Best year Focus to buy?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42926
FF Reputation: 1 LoudLowNslow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Best year Focus to buy??

What's up everybody.. Im looking for a Daily Driver and i'm considering a focus. I'm wondering what year/model, in specific, which engine would be best to look for as far as Reliability is concerned.

My best friend drives a 00 sedan, its got a 2.0 split port/auto trans. Crank windows, manual locks. He got it with 40k and it now has 127k on it. Those miles he put on it were HARD, very HARD miles. Its lowered, wheels, exhaust, intake, tints, etc.. it gets beat on day in and day out. besides for being an automatic, i would consider something like this. But, it lacks power also. My Biggest complaint about this car is the window rollers. Are the Focus window rollers backwards or something? Everytime i try to roll the window down, im going up. It seems opposite of every other car?? It irritates me lol.

My girlfriend drives an 08 sedan, power windows and locks, but an se model. Auto. She bought it new, and it now has 36k miles on. We took it to ford and they warrantied the sway bar bushings as they were clunking. All around, i like this car alot. The hankooks were noisey, I replaced with Michelin's. My ONLY complaint about this car is the "hoover vacuum" sound it makes(thats what we call it LOL) Its a got whistle/humming noise you hear at idle, i dont know if its the fuel pump or the exhaust. It changes tones, its obnoxious, But we deal with it.

I'd really like something 00-04. Sedan or zx3. It HAS to be Standard trans. my question is, what should I look for? I want something RELIABLE. Zetec or split port? Power options or a strippy? It will be a DD/beater for me as my other car goes away for winters..

Ive had 4 mk3 vdubs(2 jettas, a golf, and a gti). Ive also had a 92 Civic hatch before. I like LOW STANCE, fuel efficiency, and reliability. Reliability is a big deal, Which is why i wont buy another Dub. I figured I'd give the Focus a shot since my girl, and my best friend each have one.. input please! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
We like low stance too

The best years for you to look at is the 03-05. The 03, 04 are the original body stlye and the 05 has the face lift but pretty much the same car.

1. There are tons more suspension options for the 00-05. Suspension changed in 06 and up. There is a small kit you can get to put the 00-05 suspension on, but why do that if you don't have to. So if you like stance those years would be the best for you.

2. The 03 and 04 may have the 2.0 Zetec or a 2.3 Duratech, the 05 will have the 2.0 duratech in any body, unless its a ST which have the 2.3. Stay away from the SPI. I had one it was good the engine lasted me for 160K, but there are very very few bolts ons for the motor, it lacks power, and is known to drop valve seats. The Zetec or Duratech's are great engines both with lots of bolt ons and easy to work on. Neither has a history of issues. The duratech has a little more hp and torque.

3. All the body styles run the same unibody. So the only difference is th amount of doors, or a hatch vs trunk. Try and get a SE trim level or a SES, that will have the power windows and doors.

4. The MTX manual tranny that comes with the Zetec and Duratechs is a great tranny and will hold up to a good amount of abuse.

Now as far as relibilty, I have two Focus'. One with 120k swapped in Zetec and another with 210k. Both run great and still get up and go. I would get another in a heart beat if something happened to one of mine. There super safe cars as well. We've seen some really bad wrecks posted on here, with the passengers walking away. My friend rolled his, and all 3 guys in the car walked away.

Also what price range are you looking at?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #3

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
SPI motors are obsolete, rough running, and low power with so-so mpg. Try to find a 2005 with 2.0 Duratech, no timing belts. 04's with the 2.3 are rare, but a good 2nd choice. Zetecs are getting old and on the way to obsolescence.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80519
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus SE HB 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 vampirefish Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudLowNslow View Post
Biggest complaint about this car is the window rollers. Are the Focus window rollers backwards or something? Everytime i try to roll the window down, im going up. It seems opposite of every other car?? It irritates me
Ha ha! I've been thinking the same thing about the stupid windows!! I just picked up a 2000 SE Wagon and love it- but don't know enough about "best models".
Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
My picks:

03-04 with the 2.3 Duratec
03-04 ZX3/5 SVT with EAP Package
02-04 ZX3/5 SVT
05 ST with the SAP

The last three ONLY came in manual. If you find a manual 03-04 with the 2.3 Duratec it's definitely a keeper.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
Ha ha! I've been thinking the same thing about the stupid windows!! I just picked up a 2000 SE Wagon and love it- but don't know enough about "best models".
lol, cool man I got the 2000 ford focus se wagon in red. You going to the focus rising?
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
definitely hunt for an SVT.

power everything, good hp and tq, best looking, best interior (eap only), 6 speed, best headlights (eap). over all great car.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

Points 11,182, Level 69
Points: 11,182, Level: 69 Points: 11,182, Level: 69 Points: 11,182, Level: 69
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I dont think you've mention your price range...If reliability is a factor to you as it would be for me, I strongly suggest you look for a 03 and up Focus.

My picks for a reliable used Focus would be as follow.

03-04 Focus with a 2.3 Duratec for around $3500-$5000
05-07 ST $6000-$7000
Any 09 to present Focus if you can afford one and dont mind the 2.slow Duratec.

I would Stay away from any 00-01 Focuses unless you can get one dirt cheap. The 02-04 SVT's are nice but your going to overpay for one and most likely wont be reliable IMO.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Id stay away from the SPI. To be honest id go with an 05+ for the fact the engine is the best one. Its very fuel efficient, got good power and it has a chain timing belt, and on the zetec when its time to replace that thing its one huge pita. Oh and the windows, its not backwards, down is down up is up, its a push button. Your just used to the rocker style buttons where you pull for up and push for down. My mom has them on here car, and I actually find them annoying bc Im used to my focus.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

Points 15,532, Level 80
Points: 15,532, Level: 80 Points: 15,532, Level: 80 Points: 15,532, Level: 80
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
he was talking about the crank windows being backwards, not the power.
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.