SVT Buyer needs help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81057
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 phibbs87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT Buyer needs help

Hey guys I'm debating which of these 2 SVTs I should by and I'd like some advice.
The first is a 03 red SVT ZX5 with 78k miles on it and a salvage title. It also is going to need it's complete clutch and slave cylinder replaced which I found all the parts newish on here for $300 OBO. this guy wants $2900 and he lives 1.5 hours away.

The second is a 02 sonic blue SVT ZX3 with 110k miles and a clean title. The guy said a few weeks ago it started heating up so he replaced thermostat, sensors, etc but still does it. What could be Causing the heating issue?
Here is the link for car 2:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...640042371.html

I'd prefer a sonic blue SVT however I'd really like the four doors but I really want a clean title.

Project MK2 ST has commenced! (SVT + MK3 ST= GOAL)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51995
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 alexdc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phibbs87 View Post
Hey guys I'm debating which of these 2 SVTs I should by and I'd like some advice.
The first is a 03 red SVT ZX5 with 78k miles on it and a salvage title. It also is going to need it's complete clutch and slave cylinder replaced which I found all the parts newish on here for $300 OBO. this guy wants $2900 and he lives 1.5 hours away.

The second is a 02 sonic blue SVT ZX3 with 110k miles and a clean title. The guy said a few weeks ago it started heating up so he replaced thermostat, sensors, etc but still does it. What could be Causing the heating issue?

I'd prefer a sonic blue SVT however I'd really like the four doors but I really want a clean title.
the thermostat housing usually leaks after a couple years on the svt. change the housing and the gasket. if it has coolant in its not supposed to overheat.
i had a 5 door svt with a salvage title... maybe you could just wait to get a clean one for the right price..

better resale value and peace of mind!
and if it needs a clutch kit ask for a lower price. i sold mine for 2200 CAN$ with new clutch (southbend clutch stage3 and new cfm motor mount.. ps: and dont ever spend that much on a clutch kit).. mine needed some suspension parts, an alignement at the front and two wheels but it was an easy fix.

if you want performance over practicality i would opt for the 3 door.. it looks sportier, smaller and its probably a bit lighter.

Last edited by alexdc; 10-09-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89527
What I Drive: 2003 silver svt

FF Reputation: 1 Mmalloian Good Standing Member
Svt buyer needs help

The 2 door has plenty of room in the back seat. Sonic blue is the nicest color. I looked for one for over 2 years but settled on silver. Mine is a salvage. I paid $3500 only because it has the recaro full leather seats but it is plagued with problems. T/O bearing noise, thermostat leaking, battery harness is bad, radio won't eject the CDs, antenna was broken, wiper delay mode does not work, surging and hesitation on take off, ratlles over bumps, airbag light is on, right window goes up slowly and the paint was not perfect. I really wanted a 2004 Sonic blue with the sun roof. Sounds like a piece of crap, no?

I have spent $1500 on brakes, tires, tune up, thermostat housing and sct tuner. I did a partial paint job on the hood and bumpers. Fixed many little things. I think about the car more that I worry about my 13 year old kid. But all in all, the car is fun to drive. I wish I had bought one in 2004 new rather that paying $31k for a new F150.

My advice is to wait and find the one that you really want. Pay a little more for one that is mechanically sound. At least you will enjoy the weekends driving it rather than working on it.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

I talked to the sonic blue's seller and he is going to take $2200 so I think that's pretty good seeing as the other one was going to be about $1000 more. How much does the housing n gasket run and how hard is it to DIY?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26015
What I Drive: 2005 OBP WRX Waghon

Points 2,734, Level 31
Points: 2,734, Level: 31 Points: 2,734, Level: 31 Points: 2,734, Level: 31
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 gold_zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That link was flagged for removal...kinda sketch. But anyway here is my 2 cents, definitely find out why the car was salvaged (flood, front end, rear end, side, etc.) and see if there has been any frame damage if it was in a collision. If there wasn't any, than chances are that it is a reliable vehicle if everything has been repaired by a reputible mechanic. Even if there was some minor frame damage, it can certainly be repaired correctly. Is there zero risk when purchasing a salvaged car? Absolutely not. Just do as much research as you can. My last two vehicles I have owned were salvage (SVT included) and I had no major problems, but I did my research and inspected them heavily with my father (who is very mechanically inclined).

Good luck man, you will definitely love the SVT when you do find one.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah I'm not going with the salvaged SVTF, I've decided to go with the clean title SVTF that needs the thermostat housing and gasket replaced. Btw the link was flagged for removal because the seller took down the ad because I'm buying it. Pickup was supposed o be today but the kid worked til 4am and had school at 10am so since I work this week we have pushed it off until Saturday. Lol the kid knocked $100 off sale price since he wasn't able to get it to me this morning and I gotta wait til Saturday.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51995
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 alexdc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yeah I'm not going with the salvaged SVTF, I've decided to go with the clean title SVTF that needs the thermostat housing and gasket replaced. Btw the link was flagged for removal because the seller took down the ad because I'm buying it. Pickup was supposed o be today but the kid worked til 4am and had school at 10am so since I work this week we have pushed it off until Saturday. Lol the kid knocked $100 off sale price since he wasn't able to get it to me this morning and I gotta wait til Saturday.
i changed my thermostat housing myself. its not complicated. i think there's a how to with pics in the how to section in the svt performance chat. I've put a contour thermostat housing on mine (the base engine on contour was a zetec). never had a leak since.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 57080
What I Drive: 09 f-150 5.4

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 33 Master-Baits Great Standing Member
Quote:

If the first one wasn't a salvage title I'd be WAY more comfortable with a car needing a clutch rather than one that has been for sure hot. Tough choice, both seem priced sensibly.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

Points 166,991, Level 100
Points: 166,991, Level: 100 Points: 166,991, Level: 100 Points: 166,991, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Why not just buy one of the SVT's for sale on here, that have NO issues?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Because none of them are close to
me nor are there any that have what I want. Plus I'm getting mine for $2000 even. Can't beat that lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.