Ford Focus in new Car & Driver - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84128
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Focus in new Car & Driver

I have attached a pic showing the comparison between the Focus and a few other models. Interesting numbers, especially regarding the dba levels at the bottom.
I've read from quite a few how quite the Focus is in comparison to the other cars in class.

I was also suprised to see the Focus win the Fuel economy test.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 37,244, Level 100
Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice post. Thanks for the photo.

Good to see the Focus is in the upper 3 across the board of this battle.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 37,244, Level 100
Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Reading over it, I am surprised with the TQ and HP of the VW, that it was still slower in the 0-60.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83191
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gobird Good Standing Member
I believe the Titanium has more sound deadening built into it. It has an engine cover that no other models have for one thing.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72867
What I Drive: 2011 Elantra GLS - 6 speed auto

FF Reputation: 1 cdavidhess Good Standing Member
I think it interesting that the Elantra was better than the Focus in roadholding and lane change.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Sorry, I should have read the whole thing and posted everything. Here is the final results. They raved about the Focus (as every one has), and said it was the best car. They didn't like the automatic transmission, and even recommended purchasing the standard (sorry to you US guys, as you can't get SEL with manual tranny). They also hated the MyFord Touch as they felt it was slow and complicated. I am really hoping that the future software upgrades speed it up a lot (I have heard that the hardware is fast, but the software is what slows it down considerably).

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

Points 15,532, Level 80
Points: 15,532, Level: 80 Points: 15,532, Level: 80 Points: 15,532, Level: 80
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks for posting that. It is good to see that the focus will be very competitive in their segment.
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavidhess View Post
I think it interesting that the Elantra was better than the Focus in roadholding and lane change.
I wouldn't say that 0.01g is a big win. They even talked about it in the article how close ALL the cars were at this, and there is really no difference.

I'm not even sure exactly what the lane change is, so I won't comment. But I am pretty sure it means mostly nothing.

Thought they did talk in the article about how the Elantra was a much better car than previous, and thought the interior was eye catching and only second to the Focus.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
Reading over it, I am surprised with the TQ and HP of the VW, that it was still slower in the 0-60.

-Ray-
Jettas have always been pigs. The new ones are a little lighter than the previous gen (thanks to torsion beam rear suspension), but they're still considerably hefty. Another limiting factor in the Jetta is the fact that it has a traditional automatic. That torque converter is going to sap power away and make actual wheel horsepower less.

The Focus's PowerShift transmission eliminates the torque converter and puts more power at the wheels. The same rule applies to the old Focus versus the 2011 Fiesta. The Fiesta has much less horsepower and weighs around the same as the old Focus, but yet it has a quicker 0-60 time thanks to PowerShift.

This is why dual clutch transmissions are a pretty big deal. They level (sometimes exceed) the playing field with traditional manuals. CVT transmissions also offer some distortion with horsepower/torque comparisons. It's pretty much pointless to associated raw figures with performance anymore.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83862
What I Drive: Vw 1.8T GTI F4H-T

FF Reputation: 1 Elliott18t Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post

-Ray-
its called gear ratios and weight..

as far as im concerned all these cars are more or less the same.

as usual... first gear is short as hell, almost pointless then just goes to a much longer gear ratio 2nd gear and on. It is also second heaviest to the chevy, but has longer gears than the chevy resulting in the slowness but ranks high in the top speed similar to the chevy.

buuuuuttttas a VW owner the interior is important to me, and since the rest look like a sea of crap grey inside.... VW wins. (yes i've been in all of these cars)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.