Optima batteries?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 40,593, Level 100
Points: 40,593, Level: 100 Points: 40,593, Level: 100 Points: 40,593, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Optima batteries??

Optima batteries, does anyone have one I going battery shoping this weekend i'd like to get a Optima but i'm a member on a ranger forum and we had a discussion on optima a while back and they metioned thye are worth the price and there quality has gone down the drain over the years. An I'd be better off getting a diehard or something, whata think?? If so which sould I get yellow, or red top?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

Points 3,405, Level 36
Points: 3,405, Level: 36 Points: 3,405, Level: 36 Points: 3,405, Level: 36
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Odyssey

or Diehard Platinum (rebadged Odyssey, and often cheaper)

I've heard the same thing about Optimas not being as good as they once were on my toyota 4x4 site.............
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 20,305, Level 89
Points: 20,305, Level: 89 Points: 20,305, Level: 89 Points: 20,305, Level: 89
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 69%
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%
FF Reputation: 53 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Optima's quality went downhill after the company was bought by Johnson Controls in (about) November of 2000.

I've seen many complaints about them and haven't heard anyone say they last near as long as the originals. I got ~10 years out of mine from early 2001. Have acquaintances with recent ones who've only got 3 years out of theirs.

It's up to you.
Personally I won't buy another one.
*still space available*
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 80178
What I Drive: 2006 Sapphire Blue Sentra Spec-V

FF Reputation: 3 QR25DE_SpecV Good Standing Member
You have to care for an Optima differently. Some people don't understand that, and they kill them prematurely.

While I worked at Autozone, I had only 5 Optima's come in. The battery tester read them all as bad, nobody wanted to try and revive them.

Only one of them I couldn't restore because it had a blown cell, the others were still kickin'!

I put an 05 Optima blue top to work on my friends truck last year. Still kickin', and was dead as a dodo when it came in.

I keep telling the owners, they are just sleeping not dead.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
I have one. They dont make a battery that will fit into the focus battery box. I have one and unless you have a big system (I do not) They really arent worth it.
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 80178
What I Drive: 2006 Sapphire Blue Sentra Spec-V

FF Reputation: 3 QR25DE_SpecV Good Standing Member
They are totally worth it. Go into an autozone with an employee 20% discount = $40 off your optima straight away. Then another $12 off for a garbage core. Now you've saved over $50, and they are only a little more expensive than the others. The extra bones on the battery is worth the peace of mind knowing it'll start every morning.

1) They last twice as long as a regular battery
2) They make great utility batteries (powering chargers, tools, various electronics, etc)
3) They don't care which way is up.
4) Incredibly shock resistant
5) Powerful!
6) Deep cycle (must be driven/trickle charged regularly)

If the most strenuous thing your car sees is the school run, you don't need/want one. If you have a race car, a sound system, a truck that you bash around, etc, then you'd be looking at an Optima.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 548, Level 10
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
I really don't get why Optimas are so popular. My experience with them was a bit unusual, but from what I saw they are JUNK. Especially the Red Tops.

I had never heard of an Optima before 2008, when I was in Iraq. Some of you may know that the military's supply system is incredibly screwed up. For several months, we were unable to get any new automotive-type batteries for our fleet of forklifts, backhoes, ditch witches, and various other small pieces of equipment. We had bigger batteries with threaded posts for the bigger equipment, but no ordinary top-post batteries for smaller stuff. I pretty much had a route every morning where I went around and jump started forklifts all over Al Asad.

My boss found a whole pallet of Optima Red Tops in a warehouse yard. I don't know who they belonged to, but he made some kind of deal with the warehouse boss man and he got the batteries. I was stoked. I was glad that I would get a break from my jump-start routine. So we started installing them, and it turns out that about 2/3 of them were dead. We tried jump starting and letting it run, we tried fast charging, we tried trickle charging. None of it made any difference. The ones that actually worked only lasted a couple of months.

Maybe those batteries had been sitting in the desert heat for a few years, I don't know. I just know that they claim to be the Most-Awesome-Battery-Known-To-Man, and they were CRAP. Later on I ended up putting two Optima Yellow Top batteries in my service truck. I certainly didn't want them, but they were the only thing available at the time. Those did work, just like any battery should. I didn't notice anything special about them.

I've had Walmart batteries last for 6 or 7 years in Tennessee. Maybe it's worth paying for a premium battery up north, I don't know, but if you're in a reasonable climate, any new battery will work.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 40,593, Level 100
Points: 40,593, Level: 100 Points: 40,593, Level: 100 Points: 40,593, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Odyssey

or Diehard Platinum (rebadged Odyssey, and often cheaper)

I've heard the same thing about Optimas not being as good as they once were on my toyota 4x4 site.............
Yea I think I'll be going with this^^ I heard all the same stuff that everyone else is saying on the ranger forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QR25DE_SpecV View Post
They are totally worth it. Go into an autozone with an employee 20% discount = $40 off your optima straight away. Then another $12 off for a garbage core. Now you've saved over $50, and they are only a little more expensive than the others. The extra bones on the battery is worth the peace of mind knowing it'll start every morning.

2) They make great utility batteries (powering chargers, tools, various electronics, etc)
5) Powerful!

If the most strenuous thing your car sees is the school run, you don't need/want one. If you have a race car, a sound system, a truck that you bash around, etc, then you'd be looking at an Optima.
I just cruise on the weekends and drive to work on the weekdays. Yea I don't have much of a life work and marrage pretty much takes all that away. lol The last thing I need is a high maintenance paper weight in a DD. I already have one in the passenger seat.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
I've had Optima batteries in my last 2 cars... I have seen no difference what so ever over the standard stock batteries, hadn't owned them long enough to see the difference in overall life though.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83876
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 sooner4x4 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QR25DE_SpecV View Post
5) Powerful!

Most people need a battery that will start the car. That is all a battery does. For a second or so, it is needed to turn the starter. For me:

1. Thinking back over the years, I don't believe I have ever had to replace a battery more than once in a vehicle. Buy a car, the existing battery lasts 3,4,5 years, then replace the battery. 4 or 5 years later, the car is wrecked, sold or traded with that same battery.
2. Car battery, stays in the car.
3. My Focus cares which way is up. If it isn't right side up, I have more to worry about than a battery.
4. If there is a shock to my Focus powerful enough to hurt the battery, the Focus's next trip is probably to the body shop.
5. A standard battery has plenty of power to start the Focus. Extreme heat and cold are tough on a battery and we have both in Oklahoma, where standard batteries work just fine, for many years.
6. Don't want to have to think about how to treat a battery. The car's electrical system is designed to take care of the charging. Check the water a couple of times a year and make sure nothing is corroding. No more thought required. It is a battery for goodness sakes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.