JD Powers on Ford 2011 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,749, Level 24
Points: 1,749, Level: 24 Points: 1,749, Level: 24 Points: 1,749, Level: 24
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Post JD Powers on Ford 2011

JD Power reports that Ford initial quality tumbles to worse than average. Last year Ford was the highest rated non luxury brand coming in at number 5 overall. Why? I have the answer why. The MyFordTouch (MFT) available in all Lincolns and some Fords is ... um ... well quirky and difficult for some to figure out.

For the most part it takes some one that is computer savvy to navigate the MFT. Last year I spent 3 hours with my 77 year old Uncle in his Lincoln MKZ. He spent a great part of the 3 hours yelling at the car's voice recognition in Italian. (that did not help) In the end he learned if you talk nice to the car you can get the car to do almost any thing.

Are there problems with MFT? Yes. I am waiting for a software upgrade from Ford. Ford contacted me yesterday and told me the software fix is 75% ready. What that means .. per them .. it is finished and they are still bench testing it.

Do I regret all the technology in my car ... nope!!! I love it!!!!

Well quality is a marathon not a sprint. Ford is aggressively loading up cars with electronics. Ford knew this would cause problems with their quality numbers. Lets see how the work out in the long haul. Ford should follow me Because I will have 100K on my little black beauty in three years. I am a Ford Fan but I am open minded and honest.

I love my MFT!!! Ford is getting a lot of complaints about it. The line workers and quality control people know nothing about how MFT works. They are not testing it. It is a Microsoft product that is installed in the vehicle. Ford may argue with me on that statement. It is less "broken" and more confusing to the end user. Most complaints are solved by Ford telling the user ... how to use it .. not "oh, its broken ... take it back to get fixed" (these are reportable events to JD Powers)

Going forward cars will need to have scheduled software updates for their cars' computer systems much like our computers do now. I know the Focus can connect to the internet. Currently there is no app or benefit for it to do so .. but it does connect either thru wi-fi or thru a synced cell phone. So what is to stop it from pulling down updates as they become available on the web?

In a speech about a year and half ago. Bill Ford Jr. made a profound statement. I will paraphrase "Ford, going forward, will become a technology company, not just a car company" I think it is a bold move for Ford to be one of the first companies out of the gate to offer all the latest technology in a vehicle. If they sit back on their laurels the technology boom could pass them by. So do I fault Ford .. yes .. and here is how I fault them. They need to get their sales reps at the dealer level and their service techs up to speed on what MyFordTouch can do. As I learn things about my car I call the sales rep that sold me the car and inform him. He is a nice guy but clueless on how the MFT works.

That is just my 2 cents ....

PS - I am also worried about JD Powers 2012 report. The dual clutch that puzzels and confuses drivers will certainly tank the numbers again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1152
What I Drive: 03 SVTf & 00 Xploder AWD 5.0

Points 2,098, Level 27
Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 edingeek Good Standing Member
Why in gods name did they use bloated and buggy MICROSOFT software for this?! That is their first mistake... The Microsoft gps units suck, their phones suck... The list goes on and on.. If they wanted to be innovative and use a solid product... they should of based it on LINUX.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,383, Level 61
Points: 8,383, Level: 61 Points: 8,383, Level: 61 Points: 8,383, Level: 61
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 27 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I just read about this on MSN, its a shame that the main reason is the MFT
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43512251/ns/business-autos/
Old 06-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,968, Level 40
Points: 3,968, Level: 40 Points: 3,968, Level: 40 Points: 3,968, Level: 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi gtncpa,

We greatly appreciate your positive outlook. The feedback shows we have leading customer satisfaction, even as we quickly address near-term issues. As with any new technology, the key is to listen to our customers, learn as much as we can about their experiences and move quickly to fix issues and continuously improve, as all good technology companies do. By monitoring forums such as these, it enables us to gather information in a highly beneficial way, helping both the company and the customers.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,749, Level 24
Points: 1,749, Level: 24 Points: 1,749, Level: 24 Points: 1,749, Level: 24
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi gtncpa,

We greatly appreciate your positive outlook. The feedback shows we have leading customer satisfaction, even as we quickly address near-term issues. As with any new technology, the key is to listen to our customers, learn as much as we can about their experiences and move quickly to fix issues and continuously improve, as all good technology companies do. By monitoring forums such as these, it enables us to gather information in a highly beneficial way, helping both the company and the customers.

~Natasha
Hi Natasha-

I just watched the afternoon addition of Automotive News. It looks like Ford has some ideas to get the information into the hands of the dealerships. From there it can be used to help the consumer. The details will be in the Monday print addition. Like any new launch ... three important things .. education, education, education!!!! BMW got a black eye with its "i"drive several years ago .. lets hope Ford recovers as well as BMW.

Classes at local dealerships would be a great way to transfer the information from Ford.

I love getting in my Focus every day ... in some ways more than my Roush Mustang. Sure the Mustang is fast ... and its a vert .. but the Focus feels like a luxury car in every way. Here is a list off all the things the Titanium Focus is missing.
  1. Memory seats
  2. Cooled seats
  3. Power passenger seat
Compare it to any luxury car you want .. and that is all it is missing. Well done Ford! If they tweak it and re-badge it as a Lincoln .. it would sell in my opinion. The competition for a Titanium Focus does not come from America. Don't laugh but I think it is a better car than the Audi A3.

Thx for listening

Greg
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,968, Level 40
Points: 3,968, Level: 40 Points: 3,968, Level: 40 Points: 3,968, Level: 40
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
Hi Natasha-

I just watched the afternoon addition of Automotive News. It looks like Ford has some ideas to get the information into the hands of the dealerships. From there it can be used to help the consumer. The details will be in the Monday print addition. Like any new launch ... three important things .. education, education, education!!!! BMW got a black eye with its "i"drive several years ago .. lets hope Ford recovers as well as BMW.

Classes at local dealerships would be a great way to transfer the information from Ford.

I love getting in my Focus every day ... in some ways more than my Roush Mustang. Sure the Mustang is fast ... and its a vert .. but the Focus feels like a luxury car in every way. Here is a list off all the things the Titanium Focus is missing.
  1. Memory seats
  2. Cooled seats
  3. Power passenger seat
Compare it to any luxury car you want .. and that is all it is missing. Well done Ford! If they tweak it and re-badge it as a Lincoln .. it would sell in my opinion. The competition for a Titanium Focus does not come from America. Don't laugh but I think it is a better car than the Audi A3.

Thx for listening

Greg
Hi Greg,

Thank you for the great feedback. Your view of the Titanium Focus as equivalent to many "luxury" cars is fantastic. As you stated, we have made it easier for customers to receive the information they need by offering personalized training sessions from our dealers, as well as an interactive, easy-to-use support website featuring “how to” videos and dedicated technology experts in our Customer Assistance Center. We are taking our customer feedback and proactively resolving issues. I appreciate your support!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,144, Level 99
Points: 29,144, Level: 99 Points: 29,144, Level: 99 Points: 29,144, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edingeek View Post
If they wanted to be innovative and use a solid product... they should of based it on LINUX.
Well open source would be nice, however people want simple ergonomics, although user modifications- like a personalized home screen would be keen. Have the Ford logo fade out to a pic of your wife or dog, or fade to a pic when not being used, or simply fade black. That would be nifty.

The right company to employ would've been Apple. There the ones that seem to be able to make things simple and consumer proof.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1152
What I Drive: 03 SVTf & 00 Xploder AWD 5.0

Points 2,098, Level 27
Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27 Points: 2,098, Level: 27
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 edingeek Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Well open source would be nice, however people want simple ergonomics, although user modifications- like a personalized home screen would be keen. Have the Ford logo fade out to a pic of your wife or dog, or fade to a pic when not being used, or simply fade black. That would be nifty.

The right company to employ would've been Apple. There the ones that seem to be able to make things simple and consumer proof.
If it was Linux it would be vastly customizable and elegant if done right.. For some ideas check of KDE.org... Looks better than Mac osx and win 7 IMO :-D
Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,144, Level 99
Points: 29,144, Level: 99 Points: 29,144, Level: 99 Points: 29,144, Level: 99
Level Up 49% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moved to Ford Focus and General Car Chat.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,878, Level 97
Points: 26,878, Level: 97 Points: 26,878, Level: 97 Points: 26,878, Level: 97
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Its not microsoft that was the problem, sync has worked fine for years. Ford just switched to a different software coding provider and that didnt work out so well.

Welcome Natasha, please know that there are many that will take this JD power list with a grain of salt. Granted theres issue with MFT, but that is no reason to drop a company so much, especially when the issue does not effect driveability of the car and theres more fords without it then with. Unfortunatly there will be some who just read the list and see that Ford dropped, but I certainly will be making every effort to inform people on this forum as well as the public of Fords true quality. Keep up the good work.

Oh and to the OP, ps this is a repost lol.

And this is to Ford, in regards to powershift, please do not make it more "smooth" and like what people are used to in a tq converter automatic. If anything the Magazines and auto enthusiasts are complaining it isnt as quick as other dct out there. So that is the direction to go. Do not dumb it down.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.