SVT ridiculous design... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 80158
What I Drive: 2004 Ebony SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TexSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT ridiculous design...

Ok, I'll be honest. I used to be a strictly import kind of girl, and sort of still am, but I recently purchased a 2004 SVT. I liked the idea of a quick hatch and I really fell in love with it when I first went to see it/ drove it.

That being said, I've been on the borderline of regretting this purchase ever since I drove it home. The motor and transmission are solid as a rock, but it's just the little things that continuously need repairing that are starting to eat at my patience.

When I bought the car the following was wrong with it:

1. Check engine light (p1518 code)
3. Small coolant leak
4. Power steering pump was obnoxiously loud
5. Alignment is off

Since then, the coolant leak grew into a coolant flood which left me stranded on the side of the road. Turns out it was the block heater bolt come lose from the block. We had to remove the intake manifold just to get to it.

So since we fixed the coolant leak and the power steering noise, we attempted to fix a new oil leak to no avail. We spent the whole day with my car on the lift JUST trying to remove and replace the RTV on the lower oil pan gasket. I suppose what I'm irritated with is the fact that we had to remove part of the exhaust just to get to the oil pan...but to get the exhaust off we had to remove the 02 censor...which was not an easy task. We finally got it off though and replaced the RTV only to find that the top gasket was leaking oil as well. In short, it took us all day to do something that should have taken us an hour, tops.

Upon further inspection of the car, I also noticed the heat shields are completely useless...I mean they're all crunchy and cracked...We actually removed the section of heat shield above the mid-pipe simply because it was rattling and not doing much from what we could tell.

I love driving my SVT but because of the loss of low end power due to my actuator, I'm sure it's not nearly as fun as it's capable of being. I suppose my point is I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's just one thing after another that keeps going wrong and I don't foresee this car being a reliable DD.

I don't want to give up on her yet but I'm getting close to that point. Any encouragement/ advice is appreciated!

<3 Cory

2004 Black SVT, stock as can be. :)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

Points 8,860, Level 63
Points: 8,860, Level: 63 Points: 8,860, Level: 63 Points: 8,860, Level: 63
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
thats about the normal little problems that these cars have. the svt is my first car and i had to go over all that plus other things but since i have no point of comparison to other car, i cant say the repairs are too constant, hard, or expensive.

there is this how to repair that actuator (try this before buying a new one since its like 150 iirc)
HOW TO: IMRC Removal and Repair

alignment is about normal.. im used to it, just constantly check that your tires are not getting eaten to the wires, dont forget to rotate
Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Dat boxer rumble

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 8,074, Level 60
Points: 8,074, Level: 60 Points: 8,074, Level: 60 Points: 8,074, Level: 60
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Cant say i can help you on repairing the car, lord knows ive had my fair share of issues.

BUT, i can say that there are very few cars that can put a smile on my face like my car does. And ive driven ALOT of cars.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77439
What I Drive: 2000 Complete SVT swap sedan

Points 25, Level 1
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jkdguy4u Good Standing Member
I love my SVT and with 80k had no problems with it, maybe just the ocational rattle from the heat shield and O2 sensors, but from there had no issues and a drive it hard, is made to be driven. I'm also a Ford tech and we hardly see them except for alternators and timing belts, so if the car was neglected by the previous owner you are just the lucky recipient of that neglect, my advice to you is fix it everything at once get it out of the way and enjoy it.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42021
FF Reputation: 1 nepafocus03 Good Standing Member
sorry for the bad luck, howmany miles are on it?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That^, and it will get better, when my girl got her 03 zx3 2.3l it had so many problems the guys at the shop couldn't find or fix, same with my wagon I had to rebuild the motor and fix some electrical problems, But after you find it, fix it, and maintain it, thing's start getting better and funner.

And working on the engine or other parts doesn't seem to take a lot of time, after doing it a couple of times it gets way easier every time.

I vote 1, for fix it and keep it, SVT's are rare in some parts of this country.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Banned

Fan#: 80178
What I Drive: 2006 Sapphire Blue Sentra Spec-V

FF Reputation: 3 QR25DE_SpecV Good Standing Member
It has 84k on it.

How do you change that upper gasket on this car? I also saw some oil coming out from under the crank pulley.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
So you bought a car with problems you already knew about, did nothing about them and then get mad when those things progress into bigger problems?

I fail to see how you are blaming any of this on anything other than yourself. Yeah it sucks when things go wrong on a car, but if you buy a car that you know has problems and don't fix them why would you expect anything less than more problems?

Sorry to sound like an ass...I'm just saying...
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Enjoy the svt while you can, although it has it quarks it is one of the most rewarding cars to drive in its class. There will be a light, you just got to get thru a few things. You never know how the last person treated the car so things might show up. How many miles are on it also? Did the previous owner keep up on the tsb replacements? Check into the svt section to identify the tsbs and if you can see if they were done.

Btw welcome to the forum...its nice to have another girl around that knows a few things about cars.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 80158
What I Drive: 2004 Ebony SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TexSVT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsoccerdude View Post
So you bought a car with problems you already knew about, did nothing about them and then get mad when those things progress into bigger problems?

I fail to see how you are blaming any of this on anything other than yourself. Yeah it sucks when things go wrong on a car, but if you buy a car that you know has problems and don't fix them why would you expect anything less than more problems?

Sorry to sound like an ass...I'm just saying...
You don't sound like an ass, you're stating a valid point and I understand where you're coming from. The only thing I can blame Ford for is the horrible design of the car. It would have made my life a lot easier if I could have removed the oil pan without removing my mid-pipe. Removing the mid-pipe was a terror. Even with removing the dog bone mount and swinging the engine forward, we couldn't free the studs at the head of the pipe. We had to take a crow bar and essentially pry and shake the engine pretty violently to free the studs. The problem was the 02 sensor was in the way and so close to the block that we couldn't get an 02 sensor removing tool over it.

Likewise, having to take the intake manifold out to get to the block heater wasn't great either. It just seems to me like they planned out the top side of the engine bay and when they got to the bottom they just kind of threw everything in there however it would fit.

2004 Black SVT, stock as can be. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.