Lesser Discount if you Order one? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lesser Discount if you Order one?

Hi all. I'm in the Edmonton area of Alberta Canada and a newbie here. I was all set to buy a Fusion this year until I saw the 2012 Focus and what its about. That changed my way other thinking. Even though Edmonton is blessed with a lot of Ford dealers compared to where I come from (Waterloo, ON), There is still only a handful of 2012 Focus around, and I have been looking a good deal over the past 6 weeks. Also it sure doesn't help that the dealers here seem to cater to the Alberta redneck market and keep the lots at about 80% or more stocked with trucks and SUVs while cars seem placed about as an afterthought.

Long story shorter there are not many to choose from and usually not more than 5 at any dealer at any time. Also I'm interested in the standard transmission and I have only seen 1 so far in all my travels. It was a grey sedan base model. I just really prefer a standard and I figure given they lost their economic advantage to modern automatics and dual clutch models growing in popularity, I figure it may be my last chance to buy a new car with a real manual transmission.

Ford seems to have a lot of great deals going at any given time and I intend to pay cash. My question being; if I have to have a dealer order mine right from the factory, can I expect to pay more and get less of a discount? Or would that just be a tactic some greasy salesman may try?

It would be much easier to get a fusion off the lot just the way I want. There are actually plenty of them around.

On an ending note, I was a little surprised the standard tranny is not a 6-speed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,805, Level 78
Points: 14,805, Level: 78 Points: 14,805, Level: 78 Points: 14,805, Level: 78
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
comparing prices, there's not a whole lot of difference between the fusion and focus as far as cost once you figure in the rebate on the fusion.
I drove a 4 cyl fusion for 400 miles, even they are pretty peppy and still get 33mpg and have alot more room.
I had 3 foci before recently purchasing a fusion sport for the room, ride, and overall comfort. If you do alot of travelling this would be the way to go (I do a 5000 mile road trip 1-2 times a year and a few shorter ones (1k-2k). just stay away from the fusion s, they are ok for noise but not great. more insulation is added on the se and up models (same with the focus).
I was looking at a focus titanium, but price beat it out hands down when I was able to get the fusion for over 1000$ less (there were no rebates on the titanium).
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

I know there isn't a hell of a lot of price difference. I prefer the Focus for its sportier look and better fuel economy. I test drove a Fusion S with the 6-speed and it seemed very nice. I have yet to test the new Focus due to lack of free time and unavailability of manual transmission models. My woman thinks the Fusion is ugly. As well as the Focus hatch back and thinks all hatch back cars look cheap and poor. I can understand where that comes from but I try to think more European about it. I could go either way between sedan or hatchback, but its looking like its going to be sedan.

I have to say sound dampening and a pile of bells and whistles aren't that important to me and I'm sure the S model is dampened well beyond what I'm used to. You see my 2004 Sunfire which I bought new is crude as can be and most cars out there now seem like luxury by comparison. I'm not kidding, even in its last days GM's J-body cars are much more reminiscent of something cheap from 1992 rather than the mid 00's. The only thing modern about them was the Ecotec engine, fairly new at time. They're noisy, everything squeaks and rattles, the shifting is rough and often jams up, the sound system really sucks unless you got top of the line, engine randomly dies at idle sometimes, electrical gremlins.... and this was all when it was brand new. GM, what are ya gonna do. At least reliability hasn't been too bad after 250,000km (155,000mi)

My point being now a nice Focus even at the base level comes with almost everything I want and is a huge step up. Power windows, air conditioning, quietness great fit and finish... hell what more does a man need?

All the optional computer gizmos and such seem extravagant and unnecessary far beyond my realm. And I'm 25 years old. Wipers that turn on by themselves? Really? Is it that difficult to turn a switch?

I would go for the SE if the discount makes it worth while. Aluminum wheels would be nice but then I'm not sure how much sense they make while living in a place where winter can last for 8 months.
Well I've wondered off topic.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85804
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 lrbr30022 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Ford seems to have a lot of great deals going at any given time and I intend to pay cash. My question being; if I have to have a dealer order mine right from the factory, can I expect to pay more and get less of a discount? Or would that just be a tactic some greasy salesman may try?
I am not in Canada, but I can tell you in the US these cars are flying off the lots, so I don't think very many dealers have many in stock - I would say having 5 in stock is actually pretty impressive.

I ordered my Titanium because I knew exactly what color/options I wanted. I had done some research and it indicated you can often get a BETTER price when ordering. Whether I got a better price or not, I do not know. But I did get invoice price.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Many incentives that get offered are based on "current dealer inventory", meaning they are put in place to help the dealers sell the cars that were previously ordered. "Must take from dealer stock before...." is the normal requirement for most incentives that we see here in the USA.

It makes sense when most managers have no common sense, such as ordering a Focus SEL with the MyFord Touch & Sony package, which brings the price VERY close to the Titanium that already includes those features. So, Ford has to help these people work around their poor judgement when it comes to ordering cars.

In addition to this, the 2012 Focus is so new, there are virtually no incentives being offered on them right now, so you have to balance that into things. If you can wait six months, that may change, but if you have to buy right now, you will see some nice incentives on the Fusion compared to the Focus. Just make sure you NEVER buy a S-trim since it will have many of the "standard" features missing. The 4-door Focus-S for example doesn't even have power windows in back. The sheet I am looking at on the 2012 Focus-S sedan includes: Power front windows with driver one-touch down. The Focus SE has the power front and rear windows with driver one-touch down. Focus-S also comes with 15 inch wheels, while the SE comes with 16 inch steel wheels(with caps).

The Fusion will be the same way, a S-trim is often thought of as a "fleet" vehicle for places like car rental companies, with the SE being the lower tier for most consumers.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79303
What I Drive: 2013 Blue ST3

Points 906, Level 16
Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16 Points: 906, Level: 16
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 JCH841 Good Standing Member
A rebate or a coupon on anything cars to disposbale diapers, lowers the MRSP to the lowest cost the manufacturer can tolerate and stay in business. They hope people won't bother to clip the coupon or file the rebate or find the car they want in stock with the rebate, but they got you on the lot. In other words, they're a cheap way to tempoararily adjust the price downward to address slow sales or an overstock condition without permanantly dropping the price.

Last edited by JCH841; 05-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you for the insight. I was at a couple dealers again yesterday and a salesman told me I could get $3500 back on an SE model and only $500 on an S . Never the less that pretty well set my interest on the SE in stone. That was further reinforced when I had a seat in one and seen the difference. It doesn't sound like much on paper but the SE did have a lot of things I actually liked. Another salesman explained in a way that I can potentially save more by ordering from the factory with the options I want. He didn't explain it very well but it sounds good to me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.