SE loaded vs SEL - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86138
What I Drive: 2003 Mazda 6

FF Reputation: 1 MikeR55 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SE loaded vs SEL

I asked this in the "Ask a Dealer" as well but I may buy the car tomorrow- so wanted to find out..

The SEL hatch in silver is hard to find here in LA. If I get the SE with the 203A and sports pack- is that basically the same as the SEL? What would I be missing other than dual climate control?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

Points 172, Level 3
Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
This was sorta just gone over...
SE Sport Hatch vs. SEL Hatch

I went with the loaded SE Hatch for 2 reasons. The main one being I wanted the painted black wheels. The other benefit was the two tone cloth seats in the SE Sport over the SEL.

There is debate going on about the suspension in the SE. Apparently on fordparts.com there are 3 options of suspensions (standard, touring and handling) SE would be standard SEL and Titanium would get touring and Titanium has option of handling package. Apparently touring is supposed to be softer and gives the car a bit more body roll.

Whatever it is I am extremely surprised with the suspension on my car and how it handles compared to my old mustang.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85309
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 hawkdog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post

I went with the loaded SE Hatch for 2 reasons. The main one being I wanted the painted black wheels. The other benefit was the two tone cloth seats in the SE Sport over the SEL.

There is debate going on about the suspension in the SE. Apparently on fordparts.com there are 3 options of suspensions (standard, touring and handling) SE would be standard SEL and Titanium would get touring and Titanium has option of handling package. Apparently touring is supposed to be softer and gives the car a bit more body roll.

Whatever it is I am extremely surprised with the suspension on my car and how it handles compared to my old mustang.
I think you got the shocks mixed up.

S, SE, and SEL get Standard.
SE Sport and Titanium get Touring
Titanium Handling gets Handling

Standard is the softest, touring is in the middle, handling is stiffest.

After another day driving the SEL, I will say that the SE Sport was more stable in high speed maneuvers than the SEL. I don't think the ride quality was much different either. I'm considering swapping out the stanard shocks for the touring, depending on how much work it is.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2012 1.6L 125hp Titanium wagon

Points 21,196, Level 91
Points: 21,196, Level: 91 Points: 21,196, Level: 91 Points: 21,196, Level: 91
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 16 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post

Standard suspension on North American Focus comes on the S, SE (without Sport Package) and SEL.
Touring suspension comes as an option on the SE with Sport Suspension and as standard feature on Titanium.
Handling or Optimized suspension comes optional in the handling package on the Titanium.

Touring suspension is not softer, this is a sport tuned suspension.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Besides the touring suspension that you wont get, you wont get the sport seats with the SEL either. But if you dont get the SEL you wont get climate control like you said, you wont get the special interior mood lights that you can change, (SEs have single color in the foot wells), you wont have the puddle lamps on the mirrors, and thats all I can think of. There might be small other things but not sure. A base SEL will be cheaper then a fully loaded SE with sportpackage and sync and convience package, but only by a few hundred. It really depends on whether you care about the sport suspension and seats or not...this will determine which to get. I would also drive both back to back.

My family is in pretty much the same boat, SE with sport pack or base SEL.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Okay, now I'm confused and have seen three different answers.
I test hopped a fairly basic SE today, and thought it cornered really well.

I'm debating ordering the handling suspension package, which comes with the more aggressive summer tires (and a real spare?)

Really love a good handler, but our local roads are often cratered and rough, and I don't want it to take my teeth loose. How firm is the handling package, especially from those of you with frost-belt roads?

Thnx,
Moon
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 9,421, Level 65
Points: 9,421, Level: 65 Points: 9,421, Level: 65 Points: 9,421, Level: 65
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 14 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Okay, now I'm confused and have seen three different answers.
I test hopped a fairly basic SE today, and thought it cornered really well.

I'm debating ordering the handling suspension package, which comes with the more aggressive summer tires (and a real spare?)

Really love a good handler, but our local roads are often cratered and rough, and I don't want it to take my teeth loose. How firm is the handling package, especially from those of you with frost-belt roads?

Thnx,
Moon
To get the handling package you need to get a Ti model. Can't get it with SE. SE sports package gets you different suspension.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 06-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
To get the handling package you need to get a Ti model. Can't get it with SE. SE sports package gets you different suspension.

Posted via FF Mobile amongst many many other things.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.