First Time New Car Buyer Torn - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88175
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Tumdace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First Time New Car Buyer Torn

So I really am torn between the different trim levels.

Theres a few things I want, and a few things I really dont want and dont need.

I was looking at an SE Hatchback (I want the Hatchback for sure).

I am interested in a good sound system but the 10-speaker with sub apparantly only comes with the Titanium? Does it sound much worse than the 6-speaker I can upgrade to on the SE with the 202A package?

Im in Canada, so definately getting the Winter Package deal.

Also I keep reading that the rear disc brakes are highly suggested so I was thinking of going with the Sports Package (the Titanium comes with rear disc standard right?)

The thing is that it would be nice (although not really neccessary) to have the automatic driver seat controls although it sounds like that requires leather trim (I could be reading it wrong).

Ive priced it out on Fords website and it seems like the things I want, when I price them out on a SEL vs Titanium (the 10 speakers with sub is why I went up to the SEL) its like a $600 difference, which where I am starting to wonder what the other differences are (the ones Ford neglects to mention on the website).

I just wish the spec sheets they offer were a little more thorough in what comes with each trim level by default.

I guess the biggest questions would be: Is the SEL/Titanium's MFT and 10 speaker availability worth going up from an SE? Nav would be a nice thing to have but its not like I would need it all the time.

I guess I just don't want to skip out on something when there is a possibility I may use it down the line (who knows, I plan on owning my car for the long haul rather than trading it in, maybe I might need these things 5-10 years from now?).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
I've never been one to buy a 'low line' model to save on the bottom line. I usually end up buying used to get a 'loaded' car for the same or less than a new stripped down model. I figure I spend a lot of time in the cars I drive, so I want to be comfortable.

Of course these days, even the 'low line' models come pretty well-equipped.

You've just got to figure out what you want.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86138
What I Drive: 2003 Mazda 6

FF Reputation: 1 MikeR55 Good Standing Member
Same here- it's really confusing to try to figure out the differences between the models. And almost impossible to find a dealer that has all 3 trims in stock

From what I've seen there are many differences between all of them not mentioned or really pointed out on ford.com

I just compared the SEL to the TIT. The things mentioned that are different is TIT has 18" wheels SEL has 16" which some say means a smoother ride on the SEL. Is there a noticeable difference? Don't know.

The seats in the TIT are also different- they are sports seats- which means they are narrower than the SEL regular seats. The SEL seats also don't look as good as they have sort of a checkered pattern on them. I was surprised how much I didn't like them. SEL trim in car has a slight goldish tone to it as compared to silver in the TIT.

The interior roof of the TIT seems to be a darker white almost grey as opposed to the more white of the SEL (This was on the charcoal trim)

Anyone notice any other differences? Like I said- it's tough to figure them all out and it's not listed anywhere.

I'm probably going with the SEL as it saves me some money and I want a smoother ride. Although she SEL has been impossible to find- so I may end up with an SE- even though I like the dual climate control of the SEL

And SEl compared to SE- seems like it has a different center counsel cup holders are different and again- different seats- SE is slightly 2 tone.

It's all so confusing I almost want to give up on the Focus and just find a car on the lot I can buy and drive off in.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88039
What I Drive: Silver, 2003 X

FF Reputation: 1 rsay777 Good Standing Member
It looks to me that to get the specific trim levels requiring an order and wait.

Order one and then wait....or........wait and see what shows up at the dealer.

I'm almost sure that the 2.99 % loan rates I'm seeing now will most likely rise soon.

What a dilemma.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88175
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Tumdace Good Standing Member
What about the speaker thing I mentioned? You think I would miss out (I REALLY love my music) going with 6 speaker as opposed to 10 speaker with sub?

The actually I did the math wrong on the SEL vs TIT as well.

With the feautres I want on the SEL compared to the TIT, its a $2400 difference.

Not sure there is anything on the TIT that isnt on the SEL that I would miss out on (lack of information doesnt help me).

Not sure if I should just say "Screw it, I only live once" and go for the TIT?

Man I love decision making...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

Points 241, Level 4
Points: 241, Level: 4 Points: 241, Level: 4 Points: 241, Level: 4
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
I haven't heard the Titanium's sound system, but I've heard the non-Sony version and it's pretty terrible haha. This didn't really matter to me because my brother and I pretty much always swap out our stock sound systems. So if you're inclined to save some cash on MFT and Sony you can just buy probably nicer speakers than in the Sony package for a better price. Also MFT just seems glitchy and unfinished. I like manual controls in my car and don't want to have to be craning over on a touch screen just trying to get my AC a little colder etc. Also most phones today have really great GPS navigation. I'd just recommend listening to the SE sound system and the Sony sound system and make sure to crank up the volume more than halfway so you can tell that the speakers are terrible. Then you can decide if you want to put in your own head unit and speakers later on. ;)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87766
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium, Sedan

Points 181, Level 3
Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Johnwillyson Good Standing Member
Titanium also comes with the Intelligent Access System (push button start, and touch door unlocking without pulling out your keys) and blacked out light housings which are NOT options.

MFT just had a big update to fix the crashing and do some tweaking, so the complaints you hear should (hopefully) no longer be valid.
ETA Delivery: 8/8, Revised 8/17
Delivered 8/19

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.