Newb lookin to buy a focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85797
What I Drive: 1998 Cayenne Pepper Red Cherokee

FF Reputation: 1 Walkeraviator Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Newb lookin to buy a focus

Hey guys, I am looking for advice on buying a Focus. First I want to start by telling you guys that I drive 25+ miles to work one way every day. At present I am driving a 98 Jeep Cherokee that gets about 17 MPG on a good day driving 95% on the interstate. I started looking at selling my Jeep to get a car that gets 30mpg+ on the interstate (and has four doors for the kiddo), but dont want a car payment. This means I will have $5000 or less to spend. This leaves me with cars over 200k miles or crappy hyundais and neons. But recently came across a couple of cars I like. The first is a silver2000 ZTS sedan with a manual tranny and 138,000 miles for $3950. I also found a blue 2001 SE sedan with a manual tranny and 144,000 miles for $3995.

My questions involve fuel economy and dependability. First, will a Focus really get 30+ mpg on the interstate? Secondly, am i risking a lot buying one with that many miles? I know for a fact my Jeep with 172,000 miles still has at least 2 good years left in it. That 4.0 straight six will go 200k without breaking a sweat. Will a focus last till 200k?

When looking at these cars, are there any specific things I should look for? Do they tend to rust anywhere specific? Do interior panels wear out anywhere? Any electrical issues to check for? Timing Belt issues?

Im really ready to stop forking over $300/month in gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
If you can bump up your budget just a bit, I think you can do better....
Trading in what you know (the Jeep) for what you don't know could be risky if you're looking at a high-mile vehicle.

'04 ZX3, 87k
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

'02 ZTS sedan, 94k

'05 ZX4 sedan, 96k

I would stay away from the '00 and '01 models.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Well that pretty much answers that. I have no credit to get a car loan even if i wanted a car payment (which I dont). I am already paycheck to paycheck, and I will be lucky to get $4k out of my jeep. So upping my budget is a no-go for sure. I guess I will just continue to fund big oil.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
love my red focus

Fan#: 54938
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX4 SES w/SAP

Points 1,324, Level 20
Points: 1,324, Level: 20 Points: 1,324, Level: 20 Points: 1,324, Level: 20
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 lightning2nd Good Standing Member
welcome to the site
member of Focus Nation / Sedan Revolution#105 / Sap Crew#23 / Team Duratec#189 / Midwest Crew#31
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

Points 3,392, Level 36
Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool just food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
Hey guys, I am looking for advice on buying a Focus. First I want to start by telling you guys that I drive 25+ miles to work one way every day. At present I am driving a 98 Jeep Cherokee that gets about 17 MPG on a good day driving 95% on the interstate. I started looking at selling my Jeep to get a car that gets 30mpg+ on the interstate (and has four doors for the kiddo), but dont want a car payment. This means I will have $5000 or less to spend. This leaves me with cars over 200k miles or crappy hyundais and neons. But recently came across a couple of cars I like. The first is a silver2000 ZTS sedan with a manual tranny and 138,000 miles for $3950. I also found a blue 2001 SE sedan with a manual tranny and 144,000 miles for $3995.

My questions involve fuel economy and dependability.
First, will a Focus really get 30+ mpg on the interstate? Secondly, am i risking a lot buying one with that many miles? I know for a fact my Jeep with 172,000 miles still has at least 2 good years left in it. That 4.0 straight six will go 200k without breaking a sweat. Will a focus last till 200k?

When looking at these cars, are there any specific things I should look for? Do they tend to rust anywhere specific? Do interior panels wear out anywhere? Any electrical issues to check for? Timing Belt issues?

Im really ready to stop forking over $300/month in gas.
Yes a focus can get over 30MPG but depends a lot on your driving and the condition of the car and engine.

Personally I would stay away from 2000-2001 I have heard these cars some might have issues they were first gen.

Picture this just for kicks.

2011 Ford Focus SE
201A
Appearance package
Invoice $18400
-2000 rebate
-$5000 down
a good rate of 4.9% 6 year term
$183 a month

vs

$4000 used ford focus with over 140k miles
risking a old car being a money pit or needing a new engine
lets say the car last 2 years and you spend $400 in repairs $4400 total divided by 24 months equals $183.33 plus your without a car again or you continue to repair and deal with the headache of a old car

now remember you can actually find a ford focus 2011 new for less the SE with those packages is pretty well equipped there are other SE less equipped for a savings of about $300 or going with a base S model and manual you could be at a potential $150 a month with $5000 down a $2000 rebate and 4.9% over 6 years
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #6

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
There aren't too many 2011's left for sale, so hurry if interested.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

I guess you guys missed the part where I dont want a car payment? I havent had acar payment in over 10 years, and now isnt the time to start with my pay about to get cut, and I am already paycheck to paycheck... I want to go to a focus to save money on gas... what good would that do if my car payment was more than teh money i save on gas....

besides that, i dont have the credit to buy a pack of gum...
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
low n slow

Fan#: 75938
What I Drive: 96 paseo 97 contour zetec mtx 75

FF Reputation: 7 jmcrides03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
honestly i would keep looking a little bit more. anything with that high of miles i would make sure it was a zetec, not a spi, unless you want to either change valve seats or take a risk of dropping them. focus WILL get over 30 mpg as long as you drive it easy and its got a good tune-up.
louisvillle craigslist has alot better deals than what youve found. 03 svt $2200 i thikn if ya keep looking youll find exactly the car ya want at a price ya can afford http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/2384697487.html
sedan revolution #83 Team Focus Cleveland #14
96 toyota paseo 97 contour zetec mtx turbo build in progress
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Banned

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 10,722, Level 68
Points: 10,722, Level: 68 Points: 10,722, Level: 68 Points: 10,722, Level: 68
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
focus is a great car i owned 3 already very dependable also my mom and mother in law own one think you could find one for that money with less miles check craigslist.org good luck
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38135
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 TLFerrill Good Standing Member
what they are saying here is that will the engine will run forever, many of the things attatched to it will fail. A high mileage focus is not a bad thing, but it needs to have been properly maintained. Find out as much as you can about the car first, its history is very important. Is rust an issue in KY? Do you have basic mechanical knowledge to maintain your focus yourself? You basically would need to decide if some basic work now and then would be worth it for the huge fuel savings.

I drive an 01 ZX3 and that engine has been perfect, however I have replaced many failed parts such as themostat housing, cv joints, tie rod ends as well as anually performing rust repair after a winter of road salt. I have also replaced many parts that had been normally worn and added some performance parts, but all this still costs less than my former car payment.

On a side note, if you could find out if a smaller part of the price of the car could be financed with the majority being a down-payment from your jeep, this would be a great way to start improving your credit. Banks are much more willing to lend if you are paying for more than half of the vehicle up front as it reduces thier risk.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.