2012 6-spd auto impressions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
fordtx

Fan#:
2012 6-spd auto impressions

I'm just curious as to what those of you think about the new 6-speed auto? I've had my '12 for about a month now and I'm luke warm on it. On the highway its as smooth as ice, but in the city it shifts like a sloppy manual transmission driver. I just can't seem to drive the way the car wants to be driven. The only reason i went with this over the manual is because I couldn't wait 2 months to order it, as the gas prices were killing me.

Anyone else having similar stories? Does anyone know of any firmware updates for the transmission? Or is this something I just have to learn to get used to?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85960
What I Drive: 2012, Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Sayer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtx View Post
I'm just curious as to what those of you think about the new 6-speed auto? I've had my '12 for about a month now and I'm luke warm on it. On the highway its as smooth as ice, but in the city it shifts like a sloppy manual transmission driver. I just can't seem to drive the way the car wants to be driven. The only reason i went with this over the manual is because I couldn't wait 2 months to order it, as the gas prices were killing me.

Anyone else having similar stories? Does anyone know of any firmware updates for the transmission? Or is this something I just have to learn to get used to?
You just need to give it some break in time. Mine did that at first but now I'm at about 1100 miles and its smooth all the time.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86055
What I Drive: 2008 Toyota Tundra

FF Reputation: 1 Minoy Good Standing Member
I have the same transmission. I agree with you. That is just how the double clutch acts. I have driven a 2009 BMW m3 with the same type of transmission and it was worse.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Yep, it's just how dual clutch transmissions are (regardless of manufacturer). It feels like a sloppy manual because technically it is a manual. There is no torque converter to smoothen things out. The major benefit you get from this is having more power delivered directly to the wheels. As a result you get better fuel economy and performance. That's the tradeoff involved with these transmissions.

Some break-in period may help, but I wouldn't expect to see any dramatic improvement. Maybe in time manufacturers will find a way to soften dual clutch transmissions without castrating its performance. But for now this is what the technology has to offer. Personally I like that notchy feeling and knowing what my car is doing. But I understand how it could be worrisome for owners of previous traditional automatics.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySocket View Post
I have a VW TDI with the DSG tranny, as well as the '12 focus auto. Out of the box the VW is hands down a smoother transmission, especially on the 1-2 shift. My expectation is that the Focus needs to be driven a bit and will smooth out with time. I do wish Ford would have gone with a lever shift or paddles instead of the silly little up/down arrow. The VW is just more inutuitive, as was my mercedes.

However, I tend to drive in sport mode most of the time.

I spend to much time in stop and go traffic, and will most likely never own a standard again. Getting old and lazy, I guess. And while I am sure the clutch on a focus is fairly light my knees just are not up to it anymore.

With all that said, I have been "focused" on some other issues with the car and have yet to really pay attention to the finer points of actually driving it.
The difference between dry dual clutch (Ford's PowerShift) and wet dual clutch (VW's DSG) might have something to do with the rough shifting too. I also think VW's DSG shifts a little smoother. However dry dual clutch transmissions have the added benefit of not requiring a routine fluid flush. They each have their own set of tradeoffs when it comes to that.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76504
What I Drive: 2007 blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mildc3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySocket View Post
I have a VW TDI with the DSG tranny, as well as the '12 focus auto. Out of the box the VW is hands down a smoother transmission, especially on the 1-2 shift. My expectation is that the Focus needs to be driven a bit and will smooth out with time. I do wish Ford would have gone with a lever shift or paddles instead of the silly little up/down arrow. The VW is just more inutuitive, as was my mercedes.

However, I tend to drive in sport mode most of the time.

I spend to much time in stop and go traffic, and will most likely never own a standard again. Getting old and lazy, I guess. And while I am sure the clutch on a focus is fairly light my knees just are not up to it anymore.

With all that said, I have been "focused" on some other issues with the car and have yet to really pay attention to the finer points of actually driving it.
im pretty sure aftermarket "paddle-shift" kits will be available anytime soon for the powershift.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildc3 View Post
im pretty sure aftermarket "paddle-shift" kits will be available anytime soon for the powershift.
Where the heck would they put them? Have you seen the steering wheel on this car?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
The transmission is super smooth most off the time. Its just a matter of learning how to drive it so that it does not shutter. Also, good point about waiting for the car to be broken in enough. I also really enjoy driving in the S mode, the shifting is great!

Last edited by DEREKC; 05-27-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
Where the heck would they put them? Have you seen the steering wheel on this car?
The end cap on the directional lever doesn't have anything on it, so make it a little toggle switch(the right stalk for wipers has the rear wiper control on the end cap).

I agree, there are already a LOT of controls on and around the wheel already. It took me some time to find where the rear wiper control was hidden. Here's a thought, if a manual transmission makes you shift on the gear shift lever, then it makes MORE sense that the SelectShift also be in the same place, though I would prefer the more conventional forward/back push/pull action for these things.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
The end cap on the directional lever doesn't have anything on it, so make it a little toggle switch(the right stalk for wipers has the rear wiper control on the end cap).

I agree, there are already a LOT of controls on and around the wheel already. It took me some time to find where the rear wiper control was hidden. Here's a thought, if a manual transmission makes you shift on the gear shift lever, then it makes MORE sense that the SelectShift also be in the same place, though I would prefer the more conventional forward/back push/pull action for these things.
I'd prefer to see the push / pull action on the shift lever as well as opposed to yet another control option on the end of a stalk. I think they just didn't have the room to incorporate it. I think if I was going to choose between a button on the end of the directional stalk and a button on the side of the shift lever I'd go with the shift lever hands down.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.