Has anybody tried out the MyFord Touch system? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

Points 1,482, Level 21
Points: 1,482, Level: 21 Points: 1,482, Level: 21 Points: 1,482, Level: 21
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Has anybody tried out the MyFord Touch system?

Just curious if anybody of you has tried out the said system. It seems Consumer Reports and other online tech magazines have state their displeasure with the system. (slow...not that responsive as hyped..etc)

Any feedback would be welcome. After all if some of us here are going to purchase a 2012 Ford Focus equipped with the MyFord Touch, we need to know if that system is worth the purchase.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Points 17,207, Level 83
Points: 17,207, Level: 83 Points: 17,207, Level: 83 Points: 17,207, Level: 83
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
yes. i work for a Ford Dealership.

There are some bugs currently with MyTouch
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
With CR taking the Edge and one other off of the recommended list, I would like to see Ford switch back to some conventional buttons and knobs for My Touch controls.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #4

Points 17,207, Level 83
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
yes. i work for a Ford Dealership.

There are some bugs currently with MyTouch
here is what Ford says:

Some 2011 Edge and MKX vehicles may experience various concerns with MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch Systems that include the following areas: Traffic, Direction and Information (TDI) calling wrong phone number, Travel Link subscription, voice recognition, phone pairing, address book downloads, intermittent touch screen inoperable conditions, SD card fault, screen reboots, performing system maintenance, navigation set in kilometers/voice communicates in miles, and reverse camera scrolling display. To correct these conditions the APIM will need to be reprogrammed.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

It's recommended to fully read the Service Procedure prior to performing the reprogramming.

Failure to follow the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) - Standard programming steps may result in programming issues.

To perform the reprogram procedure it will be necessary to follow the online version of the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00, APIM Programming - Standard selection.
Do not use the Custom selection.
This is a complete software update. Integrated diagnostic system (IDS) release 70.01 or higher is required.
During programming the operation should not be interrupted.
If the programming operation is interrupted and/or an error is encountered, ensure IDS is at the latest level.
Close the Internet Explorer (IE) browser and relaunch Professional Technician Society (PTS) from a new IE browser and retry the APIM-Standard programming selection
Verify all vehicle equipped functions are operational such as Navigation, TDI and Travel Link after reprogramming module.
Before attempting to perform the reprogram procedure, there are several items required in conjunction with the scan tool.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable and USB adapter called out in the WSM, Section 415-00 /or equivalent Type A Male to mini type B 5 pin female USB cable.
USB flash drive with minimum storage size of 1 gigabyte (GB). USB drives should be basic drives with no file organizing software or smart functions.
Minimum of 3 GB of free disk space on the scan tool.
The scan tool web browser settings may need to be configured if IE has recently been updated or the scan tool has not previously been configured for SYNC programming. Refer to Software Programming V 1.1 on the Professional Technician Society (PTS) web site under Service Tip tab.
Hard wired internet connection is strongly recommended when programming to prevent interference concerns during the reprogram process.
A battery power supply/charger Rotunda 162-00043 or equivalent is required during the first portion of programming and will be removed when the scan tool prompts to start the engine.
When connecting the charger the positive lead is connected to battery positive and the negative battery charger lead should be connected to the chassis ground post located next to the battery.
Connecting the charger in this manner is required to allow the scan tool and vehicle modules recognition of battery voltage during programming.
If battery voltage is not sufficient during programming, the process will fail and ask you to retry. A battery icon is displayed in the lower right hand corner of the scan tool during programming. If the battery icon is red or neutral, it is indicating the vehicle battery is in a low voltage condition.
Applications are automatically selected by the scan tool and are indicated by grayed out selections. No additional selections are required.
Scan tools that have never been used to program SYNC may encounter a Hardware Wizard pop up requesting a WMA SBOOT driver installation. If the request is encountered install the driver and then click the scan tool retry button to continue programming.
The SBOOT driver is required for Scan tool to APIM communication through the USB cable.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
i have tested a new edge with this technology and i hate it as well. to me touch sensitive anything is wrong in a moving vehicle. not only that but the controls are weird in that sometimes they are overly sensitive... so much so that your touch activates nearby touch sensors and disturbs other functions. then the next time you go to press the same sensor, it takes 3 or 4 taps to get it to activate! yeah, you can control some of these functions with your voice but sometimes it would be easier just to have a button. i agree with CR except on the part where they said the system was hard to figure out... i actually found the setup of the menus and layout of sensors intuitive and very easy to navigate. i had it down within 15 minutes thanks to the dual lcd screens and the main screen that has the 4 sections for different functions.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Points 17,207, Level 83
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhereftm View Post
i have tested a new edge with this technology and i hate it as well. To me touch sensitive anything is wrong in a moving vehicle. Not only that but the controls are weird in that sometimes they are overly sensitive... So much so that your touch activates nearby touch sensors and disturbs other functions. Then the next time you go to press the same sensor, it takes 3 or 4 taps to get it to activate! Yeah, you can control some of these functions with your voice but sometimes it would be easier just to have a button. I agree with cr except on the part where they said the system was hard to figure out... I actually found the setup of the menus and layout of sensors intuitive and very easy to navigate. I had it down within 15 minutes thanks to the dual lcd screens and the main screen that has the 4 sections for different functions.
you dont even have to touch it. Just get close enough and itll start doing things .lol.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
Quote:
you dont even have to touch it. Just get close enough and itll start doing things .lol.
thats true too. i think autoblog reviewed it and said that when they went to use the navigation screen if their hand was too low on the screen they would activate the hazard lamps... this happened to me each time i went to select one of the functions on the lower portion of the screen.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
That's what she said. BAZINGA!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

Points 17,207, Level 83
Level Up 72% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Wow.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76322
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 kkreit01 Good Standing Member
I've read of lots of issues on the Edge Forum (browsing b4 a test drive).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.