new to focuses - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84272
What I Drive: nothing yet

FF Reputation: 1 rekanize14 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
new to focuses

im lookin at buying a 2004 focus with 108k miles great shape besides the tune up and oil change what other parts should i get and what should have been done to the car at 100k does it need a timing belt and water pump?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82065
What I Drive: 2006 Silver MAZDASPEED 6

FF Reputation: 1 tonythetiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekanize14 View Post
what other parts should i get and what should have been done to the car?
There's a lot of posts about first upgrades, use the search bar on the main page, it'll be your best friend.

What are the specs on the car? (Engine, body style, etc.)

Personally I recommend for starters:

A CAI or SRI, depending on your preference.
SVT Headers and/or aftermarket exhaust system.

Those are the very basic bolt-on upgrades, but do make a difference in performance. That should get you started.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

i didnt mean upgrade the car i meant to do maintenance since i had just bought the car what all needs to be done to a focus at 100k and when are the timing belt intervals and its a 2004 zx3 how often should the water pump and oil pump be done?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82065
What I Drive: 2006 Silver MAZDASPEED 6

FF Reputation: 1 tonythetiger Good Standing Member
Oil pumps usually don't go out on a regular basis. They aren't typically considered 'maintainence'. Same with a water pump. My Focus has 155k and I've never had to replace either one. Just keep clean oil and coolant in the system.

Typically you'd change a timing belt only if it broke or jumped timing. Although timing belts are critical, I'd imagine you'd go through a serpentine belt before a timing.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83295
What I Drive: 2004 IBM GTO 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 NYGTO Good Standing Member
Well I'm pretty sure the timing belt is supposed to be done at around 100k miles. I've been looking at zx3's myself and the engine/timing belt is non-interference meaning it won't smurf your engine if it lets go. As far as water pumps go, I've only really dealt with them when I noticed leaking from the weep hole. Honestly if the car doesn't have any records of service, I would start with the usual-plugs,wires,motor and tranny fluid,flush the radiator amd go over the whole engine bay lookling for leaks of any kind.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

now my other question is my friend isnt very car savvy and im buying the car from him he thinks its the 2.3l not the 2.0 what are my chances i havent been able to get over to the car to check for myself yet and also the 2.3l on autozone parts shows a timing chain is that true is it a timing chain instead of belt? and autozone actually doesnt even list an oil pump for the 2.3 whats up with that?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.