Trade-In? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86138
What I Drive: 2003 Mazda 6

FF Reputation: 1 MikeR55 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trade-In?

I'm planning on buying a Focus- maybe even this weekend. Or I may wait for the some incentives to happen in the next few weeks. Either way I am planning on trading in my 2003 Mazda 6 with 100,000 miles on it. I have never traded in a car so looking for what to expect. Ways to get better money, etc.

I know there is the Ford Swap My Ride event going on- but not seeing this as anything more than a marketing ad- or is there extra value they are giving to trade-ins right now?

Thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85122
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 osuivan Good Standing Member
Swap my ride isnt that great for the focus it's $500 right now, and you must go with ford financing.

I have no tips for how to get more, I'm new my self at this.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85593
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE (FWD+CVT)

FF Reputation: 1 Vincent JG Good Standing Member
Might not help much but try detailing both the inside and outside throughly. Make it look like a million bucks.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Look here for trade in value http://www.kbb.com/ but expect to be offered less. If you have time take it to a few places like Carmax and a different dealer and get their estimates.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
My '03 Mazda 6 with 104,000 miles got me $4500 trade in.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12680
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 with Zetec

FF Reputation: 6 awnuts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Say for instance your cars worth 4k put it on the street or craigslist or local paper. Take it to a dealer your going to get 2500 for it or less.Never trade in a car you make better money selling yourself. yea it might take a bit longer to sell it but you can go to the same dealer with a real down payment on a new one.Plus it sucks you trade it in and get 2500 and then go to the dealer the next week an see your car selling for 5k.I traded my old geo in on my focus when I bought it new. The dealer said I'll give you 900 for it.I said I want 2500 he said nope so I went home.An hour later he called and said yes.Dont get caught up in that new car smell lol.Its your money your game,you call the shots.And tell them flat out if they dont want to deal then you go to another dealer.I've had over a dozen new cars in my life and each time I got what I wanted.I'm not saying be a jerk but let them know you dont get sucked in.I promise you they want your buisness they will bend.I told the last guy I drove here in my 900 buck geo and I'm driving home.Yes car dealers are in buisness to make money and I dont mind giving them some profit but I'm going home intact with my pants on. Also go at the end of the month the salesmen are trying to get thier monthly qoutas and are better to deal with then.
Magnaflow cat back, EBC sport rotors with red pads,Focus sport stress bar,Yokohama EVS tires,volant cai,screamin demon coil and wires. Red powder coated calipers,Focal 5 spoke tuner wheels deep chrome edge.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86138
What I Drive: 2003 Mazda 6

FF Reputation: 1 MikeR55 Good Standing Member
Just went to look at Focus- now not as sure- it was a little too small for me. I like the size of the Prius better- but obviously no deals on that car right now!

As far as the trade in- the dealer told me Ford was offering $1,000 extra cash back on trade-ins- but that looks like the Focus is not included in that- even though he claimed it was. Oops.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
I think the cockpit design makes it feel a bit smaller.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84274
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 stevegee Good Standing Member
Go to CarMax and get a free, written, trade-in appraisal on your current ride. It's good for 5 days following the initial appraisal.
Then go to your Ford sales person and let him/her know that you have a firm, written offer for your current car. Don't tell your sales person the exact written appraisal amount yet...let him/her give you his/her best figure and then tell him/her (truthfully) whether it's a number you can live with (it won't match the CarMax offer, trust me)...negotiate from there.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 8,410, Level 61
Points: 8,410, Level: 61 Points: 8,410, Level: 61 Points: 8,410, Level: 61
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
A few tips from a reformed sales-ass:
-If you talked to them today (and you found something you MAY want to take home), 'court' the idea with the salesperson until the end of the month; they'll be hungry to close the month out strong
-Like Vincent JG said: detail the ever-loving-hell outta that trade in; the salesperson/appraiser will be profiling like a mickey-fickey! A spotless ride denotes an retentive owner. They'll tell you they "look past the dirt", but they'll be lying.
-Here's the breakdown they use: MSRP in 2003; cut it in half '05, now cut that in half in '09, and cut that in half in '13, and so on... 2yrs and every 4yrs after that to estimate trade in value at a dealer FOR A CAR IN GOOD condition.
-Mileage, accidents, dings/dents, and local auction values for similar cars will also influence the value
-100,000mi+ and they'll probably be looking to wholesale your car (which will influence the trade value, see the first tip though!)

If you have general idea what your car is worth to a dealer it helps you figure out if they're low-balling a decent trade-in.

Last edited by Mile30; 05-27-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.