Is this dangerous?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 679
What I Drive: ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Iceberg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is this dangerous??

Is power braking or spinning your wheels or whatever you want to call it bad for your car,engine,wheels etc..??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
of course, putting serious load on the motor...and if your power braking with an auto...that burns/oxidized the shit outta the fluid. after a minute or so your fluid was knocked down to nothing and could result in tranny failure.
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Is power braking holding the e-brake and pressing the accelerator at the same time?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by Infra3sv
Is power braking holding the e-brake and pressing the accelerator at the same time?
nah, just one foot on the brake, one on the gas.
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 11-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Why would someone do this?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 679
What I Drive: ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Iceberg Good Standing Member
i would never do it on my focus but i do it on my beater car and was just wondering!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,140, Level 67
Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67 Points: 10,140, Level: 67
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by Infra3sv
Why would someone do this?
Its done on automagic transmissions. Powerbraking allows the driver to bring the revs up before the torque-converter stalls, allowing for a little better of a launch.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:50 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1346
What I Drive: 02 SE w/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 robbob Good Standing Member
Are you for real? You can't be serious. Of course it's an EXELLENT idea! It promotes engine, tire and transmissoin longevity.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 994
What I Drive: Black 2001 4-Dr ZTS... Oh the heck with it... As long as it's a Focus!! :)

FF Reputation: 1 Focus~Racer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Infra3sv Is power braking holding the e-brake and pressing the accelerator at the same time?
Just a quick post about doing this.....

While Power Braking an automatic as everyone is talking about it here refers to holding the brake and the gas to get a good launch...

LET ME JUST SAY....

For those of you who are new to racing, or just simply showing off in an (EMPTY!!) Parking lot.... My advice is make sure you know what your about to do.... If you hold the brake and the gas on a RWD vehicle chances are you won't do the horrific damage that you would on a FWD car... I have a 66 Plymouth belvedere with a 318 Poly, trust me holding the brake and mashing the gas can produce a hellacious Burnout, and one bitchen Smoke Show..

Doing this on my FWD 2001 Focus can also cause a smoke show, JUST NOT THE KIND YOU WANT!!

why??

Most newer FWD cars use 65%-85% braking power at the front wheels. Since all the weight is in the front; the front brakes do the most work. (This really doesn't apply to standards since all you do there is take the car up to 3500-4800 and pop the clutch... But I will get to that.. ) Translation = All the STOPPING power is on the DRIVING wheels... So if the wheels are locked nice and tight and your brakes are in good shape, THERE NOT GOING TO SPIN!! However, the transmission is going to apply a large amount of torque, to the drive-shafts... But since the wheels aren't moving and the transmission is... Something is going to have to give... The problem is all to often the axle loses the battle. I have even seen on RARE occasions damage to the brake system when you have ABS or permanent TransAxle Damage... The whole shebang needed to be replaced. If you want to do this kind of stuff and you have an automatic.. Get a Trans-Brake. There is a company coming out with one soon.. Granted you need more then just a simple Trans-Brake but that is a Key component.

Now I know that some might be saying well wait, you put the whole E-Brake quote up top, what was the point if you are talking about power-braking???

*****WARNING*****

The surgeon general has reported that holding the E-Brake and punching the Gas is the leading cause of Power-Train Failure in automatic AND Manual FWD cars. That are for the most part mild-setups..

Seriously though, as tempting as it is to do this, and as much as people may try and tell you that this won't do anything.. THEY ARE WRONG!!
First off your again submitting you car to harsh loads that a normal car was never meant to handle. If someone spends the $$$ and builds up the Trans-Axle, brakes, suspension and engine to handle this then sit back with the camera or Cam-Corder and enjoy the show... But If you just tossed an Intake, exhaust and a sport chip in your car... It doesn't mean you can rush out to the mall parking lot and bake some rubber with a crowd of people. And for those of you who are right now saying, "yeah okay, I have a 5/6 Speed and I lock the E-Brake, Rev-Up, dump the clutch and do a nasty smoke show, and my car is fine.." Good for you, you may get away with it a few times. Cars aren't meant to handle it, it doesn't mean that one time and there toast.. All I am saying is that there is a great deal of damage being done to your car. And if you have an automatic and try doing this then your really in for a surprise. (by the way, if in any of this, your putting your car in N and revving up, then Slamming it into D then stop reading this now cause you have no chance of saving anything in your car...

Anyway, that's all I have to say... Sorry this is diesel long but you know what, If one person learned something from this it is worth it... And remember, this .. .

You may think that nothing is wrong, but Just cause you can't see the damage or even feel it right now....

That doesn't prove the damage hasn't been done........

98% of All Fords are Still On the Road Today!!!
The other 2% actually made it home!!

Last edited by Focus~Racer; 11-05-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:31 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Crap.. That takes away all my fun.. I only rev up to around 2000-2500 when I do it is that still to much? I only do it in water since thats the only time they will spin (I think) If I only rev around 2k and in water is it still going to do pretty bad damage?
Thanks for the heads-up I didnt think it would really to much.. didnt think the engine had enough power to really ruin the driveline.

-Shawn

Edit: Next time I'll buy a manual, I just didnt want a manual for my first and only car (would be a hassle having to shift ALL the time IMO).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.