GM's Quality? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,455, Level 36
Points: 3,455, Level: 36 Points: 3,455, Level: 36 Points: 3,455, Level: 36
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
GM's Quality?

Amidst all the "Chevy Runs Deep" ads we've been seeing, has GM's quality really improved? With that said, has the public's opinion of the company improved since the bailout? I'm curious to know what the Ford community thinks, I'm actually doing research on it.

You can just use your forum handles if you'd like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

Points 3,709, Level 38
Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you think of SAAB as GM? I mean it technically was but still very different then a Chevy. GM is to general, IMO. In college i studied GM. I was in there through the rough patch. Really not much has changed at all. They want you to think it has but really, NO.

My GM was a 1999 9-3. Not the greatest vehicle ever produced. It was slow, some what complicated, handling not so good, slow, did i mention it was slow? New 9-3 handles good, is decently quick, and nice build quality. So yes, quality between the 90's SAAB's and the 2010 SAAB's has drastically improved. The New 9-5 is in a entire new class of cars. 9-5 was designed in the GM days and is based off a GM platform.

About the survey, you could include many more questions to better understand the responses. Like what brand? want model? specific complaints? more history on ownership, more about their involvement with the brand. I don't really know, but i can tell there is not enough there the produce relevant and accurate results.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Quarter Tank Racer

Points 3,455, Level 36
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex62390 View Post
Do you think of SAAB as GM? I mean it technically was but still very different then a Chevy. GM is to general, IMO. In college i studied GM. I was in there through the rough patch. Really not much has changed at all. They want you to think it has but really, NO.

My GM was a 1999 9-3. Not the greatest vehicle ever produced. It was slow, some what complicated, handling not so good, slow, did i mention it was slow? New 9-3 handles good, is decently quick, and nice build quality. So yes, quality between the 90's SAAB's and the 2010 SAAB's has drastically improved. The New 9-5 is in a entire new class of cars. 9-5 was designed in the GM days and is based off a GM platform.

About the survey, you could include many more questions to better understand the responses. Like what brand? want model? specific complaints? more history on ownership, more about their involvement with the brand. I don't really know, but i can tell there is not enough there the produce relevant and accurate results.
Yeah, right now I just kept it simple, but I'll add more on my break later today.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
What do you expect them to advertise the truth, "Chevy.. only marginally better post bailout" I wouldn't buy one for at least 5 years. My inlaws recently got a new Equinox though, curious how it holds up over the next few years.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Just speaking from personal experience, I think GM has gotten better at quality.

In the past, I had not been loyal to one specific make. Had a few so-so experiences with GM stuff - a '95 Blazer for one. Nothing really went wrong with it - it just wasn't that great a vehicle. Replaced it with a '03 Explorer that we've been really happy with. Comfortable, real reliable.

Had my '03 Focus wagon totalled last November. I still wanted a station wagon (not a SUV) and also wanted something that was as nice inside as the Focus (leather, moonroof).I was also buying 'used'. There just arn't a lot of Focus wagons around like that. Got a Chevy HHR for a rental and really liked it, so that's what I ended up buying. It's really put together well, handles fantastic (FE3 sport suspension) and gets great gas mileage (averaging around 28mpg). No squeaks or rattles. Very nice features for the price. I love it....
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Quarter Tank Racer

Points 3,455, Level 36
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Thanks guys, I've edited the survey heavily and allowed you a few more open responses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...9qNUE6MQ#gid=0

I'd love to hear what you all have to say.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:

Posted via FF Mobile I agree, caddy and buick are GM too, and their quality is pretty damn good. If GM puts time and money into their stuff they can make good cars. The CTS is a bother to the competition, and the new buicks are actually very very nice. Sit in one lately? As for chevy, its ok. They did get better compared to their old offerings. The malibu is still better then most of the other cars in chevys lineup, and its like five years old. The new one coming out is beautiful. Chevys current offerings arent as good as fords, but not much of the competition is. I still feel they need to get rid of gmc, or at least make it mostly a commercial brand. Throw all the personal trucks and suvs into chevy...which they already are anyway, butthis will give them the option to expand their trims and make them more "lux."
Old 10-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84236
What I Drive: 02 SVTf, 98 Jeep ZJ

FF Reputation: 1 ajmorell Good Standing Member
I resubmitted a new survey. As far as I'm concerned GM has done nothing but improved since the bailout. As far as quality and longevity is concerned Chrysler is the one who falls short in my opinion. Certain vehicles are still subpar, for instance the Cobalt doesn't compare to the Focus even though they are competitors, and many of the vehicles actually branded with a Chevy logo are nothing special to look at but they are typically very reliable and economical cars. I'm not particularly biased towards one automaker vs. another but I think that one place Chevy/GM excels is in the truck department. They provide strong competition to Ford and between the two, they basically hold the market. Where GM really provides some excellent cars is in their luxury brands, specifically Cadillac & Buick. If you've ever ridden in or driven a CTS you know it's a hell of a lot of car for the money and it really has no domestic competition.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 38,705, Level 100
Points: 38,705, Level: 100 Points: 38,705, Level: 100 Points: 38,705, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:

SAAB is no longer owned by GM. It's been owned by the swedish company, Spyker Cars N.V since 2010. I myself have never owned a SAAB but I've always like the looks of em. AS for GM products I don't feel they have ever had the best quality or reliability. When you sit in most other companies car you can usually feel and see the build quality. On a GM car every thing just looks and feels cheap. From what I've seen they have up the ante. But I doubt by much. I just can't sit in a GM product with out feeling like I'm sitting in a 1990's Sunbird or cavalier. The only thing I feel GM excels in is safety but that's it.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Dat boxer rumble

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,945, Level 59
Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
im going to go with no. The fit and finish of their cars has indeed improved, but the parts that they are installing are still crap. They had a 2012 corvette at a dealership right next to a home depot down the street, and on my walk back to the car i checked it out. The body panels are still the same old cheap flimsy plastic that they have been using for the past decade, and honestly ive seen better rattle-can paint jobs.

GM can make some brutally powerful engines and they definitely know how to put the power to the ground, but it just seems like everything else just doesnt cut it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.