I'd say welcome, but you've been around longer than most active members on this board.

Congrats on the 5th Focus!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,355, Level 61
Points: 8,355, Level: 61 Points: 8,355, Level: 61 Points: 8,355, Level: 61
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 27 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
Wait a minute, joined in 2004, your 5th Focus and only your second post? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?!? lol, I keed.

I'd say welcome, but you've been around longer than most active members on this board.

Congrats on the 5th Focus!
lol do posts on this forum get pruned? thats dedication, i would have forgotten my user name/pw if id been away for that long between posts!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 39,746, Level 100
Points: 39,746, Level: 100 Points: 39,746, Level: 100 Points: 39,746, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipDaddy View Post
Any other tips/tricks/hints about the car that I may not have picked up on just yet? I did find a thumbnail flash drive on the cheap and put 8gb of music on that, instead of plugging in an ipod each time I get in the car.

Thanks,

Skip.
SE don't have the chrome on the bottom of the windows correct? The rubber on those is made from a softer material than other cars due to it being bio-degradable. Anyways it can "scratch" pretty easily with a terry cloth towel. The easiest way to clean those and take out scratches is to use a dry Mr. clean magic eraser. just make long smooth strokes and they will come right out then just simply wash down with water. Or blow off with air compressor nozzle.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51482
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 INCUBUSRATM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Holy shit. Never have I seen a guy join a forum years ago and JUST now make a his first posts... Wow...

Congrats on the new car, though! It sounds like a winner. I love my 07 Focus and will drive it until it has no drive left in it. ;)

I know nothing about ESPs, so can't comment on that. But sounds like it may be best to stick with the dealer. I do for my oil changes and such (buy my own synthetic and filter from Wal-Mart, and pay the dealer $11 to do it). Only time I've gone elsewhere was for my tires. Got them off of tirerack.com and had them delivered and installed at Gateway. But I have no ESP or anything, so...
Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Quote:
1. I got what I think was a great deal on the ESP (which I never ever purchase) but I am now bumper to bumper up through year 7 what what amounted to a little over 20 bucks a month extra on my 5 year Ford Credit loan. Seemed silly to turn that one down. I think I am reading the info correctly, but I do not HAVE to go to a dealership for maintenance, but only a certified mechanic, and keep all documentation. Is that correct?
No correction you paid $1,200 for your ESP. $20 x 60 = $1,200

Secondly you can do basic service anywhere you like, so long as it's done correctly.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

And yes you paid for the ESP, trust me you didn't get it for free lol.

Dealership wants you to service the vehicle at their dealership cause you are going pay them for that, if they say to keep the ESP valid you have to service the vehicle at that dealership tell them you want the GM to write it out that you must service your vehicle at that dealership. He won't do it, cause he knows better.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
No vehicle manufacturer can REQUIRE you perform the service at their service departments unless they provide the service for free. It is a small portion of the Magnuson-Moss act.

However, the manufacturer MAY ask you to prove that all scheduled maintenance was done with approved parts and oil that meets the specifications they set for the vehicle. If you've done the scheduled maintenance anywhere but the dealership that may be difficult. If you only did it at the dealership, you can put the blame back on them if anything was out of spec. :) In either case, they would have to prove the reason the part failed was the MAINTENANCE, not a defect or something else.

The biggest issue I have with ESP is that you are paying for it while you are still under your factory 3/36, and they count the start date from the in-service date of the vehicle. So, you bought a 7 year warranty, but you only get to use 4 years of it. I would also watch out for the deductibles. $100 every time you need something done adds up fast!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the info everyone. I am sure I will be happy I have the ESP in year 5 or so when that unexpected issue pops up. Or I can keep telling myself that so I don't feel like I went against my instincts for no good reason. Whatever helps me get to sleep at night right?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.