Sometimes the Best Laid Out Plans Can Go Awry or Murphy's Law - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sometimes the Best Laid Out Plans Can Go Awry or Murphy's Law

This past Friday I was planning to drive to Kentucky for FocusFest11. Unfortunately I wound up spending Friday night and Saturday morning in the hospital instead. It seems that while I was sleeping at home I was shaking violently in bed and my wife thought I had a SEIZURE(according to her my eyes were also shifting back and forth while they were closed as well)!!! She shook me to try to wake me up and I guess I started snoring as usual and then she left to run an errand. She described the symptoms to her sister(who's an M.D. at Boston Medical Center)and her sister told her to come back home to wake me up(which she promptly did). I was wondering why my wife was trying to wake me up(as I had no recollection of any seizure,it just felt like I was exhausted,I had worked 18 hours the day before and had just gone to bed 1 hour before. I had planned to sleep 8 hours Friday morning and afternoon so I would be ready to drive to Kentucky Friday night(so much for that plan). The hospital released me Saturday afternoon after overnight observation and doing an MRI scan. However I do have to get a sleep study and an EKG done so until then I can't drive. It kinda sucks because it affects both of my jobs(my 1st job requires me to be at work at 4 A.M. in the morning and my second job consists of me driving-there's no public transportation operating at that time here in Fitchburg). The good news is that based on the MRI scans the neurologist who observed me says that it may not have been a seizure but just sleep deprivation and sleep apnea(which is a good thing since MA state law says that motorist who who have had seizures can't drive for 6 months). I'll keep you guys posted later this week as to what the doctors and neurologist says.

2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

Points 2,117, Level 27
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
Wow, I hope everything goes OK for you. It's important you take care of yourself first. I think maybe your sister in law was thinking you might have had a physical brain injury.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red ST170

Points 1,919, Level 26
Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Cheeze, man, that sucks. I suffer from borderline sleep apnea, and it is not fun. Your condition sounds like exhaustion and sleep deprivation to me. I know after 24+ hours with out sleep, I start to hallucinate and exhibit the same symptoms you have described. Good luck, hope the docs can help you. You are fortunate to be close to some of the best medical care in the world.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88821
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 JelisaMack Good Standing Member
Whoa, that's crazy! Definitely keep us posted on the doctor's reports. Hoping everything's okay and that you'll be on the road very soon!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 148,795, Level 100
Points: 148,795, Level: 100 Points: 148,795, Level: 100 Points: 148,795, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 63%
Activity: 63% Activity: 63% Activity: 63%
FF Reputation: 51 sleepyboy Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I do sleep studies for a living. Very well could be sleep apnea, I have seen a patient have that kind of reaction before. What is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking, also your neck size? Typically anyone with a neck size 17" or bigger almost always has sleep apnea.

Sleep Apnea for those who don't know is a when a person stops breathing during sleep. There are 4 stages of sleep, the deeper in the stages we get the more relaxed our muscles get. Also in order for us to feel well rested, and not tired we must go through all 4 stages of sleep. The main factor is the muscles around our air way. When the air way gets small enough it cause the skin to flap or vibrate against itself causing the wonderful snoring we here. Now when the airway gets small enough it can cause a restriction or collapse all the way causing the person to stop breathing. It's just like someone chocking you, but it's your body doing. Now our body's want to fight to live so it sends out signals saying wake up your not breathing. So we arouse from sleep just enough or long enough for our muscles to tense up and open the air way we take a few breaths and the person falls right back asleep. Most people may remember waking up a few times in the maybe once or twice to use the restroom some not at all. In reality they are waking up way more than a few times. It's this interruption in sleep that causes the person to be so tired.

If ya'll have any questions feel free to ask.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

/\ very interesting, thanks doc ;)
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
FF's Night Security

Points: 148,795, Level: 100 Points: 148,795, Level: 100 Points: 148,795, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 63%
Whoa I'm no Dr. or even a nurse, all I deal with is sleep. I'm a RPSGT if anyone is really interested. Basically a board registered sleep tech.

I also suffer from sleep apnea, restless legs, periodic limb movements, and probably shift work syndrome (self cause sleep disorder for shirt workers). I also use CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) to treat my sleep apnea with great results.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Now that you mention it I have restless legs in the night, really bad actually. Is there anything I can do to help with it?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
FF's Night Security

Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 63%
I heard tonic water can help(never tried it myself), but mainly Dr's prescribe meds for them if it's bad enough.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

Points 2,117, Level 27
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
I do sleep studies for a living. Very well could be sleep apnea, I have seen a patient have that kind of reaction before. What is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking, also your neck size? Typically anyone with a neck size 17" or bigger almost always has sleep apnea.

Sleep Apnea for those who don't know is a when a person stops breathing during sleep. There are 4 stages of sleep, the deeper in the stages we get the more relaxed our muscles get. Also in order for us to feel well rested, and not tired we must go through all 4 stages of sleep. The main factor is the muscles around our air way. When the air way gets small enough it cause the skin to flap or vibrate against itself causing the wonderful snoring we here. Now when the airway gets small enough it can cause a restriction or collapse all the way causing the person to stop breathing. It's just like someone chocking you, but it's your body doing. Now our body's want to fight to live so it sends out signals saying wake up your not breathing. So we arouse from sleep just enough or long enough for our muscles to tense up and open the air way we take a few breaths and the person falls right back asleep. Most people may remember waking up a few times in the maybe once or twice to use the restroom some not at all. In reality they are waking up way more than a few times. It's this interruption in sleep that causes the person to be so tired.

If ya'll have any questions feel free to ask.
Good grief, scary stuff.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.