2007 vs. 2010-2011 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55935
What I Drive: 14 5dr SE, 09 4dr SE, 07 ZX3 SAP

Points 2,383, Level 29
Points: 2,383, Level: 29 Points: 2,383, Level: 29 Points: 2,383, Level: 29
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 JBZZX3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 vs. 2010-2011

Hey wassup...

I am torn on what to do... I like my 2007 Ford Focus SES w/ SAP but because of the amount gas is starting to cost again... its got me wanting more MPG again. The 2007 routinely gets between 27-29 MPG's between work and home every single week and that is great but recently I got a chance to drive a 2010 Focus SE Sedan around while my 07 was in the shop and I managed to average 5-6 mpg better in the 4 door sedan with an automatic and no cruise control.

Since then... I just can't get that out of my head. It would seem like it should be a no brainer to go after the gas mileage because I commute back and forth to work so much that better MPG is pretty important to me. I fill up once a week... about 10 gallons. If I saved 5-6 mpgs every week... that would equate to about 50-60 more miles per every tank, gain about 200-240 more miles per month and would save me about 30-40 dollars more every month.

Some of the headaches that my 07 has been giving me would be things like eating tires every 30-35K, recently replacing the Intake manifold Runner Control Valves (Tumble Flaps), replacing the sway bar bushings, hard (yet impressive) suspension, shifting manual trans has unfortunately started bothering my knew recently and my 60K drive-train warranty is almost up.

Some of the plus of my 07 is the handling, the stick shift (misnomer), the fact that its a hatch back and the current trade in value on this model is still pretty high right now.

Some of the 10-11 draw backs are that is has no hatch back available, 4 doors are more plentiful then 2 doors and unimpressive handling (yet smoother ride).

The plus sides would be better MPG, newer warranty smoother ride and a few nicer built in features.

For those of you who have driven both... I'd really like to hear your opinion!

Thanks a lot for any advice...

JBZ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Hatch Nation #136

Fan#: 86366
What I Drive: 2003 Mineral Grey Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 14 benkap Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Is your '07 paid off?

If so, you have to think about the additional car payment offsetting the savings in gas.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
The gas savings won't make up for the added expense in payments you'd be making towards the 2010. I'd hardly consider the 2007 a gas guzzler either. I'm driving something that gets around 22 mpg regularly. I'd consider it a major blessing to get anything above that. Have you considered getting a tuneup or getting your Focus chipped/tuned? Even a CAI and exhaust upgrade will help a bit. And you won't be stuck making large monthly payments.

I know you list other reasons for the 2010, but honestly the feature differences aren't that dramatically different between the two generations. If you were comparing to a 2012 Focus, then yeah I'd say it would be a wiser investment. Plus you'd get 38-40 mpg, waaaay more features (even the base S), better resale value, AND better peformance. It won't be long before used 2012 models will start appearing at dealerships too.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,806, Level 97
Points: 26,806, Level: 97 Points: 26,806, Level: 97 Points: 26,806, Level: 97
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile ^^^ Agreed. I would check everything on your car to make sure it is running smoothly. How are your current tires, which do you have? Is your cars alignment right, are your brakes good, when was that last time you changed your fuel filter? Im thinking you can squeeze some miles out of your car, and maybe even lighten up on the right foot a bit.

Are those mpgs city or highway? City thats pretty damn good.

Pretty much dont do it. You want more miles, get a 2012. The 2008-2011s dont have much of a difference to warrant spending more money for. And you said you want a four door hatch so, the 2012 is your answer.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

Points 1,027, Level 17
Points: 1,027, Level: 17 Points: 1,027, Level: 17 Points: 1,027, Level: 17
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It isn't practical with the mileage your drive -

I daily drove my 2000 Contour SVT for years, loved every second behind the wheel - torque everywhere and it was comfortable and took me everywhere. The 3L un-tuned mileage was killing me and I was sick of getting gas twice a week

I drive over 100 miles every day to work and back and on top of that, I drive around a bit to see friends and cruising around. It was expensive - so expensive I was able to get a loan for a 2008 SE, my insurance went up ~20/month and my gas bill was over HALF of what it used to be. I'm saving so much driving a new car - over $150 a month in gas alone.

I miss driving my SVT though-

I went from this-

To this-

I really need some wheels, drop and tint.

All in all I don't think you drive enough to justify buying anew car JUST to save money at the pump... If your current car needs a lot of work done you may be able to justify it now, but will you be able to later on?
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73657
What I Drive: SportCombi

FF Reputation: 3 Ziggy Cockburn Good Standing Member
I never understand people that are willing to drop 10 grand on a newer car to save 20 bucks a month on gas.

I agree with above, either go for a 12, or lighten up on the left foot and keep the 07. I think what the 07 will cost you in maintenance will be far less then paying for another car.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,383, Level 29
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Those are all points well taken. I appreciate the input... its a hard call for me...

benkap... No I still have a payment... and your right my payment would be a touch higher... not the biggest draw back but your right...

mmmoose... yes.. I have considered those mods... and I like the MPG tune idea... I always have... the CAI can be switched out easy enough for trips back to the dealer.... but the cost involved with those things range from $400-$800+. So... I look at it like... why do that when I can just take that money and use it as a down payment on a car that has a new car warranty and gets better MPG without any mods.

DrkKnight614... The 07 is tip top... the oil is changed religiously between 3 and 4K... I never wait till the 5k factory rec. mark. The Alignment is straight... doesn't pull at all. the brakes are about ready to be done... they don't wobble though so the discs aren't warped (might be able to have them turned still... although I would prefer new discs every time). The 2nd set of tires are about done already. 2 sets in under 60K miles. I regret not getting the dealer to do EVER tire rotation because Copper would be giving me a new set of tires right now. The Cooper CS4's were supposed to be 80K tires!!!! (YEah right!) Fuel filter was changed at 45K. As far as my MPGs go.. those are between work and home... so... a mixture of city and county roads... never highway... I would say 20% city and 80% county roads at 55-60 MPH... nice long stretches and few stoplights. If I hyper mile it ... I have gotten very very close to 30 mpg... but have NEVER broke that Holy Grail 30MPG mark... and I have tried HARD to break that mark!!! The 2010 four door did that without even really trying... plus I had no cruise control!

You are all right... I would MUCH rather have the 2012 4 door hatch but I can't afford the newest model right now. Next year would be a better time BUT... the Dealer Trade in Value Blue Book on my 07 is so high right now... $8400 but since I have an SAP... I'm thinking I could get a touch more for it. Blue Book Private Selling is rated closer to $9200... still... I would at least be breaking even or even possibly coming out a little ahead. So that is a good point... I'd would at least wouldn't owe anything on the 07 but would be incurring a new payment plan.

I have also been seriously considering the Fiesta but I can't fit my mountain bike in the back of it! I CAN fit it in my 07 but its TIGHT! I got a 29er so the bigger wheel forces me to un-mount the rims every time I drive it some place.

So yeah the 2012 5 door Foci would be sweet! I think I may still wait to see what is out at the end of the year but I am a bit anxious knowing that my trade in value is so high right now.. and knowing I could actually break even on my 07 makes me want to rush out and get a new 2011 SES 2 door with those sweet SVT style mags!

lol...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,383, Level 29
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Well.. your right I don't drive 100 miles a day but still... its around 50 miles a day...

My 1993 Caprice was getting me 13-15 MPG.. so I doubled my MPG with the 07 Foci... that was the main reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleQ View Post
It isn't practical with the mileage your drive -

I daily drove my 2000 Contour SVT for years, loved every second behind the wheel - torque everywhere and it was comfortable and took me everywhere. The 3L un-tuned mileage was killing me and I was sick of getting gas twice a week

I drive over 100 miles every day to work and back and on top of that, I drive around a bit to see friends and cruising around. It was expensive - so expensive I was able to get a loan for a 2008 SE, my insurance went up ~20/month and my gas bill was over HALF of what it used to be. I'm saving so much driving a new car - over $150 a month in gas alone.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,383, Level 29
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn View Post
I never understand people that are willing to drop 10 grand on a newer car to save 20 bucks a month on gas.

I agree with above, either go for a 12, or lighten up on the left foot and keep the 07. I think what the 07 will cost you in maintenance will be far less then paying for another car.
No... it would be more like 30-40 a month. Believe me I got my monthly commuting costs down to science. I could hyper mile the automatic and get probably even better. My mortgage payment went up 40 a month this year... and sometimes you got to dig deep for savings in other places. I prefer to use less gasoline... it is after all my biggest controllable monthly expense. I'd get an electric if I could afford it... that way I'd be paying for American coal instead of foreign oil... but those electrics are going to sell for some place in the $25-30K range I think.

BTW.. I don't beat on the 07. I take real good care of it. I get 27-29 and if I hyper mile it I can get ALMOST 30 but it takes ALOT of patience to do that every single day!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
On a side note I have Cooper CS4s also. They're THE WORST tires I've ever had, period. Granted they're labeled "Grand Touring", so they're made primarily for comfort and longevity (like you said, "yeah right"). They have virtually no sidewall reinforcement and feel extremely mushy during hard cornering. I was expecting to get better rain/snow handling because of the price I paid for them... but nope, they just straight up suck. I can't find a single redeeming feature.

I'm trying to burn through them as fast as I can so I can go back to my Continentals. I was also happy to see Ford using Continentals on the new 2012 Focus too (I think the same exact ones that came with my Rabbit). They're awesome tires that offer outstanding all-season handling and a great deal of predictability when they're pushed to their limits. Knowing Ford uses them also makes the switch back to Ford even more tempting... ;-)

EDIT: And btw I totally know your pain of deciding between modding versus saving up towards a new car. I went through the same thing with my 2002 Focus. I put so much money into the SVT parts and the MagnaFlow exhaust. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I needed something safer for turnpike travel (for a job). I still miss that car and wish I could've kept it as a second car... I just hope you don't make the same mistake. :-( Although in hindsight I probably could've afforded the GTI if I hadn't spent thousands in mods.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.