So I decided to test drive 2011 GTI and Golf today - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So I decided to test drive 2011 GTI and Golf today

Why? I dunno was thinking something faster and more fun than my '09 Focus SE.

Well I was kinda underwhelmed. First drove the Golf 2.5 5spd manual....they didn't have an auto. Definitely quicker than my car but not much low end..needs to be revved. Interior was dark and sort of....blah. At least my Focus has a leather wrapped steering wheel... I think I would have like the auto better. It's a pretty good car for the $$. The seats were comfortable but the fabric looked el cheapo and not long lasting.

Then the GTI...automatic DSG. As long as you do the auto shifting it's pretty quick. Otherwise not really. Handles great but it really needs more engine I think..200hp don't cut it especially for the price. I'm not a big fan of turbos either...it feels artificial. Plus it requires premium fuel which is lame considering it's like $4.30 + out here.

After all was said and done...I missed my Focus. It felt smaller/lighter than both VW's and the performance just does not feel that subpar to the Golf. I happily drove away in my Focus......I don't what it is about my Focus but it just drives nice and has some charm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 24,026, Level 94
Points: 24,026, Level: 94 Points: 24,026, Level: 94 Points: 24,026, Level: 94
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I dunno what it is either man.... Driving a different car now (much faster yes) and I know its an 02 but man I miss the focus.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79288
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 mbell75 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First off, pretty much any turbo is going to require premium fuel. Second, test drives are lame. When you get a GTI for a REAL drive where you can put your foot in it without some sales person riding with you, you will find that out. Turbo lag aside, they are considerably faster than your Focus. Was faster than mine too before I went turbo. I love the GTI for several reasons but one being Volkswagen is the only major brand (excluding Volvo) to still even offer a 3 door hatch. Unless Ford comes out with a 3 door ST, the GTI will be my next new car.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
First off, pretty much any turbo is going to require premium fuel. Second, test drives are lame. When you get a GTI for a REAL drive where you can put your foot in it without some sales person riding with you, you will find that out. Turbo lag aside, they are considerably faster than your Focus. Was faster than mine too before I went turbo. I love the GTI for several reasons but one being Volkswagen is the only major brand (excluding Volvo) to still even offer a 3 door hatch. Unless Ford comes out with a 3 door ST, the GTI will be my next new car.

I regret not financing a MkV GTI for 72 months, 0% APR. But I know I'd still be paying it off right now if I did (not to mention having higher insurance). But the Rabbit/Golf is no slouch either. It still takes top spot in offering the most horsepower/torque in its class, for naturally aspirated engines.

I'm not sure why the OP feels that there isn't a whole lot of low-end power. The engine offers more torque than horsepower. Power delivery is incredibly linear and doesn't require you to strangle the engine with high revs (like the Civic Si). However one thing I noticed with VW's is that they're so refined they feel slower than they are. And maybe some of the fun is lost in that.

For the Rabbit/Golf, 70 mph makes the engine run at a steady 2300 rpm. It's boring. I seriously feel like I'm only doing 50. It's just so incredibly stable and quiet. You don't realize how fast you're going until you roll your windows down, and THEN it gets fun. But in the winter time you're forced to drive around in a cozy, quiet interior with the slight hum of the engine.

Sometimes I do miss my old Focus for that reason. It wasn't fast, but it felt more exciting when I really pushed it. Coupled with a MagnaFlow exhaust and SVT suspension... holy hell was it fun. I definitely wish I could've kept both cars, but as always money is an issue.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I can still remember my best friends VW Passat. I was impressed at first sight, before I was given a ride in it. Yes, great it has ok leather seats, but the ride was horrible! I thought that the ride would be much better in a car that costs 40k.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
First off, pretty much any turbo is going to require premium fuel. Second, test drives are lame. When you get a GTI for a REAL drive where you can put your foot in it without some sales person riding with you, you will find that out. Turbo lag aside, they are considerably faster than your Focus..
This is true and the GTI did feel considerably faster anyway. I just didn't care much for the way the turbo delivers the power. I liked the naturally aspirated feel of the Golf more even if it was slower. Maybe the Golf's engine was just green just felt like it didn't have much low end in manual off the line until the revs went up.

I'd be getting an auto anyway if I went Golf b/c of commuting/traffic and I'm sure it would have felt torquey with the auto....but they didn't have one unfortunately at this dealer.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Let me start off by saying, I love VW's, but the New GTi or for that matter any GTi post 1992, is not a GTi in my eyes. I've had two. A 92 16v and a 85 8v. The GTi was a light weight, nimble, fun to drive hot hatch, but now that's gone. The MKIII Gti was the beginning of the end. The 16v gave way to the Vr6 making the car nose heavy and not as agile. Yes it had more power, but not enough to make up for the handling you were giving up. It took away that light rip through some twisties GTi feel the MKI and MKII had. The MK IV took it a step farther. WooHoo a 1.8T no more nose heavy Vr6 (though still an option), but the car was just about 60 pounds under 3000(Vr6 pushed you over 3k). The MKI weight in at 1745lbs and an MK II came in at just under 2300lbs. now we come to the current models, faster, yes, but a light weight nimble hot hatch, not at all. At 3034lbs, it's the heaviest Gti ever. It weighs almost twice as much as the original. I guess what I'm saying is, they are no longer a cheap, fun to drive hot hatch which is what made them so popular. I know a lot of car's have evolved over time, but for the most part cars like the Mustang or Corvette have stayed true to what they are and the GTi didn't.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.