Veloster Turbo Confirmed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,454, Level 36
Points: 3,454, Level: 36 Points: 3,454, Level: 36 Points: 3,454, Level: 36
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Veloster Turbo Confirmed

Quote:
This isn't really shocking news – we've known that Hyundai has been working on a turbocharged version of its new Veloster for quite some time – but it's nice to have official confirmation directly from CEO John Krafcik on the company's Twitter account and via a live announcement at SEMA. The highly anticipated 2013 Veloster Turbo will debut at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show in January, reportedly alongside a refreshed Genesis Coupe.

The Veloster Turbo will – surprise, surprise – be powered by Hyundai's new 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder engine that was recently announced in Korea. That engine's previously announced spec is 204 horsepower – 66 more horsepower than the standard Veloster's naturally aspirated inline four. Assuming the model gets some other upgrades along with it, the turbocharged hatchback should be a pretty enthusiastic steer.

As for the updated Genesis Coupe, Car and Driver says that Krafcik has confirmed the base 2.0-liter turbo-four and naturally aspirated 3.8-liter V6 will get power increases (the V6 will likely get the same 333-hp treatment that the 2012 Genesis sedan received), and from the spy shots we've seen, we can expect the coupe's styling to be more akin to that of the smaller Veloster. We'll have the full details come January.

204 horsepower, too. Nearly 70 more than the regular 1.6. This thing should be quick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile Yup, coming to Detriot 2012, along with the updated Genesis coupe...looking forward to that too, specifically what kind of power the base 2.0l turbo is chucking out. I know itll be down on power, but Im still interested in seeing how Veloster does against the focus ST. I dont expect it to be as quick or beat the ST, since its down on power, but it is much lighter. A comparo will be needed to comparing the new hot hatches, ST, GTI, Beetle Turbo, Mazdaspeed 3 and Veloster Turbo.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

Points 873, Level 15
Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
I am excited to check out the turbo Veloster too.

But also for a secondary reason, I am hoping it will light a fire under Ford's butt about the 3-door "Fiesta ST" mule that was caught in Dearborn last year.

Basically I think Ford can fill the hot hatch line easily, There is no 3 door focus hatch, and to make one requires development. But there is a 3 door fiesta in Europe, already being made. so I feel a 3 door Fiesta ST in the US could satisfy the 3 door hotch hatch crowd, while the 5 door hot hatch crowd has the Focus ST.

I see a potential model line-up as follows:

Fiesta ST: 3 door, 1.6L Ecoboost, right around 200ish hp, 160-180 ftlbs (~$20-22k base MSRP)
Focus ST: 5 door, 2.0L Ecoboost, (~$26-27k base MSRP)
Focus RS: 5 door, 2.0L Ecoboost, near or slightly over 300 hp, with revoknuckle suspension and some minor front and rear bumper/side sill body tweeks (~$29-31k base MSRP)

That would be a perfect line up. I have debated ad nausea in other threads abotu the ST & RS, suffice to say, same engine, same platform, minor boost and tuning changes and addition of revo knuckle, should get it to be a pricey Focus, but slott it in just below the STI since it won't have AWD.

And honestly I think a lot of people who want a 3 door Focus ST, could probably get behind a 3 door Fiesta ST? Lighter weight, still more power and torque then our old US market SVTF. And it's very feasible since the engine is done, and Ford already has a 3 door Fiesta hatch in other markets, so no new bodywork is needed. Should be fairly cost effective to market with minimal R&D as compared to say making a 3 doors hatch Focus ST where there currently is none.

So I like that the turbo Veloster is basically supporting the market/business case for the predicted lineup I just listed
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
i am loving hyundai today. i also wouldnt mind if kia put this 1.6T in the 2012 Rio 5-Door either!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82805
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 06 Focus ST Good Standing Member
I test drove a veloster last weekend because my mom (of all people) is interested in them. It drove and handled great and was really really really quiet . However, with the automatic you have to really work the paddle shifters and your right foot to get going at a good pace. With extra power I think it will be a great driver!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apagios View Post
I am excited to check out the turbo Veloster too.

But also for a secondary reason, I am hoping it will light a fire under Ford's butt about the 3-door "Fiesta ST" mule that was caught in Dearborn last year.

Basically I think Ford can fill the hot hatch line easily, There is no 3 door focus hatch, and to make one requires development. But there is a 3 door fiesta in Europe, already being made. so I feel a 3 door Fiesta ST in the US could satisfy the 3 door hotch hatch crowd, while the 5 door hot hatch crowd has the Focus ST.

I see a potential model line-up as follows:

Fiesta ST: 3 door, 1.6L Ecoboost, right around 200ish hp, 160-180 ftlbs (~$20-22k base MSRP)
Focus ST: 5 door, 2.0L Ecoboost, (~$26-27k base MSRP)
Focus RS: 5 door, 2.0L Ecoboost, near or slightly over 300 hp, with revoknuckle suspension and some minor front and rear bumper/side sill body tweeks (~$29-31k base MSRP)

That would be a perfect line up. I have debated ad nausea in other threads abotu the ST & RS, suffice to say, same engine, same platform, minor boost and tuning changes and addition of revo knuckle, should get it to be a pricey Focus, but slott it in just below the STI since it won't have AWD.

And honestly I think a lot of people who want a 3 door Focus ST, could probably get behind a 3 door Fiesta ST? Lighter weight, still more power and torque then our old US market SVTF. And it's very feasible since the engine is done, and Ford already has a 3 door Fiesta hatch in other markets, so no new bodywork is needed. Should be fairly cost effective to market with minimal R&D as compared to say making a 3 doors hatch Focus ST where there currently is none.

So I like that the turbo Veloster is basically supporting the market/business case for the predicted lineup I just listed

Posted via FF Mobile I like your style. Hoping the Fiesta is more around $20k though and focus about $25k. I wanna see how hyundais dct performs too.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 873, Level 15
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Haha so much for hopes about a 3 door Fiesta ST

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/03/f...-la-auto-show/

So my prediction lasted a couple days before being blown
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 11,053, Level 69
Points: 11,053, Level: 69 Points: 11,053, Level: 69 Points: 11,053, Level: 69
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
And you are surprised?

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 873, Level 15
Level Up 73% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
No, not at all.

I was simply hoping the 3-door Fiesta ST would happen because it is much more do-able then a 3 door Focus ST. All the bodywork, testing, DOT certifications, etc. are already in place for a 3 door Fiesta. (ok probably not US DOT certs, but certainly Euro regs)

Anyway, I am not really interested in the Fiesta ST has a 5 door. I like the Fiesta, but I think if I am getting a 5 door hatch it'll be the Focus ST. I may be in the minority, but I think the Focus ST looks best as a 5 door. I think it's a little "big" or "long" to pull off the 3 door well? Conversely I think the Fiesta is a little short to pull off the 5 door hatchback.

If a 3 door Fiesta ST ever came, I wanted to buy it, remove the back seats and put in black carpet and just have a fast lightweight little 3 door hatch with lots of cargo room. I figure with the 3 door the back seats are even more useless, why even have them?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85667
What I Drive: 2008 silver g35x

Points 1,070, Level 17
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FocusSTHopeful Good Standing Member
I dont see the problem with a 4 door fiesta. I think it looks much better and more balanced than 3 doors. Plus, 4 door is so much more practical. Whatever. I think the veloster is just too ugly, props to you if you like it. Im reallylooking forward to the fiesta. the focus ST is just too much (price, and features) for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.