Ford dealer labor time - bull$1! or what?! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80519
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus SE HB 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 vampirefish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford dealer labor time - bull$1! or what?!

Hey everyone. So I took my Focus in and had the tranny fluid flushed with new filter, coolant flush, power steering change, new fuel filter, oil change and 5 new light bulbs (side marker, license bulbs, etc). My total bill was $533! They charged me for a little over 5hrs of labor but only worked on my car for about 3 to 3.5. To add insult to injury I got friends & family discount. Is this right? Can/should I go back and point this out? I feel like I should. SOO EXPENSIVE!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 14,343, Level 77
Points: 14,343, Level: 77 Points: 14,343, Level: 77 Points: 14,343, Level: 77
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
sounds about right, the dealer is going to be the most expensive place to service your car by a long shot. and yes being charged 5 hours of labor and only in the shop for 3 is right as well, by the book it says it will take 5 hours to perform and that is what you will get charged, regardless of how long it takes.

and even tho you got a Friends & Family discount, this sounds about the right amount the dealer would charge for such work.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
    Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #3

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Are you kidding?! On my old Volvo it cost me $250 to flush and fill the tranny alone. $100 to replace a single dashboard light bulb. Be thankful.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

Points 3,317, Level 35
Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
and that's why I do my own work........................

Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58931
What I Drive: 02 Gold Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 burrgeezy Good Standing Member
I'm sitting in TX right now and it was about $276, to have them replace both wheel cylinders and rear shoes.

I was going to do this myself, though due to Ohio road conditions (salt, etc) there was corrosion so I wasn't equipped. I had already purchased the cylinders, pads, and rear right drum.

I had to go buy the fitting!!! They didn't have'em!! I mean a FORD DEALER did not have the proper fitting to service there own vehicle!!

And this was over the course of 3 days, that I had deal with these people. They even lost my locking lug nut for one wheel.

I paid $85 dollars an hour for STUPIDITY!!

Sorry for the rant but I do agree that dealer service prices far exceed the quality of service rendered.
Zetec Crew #308
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80519
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus SE HB 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 vampirefish Good Standing Member
Glad I'm not alone here. I mean it's really hard to find an honest mechanic. My cousin is a master Ford mechanic but no longer has an available shop so I've been trying to find a place I can trust. I can do some work but don't have a shop either! Kinda sucks... Especially being a woman- too many shops try to take advantage of me.

I also need to add that I trust this dealership but can't afford this again! No wonder people don't maintain their vehicles! What a load!!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
and that's why I do my own work........................

Agree, My wagon I got now my girl mother paid $500 just to find the problem with the back hatch, they knew it was there but charged that much to find what the problem is.

I went back there took the lock off shook it, heard something rattling around, went to the junk yard and fixed the problem for $20.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
that's what you get for paying people to work on your car who have college degrees (or should!) unfortunately a few of them shouldn't have ever got them.

dealer rate is at least $100.... and yes we can get a job done in 2 hours and it pays 5. usually at a small shop (like where I work when I'm not attending school) we'll cut people a break on labor if it's a case like that.

so....... in all honesty that sounds right about where it should be, if not a bit cheap.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

Points 3,709, Level 38
Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38 Points: 3,709, Level: 38
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
be happy you don't own a saab. the labor rate here at my work is a nice $126 an hour. and a tranny flush pays over 2.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,551, Level 99
Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mike, you should've explained to them how they come about those hourly charges for work. First off, don't blame your mechanic, it's not his/her fault. In some places, they get ripped off as well.

There is an "independent" company who sets the time for labor charges to be "fair". Have you ever heard of a "Mitchell manual"? Well that's the company which sets time charges for auto projects. Mitchell is very generous IMO, and most of the time the mechanic can finish a job in less time than the manual allows for charges. When work is plentiful, mechanics at dealers who pay according to the old fashioned rules can make a lot of money. In this case, the mechanics are paid for the Mitchell hours of the work they've done like my cousin who used to get paid for 70 hours a week when he was only working 40.

It's not always like that though. Due to the mentality that we, the workers, should give up all we can to the company because we owe them for our job- there are places where the Mitchell manual works against the mechanics. When jobs are given out, the mechanics who are not working on a project will bid on the job against the others. For example, the service manager says there's a job that pays 5 Mitchell hours, and then asks who can do it for less. The lowest bidder gets paid the hours he/she bid.

This doesn't translate into savings for the consumer, only more money for the dealer or shop. There are also places that "simplify" the system and just pay their mechanics hourly for the time they are there while charging the customer Mitchell hours. If you were someone who was paid in a circumstance like I explained in the previous paragraph- this would be appealing. IMO, people like this should just work for someone like Wal-Mart where a minute of unscheduled overtime (clocking out late) will cost you your job.

That's the way it goes. Now I don't know if there's an online resource you can use to look up Mitchell hours for your special repair before you take your car in, but if there was you could accurately predict your cost. You should also school yourself on your state's laws so you don't get ripped off. For example, until a few years ago TN service businesses weren't required to charge sales tax to consumers. I worked for a company that did- because they could get away with it most of the time. I didn't even know myself until I was told not to charge "important" people like lawyers, local politicians, and business owners tax on the receipt.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.