2013 Malibu: A Contender, Finally? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,477, Level 36
Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2013 Malibu: A Contender, Finally?

GM's been pretty skimpy with details about the next generation Malibu, but they've recently released another teaser picture of the next generation's center console.

I like the looks of it, but functionality is another story. I assume it would work much like Ford's MyTouch, but I haven't tried that yet.

Obviously this isn't the competition for the Focus, but the Fusion/Mondeo. Hopefully GM is going to step their game up more than they did with the Cruze so they'll be ACTUAL competition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile Dont be so quick to throw the cruze under the bus. Granted its not best in class but its not entirely bad either. Its still a decent car AND we must remeber its 40mpg claim was first in the segment and pushed everyone else to try and match it, come close, or beat it entirely. Back to the Malibu, I personally thought when current generation came out it was a great car. Fit and finish was worlds better then most of GMs other products, it looked great, its interior was very nice and the wrap around dash got an A+. But yes. Ow its a little dated and could use an update, but to be honest its already ahead of some of the competition...from some imports that shall not be named.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Personally I give the Cruze a second look when one drives by. Especially the upper models with the alloy wheels, etc. They look damn good for their price point. Can't wait until there is an SS or performance version out there roaming around...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Not a fan of the center stack at all. Same with the Cruze. I just don't like it when manufacturers do the McDonalds arch curvature in that area. The tail lights definitely look nice though. The only GMC/Chevy concepts I'm psyched about is the Sonic sedan and the Granite concept.

The Fusion is pretty nice, but the "chrome eyebrows" above the headlights still bother me. I liked the first gen Fusion much better. Although I hear they're going to give it a facelift soon? Hopefully it'll take design cues from the new Taurus and Focus, which both look gorgeous.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

Points 1,521, Level 22
Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
Why do I think I'm still putting money on the next-gen Mondeo/Fusion over this one (Next-Gen Malibu)?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
By 2013 GM could be bankrupt again!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
Not a fan of the center stack at all. Same with the Cruze. I just don't like it when manufacturers do the McDonalds arch curvature in that area. The tail lights definitely look nice though. The only GMC/Chevy concepts I'm psyched about is the Sonic sedan and the Granite concept.

The Fusion is pretty nice, but the "chrome eyebrows" above the headlights still bother me. I liked the first gen Fusion much better. Although I hear they're going to give it a facelift soon? Hopefully it'll take design cues from the new Taurus and Focus, which both look gorgeous.

Posted via FF Mobile This is the facelift for the fusion. The next one is a total redesign so itll be the next generation. It goes global along with the mondeo.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83174
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RedsGT Good Standing Member
I can't buy a car model that I always have to add "Barbie" on to in my head.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,477, Level 36
Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Personally I give the Cruze a second look when one drives by. Especially the upper models with the alloy wheels, etc. They look damn good for their price point. Can't wait until there is an SS or performance version out there roaming around...
I give them a second look at well, but usually because I mistake them for a new Buick at a distance. Then I see them up close...I stare for a little while, because I'm just not finding the external appeal. Take into account, though, that I'm a fan of the old Cobalt, so my perception of style might not be the norm. Many criticized the Cobalt for looking understated, but I prefer cars like that (e.g. the first gen Mazda6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantest View Post
Why do I think I'm still putting money on the next-gen Mondeo/Fusion over this one (Next-Gen Malibu)?
I am too, for the moment, because we know a lot more about the Mondeo. At least we know that's a world car, so we can have a reasonable idea of what to expect by looking at the EU version. I agree that the Mondeo will probably be a stronger seller at the moment, but I also don't think my opinion will change after seeing more of the Malibu. Not unless Chevrolet steps up with marketing the new Malibu like they've done with the Cruze. The advertising for the two previous generations was underwhelming to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
By 2013 GM could be bankrupt again!!
By 2013 the world could end, too. Stick to the topic at hand, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsGT View Post
I can't buy a car model that I always have to add "Barbie" on to in my head.
To be fair, Malibu Barbie wasn't produced until the 70s, almost a decade after the GM car. But I get what you're going for - name association has played a part in automotive sales before. Just look at the disaster of the Nova in Latin America...though I personally wouldn't mind GM giving its midsize offering a name other than "Malibu." Nova would be fine with me, since the other one that I think of offhand, Chevelle, would cause internet riots from old-school purists. It wouldn't matter much to me if they decided to "reinvent" the brand that way, but it would kind of undermine the whole "Chevy Runs Deep" spiel, citing history and long-standing monikers like Malibu and Impala.

That's not to say I disapprove of their new naming trend, however; in today's markets, what seems to work well are powerful, catchy names. Though that's unsurprising, since it's basic marketing strategy...just look at the 60s for proof (Mustang, Thunderbird, etc.). Cruze. Sonic. Spark. Good names, even though the Sonic is just a facelifted Aveo. The Spark is another engaging nameplate, though my personal jury is still out in the styling department. I'd have to sit in one.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Here ya go...

Not too bad. Still wouldn't own one (personal preference) but I gotta hand it to GM, they're definitely improving on their designs. I see a few hints of Taurus mixed in there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.