Dealership Protection Packages? Good/Bad? (If you're from Calgary, AB make sure to read) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88821
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 JelisaMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dealership Protection Packages? Good/Bad? (If you're from Calgary, AB make sure to read)

So, I purchased a 2010 Ford Focus SES (fully loaded, leather interior, etc) from a dealership on Friday. It was suggested to me that I get that "Platinum Shield Protection" pack added to the car. It comes with interior, rust, paint and undercoat protection. They are asking 1500$ to do all of this.

When I was looking at some local body shops they were offering these services for about $800, give or take.

The only major difference from the price is that the dealership guarentees the work for life and body shops guarantee for 7 years.

In your opinion - should I go with the dealership or the local shops on this one? Does anyone live in Calgary, AB, Canada? If so, could you suggest some good shops to hit up for this kind of work?

Also, in Calgary I've been told that a huge minus is all the flying rocks on the highways and that your hood can really take a beating from it. Should I invest in 3M protection as well? I've heard that the 3M tends to turn yellow after a year or two, is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance for your help with this guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15001
What I Drive: 2006 ST Focus

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gerryyy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You know Rusty Jones used to be a big deal too. And look what happened to him. Skip the ultra package. If you have the extra money purchase a FORD ESP plan. I'm not sure what the $Can price is but a 100K/6 year bears some looking in to. Good luck with the new ride and we'll see you on Electric Avenue!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
A waste of money. The guarantees on these packages only funds the purchase price and they have plenty of clauses in the fine print that won't cover.

You can do wax and interior protection yourself and it will cost you a 1/10 of the cost
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Gerry, it's a 2010 and still has two years on the bumper to bumper and four years on the power train. A couple years back I bought an '04 Mazda 3 from Ford and purchased the extended warranty - about 6-8 weeks later both my back wheel wells rusted out (due to a really shotty touch up job before I saw the car) and that warranty didn't do anything about it. I paid nearly an extra $3k for it! This time I skipped the warranty just because I got screwed on it last time. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Dgc - I had a feeling there was a lot of fine print. For example they would cover the discolouration of the leather inside but not any spills, tears, or rips. And they cover rust from the INSIDE out but not the OUTSIDE in. I could probably just get it undercoated and then just Crown to rust proof it every year - all for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for your help guys, any more opinions?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88098
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Armen Good Standing Member
How long do you normally keep a car for?

It is my opinion that stuff like this has become the real bread and butter for them. Paint protection, interior protection, under body protection, anti-theft panel etching, etc...

It is also my opinion that most of this stuff is a complete waste of money - and considerable money when you think of what they charge you for it. I can't even imagine what the mark up for these services must be.

Further, I don't like undercoat. It can hide rust that starts to form underneath the coating. I far prefer Krown Rust Control, which is a thick penetrating oil. It 'creeps' right into the corners of panels. You can always tell an older car that has been 'under oiled' because the bodies are always in decent shape.

http://www.krown.com/search.php?city=Calgary

---

I bought a cheap little Hyundai Accent for my uncle earlier this year. They tried to charge me $300 for this panel etching. I was like, "Who's going to try and steal/chop a Hyundai Accent!?!" I told them I don't want it. They told me it automatically came with the car. I replied that no, it doesn't. "Does Hyundai do this at the factory"?

"No, we have it done here. It protects us from lot theft."

So I said if that's the case, you pay for it. I'm not. This is a deal breaker.

Then the manager comes in. He says "Is the panel etching worth anything to you?"

Nope. It sure isn't, I said.

Needless to say I didn't pay for it. And this is after I had already made the deal for the price of the actual car. So I guess they weren't happy because they didn't get to make money where they thought they'd be able to.

When I bought my 2010 Camaro at a used dealer, they tried the same thing. Again, nope. I won't pay for this money grab.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

I'm planning on keeping this car for 6-8 years definitely.

Living in Calgary, most people tell me that undercoating is a must have because they put sand and gravel on the roads in the winter here. I agree after looking at what other shops are charging for these services the mark up is astonishing. They try to charge you for every little thing, as if they aren't making enough money of people as it is!

I really appreciate your input, thanks :)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88098
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Armen Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelisaMack View Post
I'm planning on keeping this car for 6-8 years definitely.

Living in Calgary, most people tell me that undercoating is a must have because they put sand and gravel on the roads in the winter here. I agree after looking at what other shops are charging for these services the mark up is astonishing. They try to charge you for every little thing, as if they aren't making enough money of people as it is!

I really appreciate your input, thanks :)
We have sand/salt on the roads here. Salt is the killer. It's very corrosive and is what will contribute to premature rust.

Undercoating is a black rubbery-tar type application that totally coats the under body of the car. It forms a harder layer and will protect. But it can also crack and water/salt gets up there and starts to rust - but can't be seen because the undercoat hides it.

Krown Rust Control once a year - it's a vegetable based oil that coats the underside and inside panels. It's way better than undercoating in my opinion and keeps a car looking very good throughout it's life. In Ontario, it's costs about $100 to have applied.

My old 1991 CRX was Krown under oiled every year by the woman who owned it all it's life before I bought it off her. It was winter driven every year and had almost 300,000kms on it. These CRX's are known for rusting out. Not this one tho, lol...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
FWIW, our local police department will do the window etching for free.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

That's a beauty Armen! I've only ever heard good things about crown - $100 a year is really reasonable and it does wonders to preserve the resale value of the car for years down the road when I upgrade again.

I'm going to be calling the dealership first thing tomorrow to tell them to skip the protection plan. I just hope to God I'm not too late. I purchased the car late friday afternoon - as long as they didn't do it on Saturday (I believe their service shop was closed), and they're closed today - I should be good.

Cross your fingers for me, would ya?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86614
What I Drive: 2012 Blue TI when it gets here..

Points 38, Level 1
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ransil Good Standing Member
dealer applied rust proofing is a joke, they hire some kid at minimum wage to apply it , they apply it to some visible areas and not inside the hard to reach areas where its needed.

I had 2 01 fords done at the dealer, both are rusting out pretty bad where they missed. also they rust thru warranty requires a $20 maintenance reapply done every year , no washing just a squirt here & there and the warranty only covers outer body rust thru.

I'm going to use this stuff http://www.fluid-film.com/ and do it myself this time around, with the applicator should be able to do it for under $100

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.