Official: 3cyl Ecoboost and 8spd auto transmission - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Official: 3cyl Ecoboost and 8spd auto transmission

Derrick Kuzak, Ford Group Vice President of Global Product Development, has confirmed that the Dearborn automaker will offer turbocharged EcoBoost powertrains in 90 percent of its vehicles here in the United States by 2013. This journey for (nearly) full-line forced-induction started with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 found in the Taurus, Flex and F-150, as well as the Lincoln MKS and MKT. Next, we'll be seeing a 2.0-liter EcoBoost inline-four under the hood of the Edge and Explorer, and now, Ford has confirmed development of a 1.0-liter EcoBoost three-cylinder engine.

This 1.0-liter, inline-three will be the smallest engine in Ford's portfolio, and it will find its way under the hood of vehicles across the globe. No specific output or fuel economy numbers have been divulged just yet, but Joe Bakaj, Ford's Vice President of Global Powertrain Engineering, says that the 1.0-liter triple will provide similar power to the automaker's 1.6-liter naturally aspirated four, while improving fuel economy. When asked, Bakaj tells us that the fuel economy improvements will be similar in percentage to those with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 compared to a naturally aspirated V8.

Ford says it plans to announce more information about the 1.0-liter engine at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show, including exactly what vehicles will be powered by this mill. Since Ford is benchmarking its 1.6-liter engine here the powerplant used in the Fiesta we'd expect that this EcoBoost three almost certainly slot into Ford's smallest offering here in the States.

The Blue Oval has also confirmed that it is working on an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission, which is being designed, engineered and built by Ford in-house. Bakaj states that the eight-speed automatic will offer "best-in-class" shift smoothness and responsiveness.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/02/ford-confirms-1-0l-ecoboost-three-cylinder-eight-speed-transmis/

What you guys think. Do you have a problem with seeing a 1.0L 3?
Posted via FF Mobile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69219
What I Drive: 2007 blue 1.6

Points 5,537, Level 47
Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Z_interactive Good Standing Member
1.6 100 hp is almost the same as 1.6 120 hp in fiesta, so 1.0 EB will replace both of these in fiesta and EU focus!

So in real life:

MkII 1.6 100 hp 5 speed manual focus gets
23.5 mpg city
29 mpg on open road

MkIII 1.6 105 hp ti-vct 5 speed manual focus gets the same

but I guess MkIII facelift focus could get 1.0 EB with 100 hp and 8 automatic gearbox.
that could make 30 mpg in city if they optimize engine and gearbox
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Would be neat to see a 3cyl. EcoBoost put in a Fiesta. Like a reincarnated Chevy Sprint Turbo(for those who are old enough to remember those).
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
It's going to be tough to sell these at first when people hear about how tiny these engines are. Although Fiat has already pulled off an acceptable MultiAir TwinAir (2-cylinder) engine for the 500...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think it's a given that we'll see this in an upcoming Fiesta. But I'd also like to see an EcoBoost version of the current 1.6L engine. Technically they could already get the Fiesta to push over 40 mpg with some direct injection. I guess Ford simply doesn't want to cut into Focus and Fusion Hybrid sales either.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
It's going to be tough to sell these at first when people hear about how tiny these engines are. Although Fiat has already pulled off an acceptable MultiAir TwinAir (2-cylinder) engine for the 500...
Only the 4 cyl. version of the MultiAir engine is sold here in the U.S. currently in the Fiat 500. If people were willing to buy Geo Metros with a 3 cyl.(and back then gas was cheap)then a FI 3 cyl should be no problem.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
GO Green

Points 26,907, Level 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Posted via FF Mobile Z...itll be more then that. You need to remeber our 2.0l 160hp engine in the focus gets 28/40, with that engine in a small car like the fiesta it better be getting more like 35/45 even 50mpg.

And Moose, i doubt thats why. In the coming years theyll update the fiesta engine to get more, or else its pointless to have. They just havent gotten to it. The only reason the focus is getting the mpgs it does and the 40mpg is because it competitiors got their first...so there was no way ford was going to let that slide.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
So who's going to be first to market with a 1 cylinder engine w/ 21 speed chain driven "transmission" borrowed from a bicycle?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
GO Green

Points 26,907, Level 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Posted via FF Mobile Some more information...

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-articles/cuvs/edge/smallest-ford-engine-ever-three-cylinder-ecoboost-and-two-new-transmissions/
Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
The descriptions are kind of vague regarding the 8-speed transmission. Will it use a traditional torque converter system or a dual clutch? I'm a little concerned that Ford is doing this because people were whining about the jerkiness of the PowerShift transmission. I wouldn't exactly say more gears are better either, so I wouldn't get too excited about seeing that number. What matters more is the responsiveness of the transmission itself.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
The descriptions are kind of vague regarding the 8-speed transmission. Will it use a traditional torque converter system or a dual clutch? I'm a little concerned that Ford is doing this because people were whining about the jerkiness of the PowerShift transmission. I wouldn't exactly say more gears are better either, so I wouldn't get too excited about seeing that number. What matters more is the responsiveness of the transmission itself.
Based on the other 8 speeds out there, it won't be dual clutch. ZF builds an 8 speed for Audi and it isn't as efficient as the DSG 6. However, it is 20% cheaper to build and is "smoother" than the DSG. It has that horrible thing called a torque converter that Americans seem to love so much. I'm sure the other draw is the new transmission is start-stop compatible. Ford doesn't use one right now besides the hybrid CVT in the USA (the Dual-Clutch is supposed to get start-stop too).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.