Ford Working on New Small V6, We’re Guessing It’ll Be Turbocharged - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
Points 45,208, Level 100
Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Working on New Small V6, We’re Guessing It’ll Be Turbocharged

The same UAW release confirming that the Ford Transit van will be assembled and sold in the U.S. also contains a line about a small-displacement V-6. In reference to Ford’s Lima, Ohio, engine plant, the UAW says that “a new industry-leading small V-6 will be added to the plant at an investment of $400M.”

A Ford spokesman wouldn’t confirm the planned engine, only agreeing that such an engine would make sense with the company’s current downsizing scheme and acknowledging that Ford is always working on new powertrains. Our hunch is that the engine would, at least in one variation, get the EcoBoost turbocharger treatment, and it’s pretty much a given that any modern, clean-sheet engine will use direct injection. We take “small” to mean a V-6 in the range of 2.5 to 3.0 liters of displacement, with possible output in the area of 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque—that would position it nicely between Ford’s EcoBoost 2.0-liter four (247 hp/266 lb-ft in the Focus ST) and its 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 (up to 365 hp and 420 lb-ft in the EcoBoost F-150). Given this hypothetical output, we see it augmenting or replacing the larger, non-turbo 3.5- and 3.7-liter engines.

Current applications of the 3.5 and 3.7 include the Ford Fusion, Mustang, Taurus, Edge, Explorer, and F-150; and the Lincoln MKZ, MKS, MKX, and MKT. The engine does make a lot of sense for a re-focused Lincoln, which is trying to showcase technology and its premium feel. And while we don’t expect a second coming of the turbocharged SVO Mustang, albeit with an extra pair of cylinders, a small turbo six could fit well into a range-topping Fusion, possibly in the all-wheel-drive Sport model, or even a Fusion ST.

We do know that the engine has no chance in the next Escape, which will make do with four-cylinder engines only. So there’s that.

Text Source: Car & Driver

Last edited by warneej; 10-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Not happy to hear about the escape. Hopefully theyll put a high output four in it as an option. I want to see the escape still have its "off road" capabilities. Please dont make it another crossover to go to the supermarket in Ford. Throw in the terrain selection, make it look manly, make it off road capable, even better then the Explorer. Make it competative with things like the subaru forester, outback, and smaller Jeeps. It doesnt have to be wrangler capable, but hell shoot for that. If ford could make a great looking, capable, fuel efficient suv, combined with their new tech and quality, theyd have a winner, especially if you could actually escape in your Escape.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90446
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Style

FF Reputation: 1 Xtermin8R645 Good Standing Member
They're putting in a 2.5L Ecoboost with around 270 HP, I believe. That's faster than the current V6 sitting in a Mercury Mariner, at 240 HP (my parents own one). I'd say that it's a much better powertrain, HP is higher, torque is higher, MPG is higher, and weight is supposed to be lower.

I think off-roaders won't complain one bit.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Not so green zx3

Fan#: 69341
What I Drive: 2010 Mazda3 GT, 1990 Nissan 240sx

Points 10,378, Level 67
Points: 10,378, Level: 67 Points: 10,378, Level: 67 Points: 10,378, Level: 67
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 2002greenzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
sounds awesome to me. i think a fusion ST would be awesome. i love the look of the fusion

DD: 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring, 6 speed
Project/beater: 1990 Nissan 240sx, 5 speed
Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,369, Level 99
Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99 Points: 28,369, Level: 99
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Land Rover is already doing just that using a Ford turbo 4 cyl. Without looking, I believe it was the LR2. It's much more expensive than the Escape, so not really a competitor, but if they can do it, so can Ford.

I like the idea of another engine, but I wish they would make all the bell housing bolt patterns the same so we could swap stuff around. That's something I was hoping Mually would do.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2012 1.6L 125hp Titanium wagon

Points 17,108, Level 83
Points: 17,108, Level: 83 Points: 17,108, Level: 83 Points: 17,108, Level: 83
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtermin8R645 View Post
They're putting in a 2.5L Ecoboost with around 270 HP, I believe. That's faster than the current V6 sitting in a Mercury Mariner, at 240 HP (my parents own one). I'd say that it's a much better powertrain, HP is higher, torque is higher, MPG is higher, and weight is supposed to be lower.

The new V6 is the Nano 2.7L EcoBoost.

The announced engines in the new Escape are the 2.5L which is currently in the Escape but will be Ti-VCT, the 1.6L EcoBoost around 180hp, and the 2.0L EcoBoost
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtermin8R645 View Post

But but but but Ford's V6 Mustang makes 305 hp. I mean not that 270 hp is slow or anything, but I suppose if it makes 40 mpg it'll be a step up from the current 3.7L V6 engine...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
I heard the new Escape is going to be a rebadged Kuga.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2012 1.6L 125hp Titanium wagon

Points 17,108, Level 83
Points: 17,108, Level: 83 Points: 17,108, Level: 83 Points: 17,108, Level: 83
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscrx View Post
I heard the new Escape is going to be a rebadged Kuga.

Posted via FF Mobile
Both Kuga and Escape merge to be one design, based on the concept Vertrek.
Probably look quite alot like this

Re the new 2.7L V6, will most likely be a Lincoln exclusive powertrain the first few years.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90446
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Style

FF Reputation: 1 Xtermin8R645 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
But but but but Ford's V6 Mustang makes 305 hp. I mean not that 270 hp is slow or anything, but I suppose if it makes 40 mpg it'll be a step up from the current 3.7L V6 engine...

Ford is going EcoBoost on dem hoes from now on. They are spending millions on turbo technologies and ways to make 4 cylinders fast. Better say goodbye to V6's in the next couple years. I, for one am not complaining. It can only be good to save gas and have solid power in a low-displacement engine, right?

I heard recently something like "I4's are the new V6's. V6's are the new V8's." It's good to know it's becoming more true every year.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.