Detroit 2011: Ford Vertrek Concept previews future global small crossover - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Detroit 2011: Ford Vertrek Concept previews future global small crossover

It may look like the strange lovechild of the 2012 Ford Focus and the European-spec Kuga crossover, but the Blue Oval's new Vertrek crossover concept is indeed a visual upgrade compared to current small CUV offerings. The Vertrek, which makes its world debut here at the Detroit Auto Show, previews what's in store for Ford's new global small crossover, set to replace both the Escape here in North America as well as the Kuga abroad.

Powering the Vertrek is Ford's new 1.6-liter EcoBoost inline four-cylinder engine, and the addition of Auto Start-Stop technology means it will be even more efficient. Ford has said that Auto Start-Stop will quickly spread across the brand's product portfolio, and since 90 percent of Blue Oval-badged vehicles will have an EcoBoost option by 2013, fuel efficiency is expected to rise quite dramatically across the automaker's entire lineup. What's more, Ford will be incorporating regenerative braking into its gasoline-powered vehicles, and this system works with the Vertrek's turbocharged engine and start-stop system to boost fuel economy even higher.

The Vertrek also builds upon Ford's Kinetic design language, first seen on the Fiesta hatchback and then carried over to the new Focus sedan and five-door. Sure, the large wheels, small headlamps and futuristic mirrors are purely conceptual design, but Photoshop on some bits from the Focus (with which the Vertrek shares its platform) and a possible production car is indeed in sight. The interior, too, is wholly forward thinking, and while we'd love to see this sort of design on a road-ready crossover, we fully expect a much more toned-down approach.

Click through the galleries of official high-res shots as well as our live shots from the show floor, and follow the jump for Ford's official press release.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Bunneh Fanatic

I'm normally not a fan of crossovers. In fact I think the Tiguan is the only crossover which is passable in the looks department. Looks like Ford is stepping it up and offering some nice competition!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
its been rumored that the next gen escape will be a refreshed version of the euro ford kuga. this concept looks just like a refreshed ford kuga with concept-style design elements like the interior and the headlamps.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,527, Level 42
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Now that's a good looking crossover.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I was starting to think the Focus was gonna be the new crossover, lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,551, Level 99
Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We might see the suicide doors, but we certainly won't see the frameless windows.

It's nice looking, but... um.... useful? I drive the wagon around in what most people would consider "off road" conditions. I drove a Buick Century to a remote camp site once. There was a guy there already in a Nissan 4x4. He just stared at us while he was packing up.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Bunneh Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
We might see the suicide doors, but we certainly won't see the frameless windows.

It's nice looking, but... um.... useful? I drive the wagon around in what most people would consider "off road" conditions. I drove a Buick Century to a remote camp site once. There was a guy there already in a Nissan 4x4. He just stared at us while he was packing up.
Heeeyyy nothin' wrong with frameless windows. I happen to like 'em and think they look sporty. Although I can understand the argument against 'em too.

And I agree with your argument about the usefulness of a CUV/SUV. For the most part they're a waste of space and a huge hazard on the road. I see people driving them ALONE to work all the time. Very few people actually legitimately use all that space.

It's sad to see station wagons disappear. they're much more practical and definitely a lot more fun in handling. But whatever... it's hard to argue against all the stubborn idiots that insist on owning a CUV/SUV in their place. Good to see they're at least offering a wagon option for the 2012 Focus.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Can't wait for this Kuga/Escape. Kinda hope it retains or at least has a trim level devoted to off roading. The escape wasn't a rock and mountain destroyer, but it was marketed as a vehicle you could "escape" with. So hopefully they shove in their some torquey ecoboost engines as well as an awd setup with terrain management like in the Explorer. We could only hope.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.