Focus Titanium Wheels - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Titanium Wheels

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the wheel options for the Focus Titanium. In particular, the standard 17" aluminum wheels vs. the machined and painted alloy wheels. The aluminum wheels look a lot like what's on the Fusion Hybrid...does anyone know if they might be better for highway mileage than the alloy wheels? Or is this purely a matter of cosmetic preferences...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85470
What I Drive: 2005 Velocity Red Mazda3s hatch

Points 222, Level 4
Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SV100 Good Standing Member
The standard Titanium wheels have been on other European Fords for a while:

The 18" option has summer tires if that's what you're talking about, but I don't know if that affects fuel economy (it's rated the same as the regular Titanium, so I don't think the difference is larger than negligible)
Old 05-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

Points 11,374, Level 70
Points: 11,374, Level: 70 Points: 11,374, Level: 70 Points: 11,374, Level: 70
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
I'm not sure about the other models, but my Titanium with the 18" wheels has a recommended tire pressure of 39 psi. At that pressure you can feel EVERY bump in the road. I disliked it so much that I took the pressure down to 32 psi and I'm much happier. I can only assume that my gas mileage will suffer, and who knows how the tread wear will look after a few thousand miles. But honestly, it doesn't matter because 39 psi is ridiculously high and made me cringe every time I got behind the wheel. Just something to think about.

Tony
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86214
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cchaos Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV100 View Post
The standard Titanium wheels have been on other European Fords for a while:

The 18" option has summer tires if that's what you're talking about, but I don't know if that affects fuel economy (it's rated the same as the regular Titanium, so I don't think the difference is larger than negligible)
I was thinking of the 17" painted alloy vs. the aluminum. I picked up my Focus yesterday, and we thought it would have the alloys but it has the aluminums like in your photo.

It turned out that only Titanium Hatch my dealer was able to find in my area has the aluminum wheels. I was skeptical at first, but seeing them in person, the aluminum ones look better than I expected when on the vehicle. They didn't have any Foci with the alloy wheels. I'm trying to decide if it's worth swapping them out, but it sounds like it's just a matter of what looks better.

P.S. - I originally wanted the 18" alloys, but after thinking about it, I was afraid the ride quality might be too rough like Tony mentioned.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86251
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 LBNab Good Standing Member
Mine has the 18" 5 spoke alloys and they are by far my favorite of the ones I have seen. Ride seems great to me. I came out of driving a 3-series with 19" CSLs which were really rough so maybe the slight improvement has effected me greater than most.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85470
What I Drive: 2005 Velocity Red Mazda3s hatch

Points 222, Level 4
Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4 Points: 222, Level: 4
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SV100 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaos View Post
I was thinking of the 17" painted alloy vs. the aluminum. I picked up my Focus yesterday, and we thought it would have the alloys but it has the aluminums like in your photo.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...gits/alloy.jpg
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/aluminum.jpg

It turned out that only Titanium Hatch my dealer was able to find in my area has the aluminum wheels. I was skeptical at first, but seeing them in person, the aluminum ones look better than I expected when on the vehicle. They didn't have any Foci with the alloy wheels. I'm trying to decide if it's worth swapping them out, but it sounds like it's just a matter of what looks better.

P.S. - I originally wanted the 18" alloys, but after thinking about it, I was afraid the ride quality might be too rough like Tony mentioned.
Well in that case, I doubt there's an appreciable difference. Both 17" options probably have the same tires, so at that point the only thing that can affect drivability/ride quality is diameter. I wouldn't worry

Personally I'm not sure which looks better. The 15-spokes are classy but the painted ones look great too (and they look fantastic with the Titanium's tinted headlights)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,673, Level 23
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
The 18's come with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (PS3). Just a great tire! Only for summer use .. so factor that in if you are in the north. Well I am use to driving my Roush Mustang .. so even with the 18" PS3's the car feels like a limo. The 17" one in the first pic are nice.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I love my 18s! They really should offer the 17s in the photo above on the Fiesta. They really upscale the Fiesta...just like the LED/HID ST headlamps would for the Focus!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85449
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 3 28HopUp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaos View Post
I'm trying to decide if it's worth swapping them out, but it sounds like it's just a matter of what looks better.
I don't know if it would be a factor for you or not, but the bottom wheels are going to be ALOT harder to clean up.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 8,592, Level 62
Points: 8,592, Level: 62 Points: 8,592, Level: 62 Points: 8,592, Level: 62
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 12 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I'm not sure about the other models, but my Titanium with the 18" wheels has a recommended tire pressure of 39 psi. At that pressure you can feel EVERY bump in the road. I disliked it so much that I took the pressure down to 32 psi and I'm much happier. I can only assume that my gas mileage will suffer, and who knows how the tread wear will look after a few thousand miles. But honestly, it doesn't matter because 39 psi is ridiculously high and made me cringe every time I got behind the wheel. Just something to think about.

Tony
The ride comfort sucks because you have low profile tires on there...that's the downside of 18" wheels, you get thinner sidewalls which means a stiffer ride.

You'd be better off replacing them with 17's or even 16's...hell you'll probably spend that much in tires considering the extra wear you're giving them. Sell the 18's to someone who wants them, use the money for new tires and wheels.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.