about to buy an 08/09 sedan...have questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,330, Level 100
Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
about to buy an 08/09 sedan...have questions

we are probably going to buy an 08/09 focus sedan for my wife this weekend. i have finally convinced her.

i have a few questions.

1. which model comes with the rear sway bar stock?

2. are there things i should avoid, like options? sync? that kinda stuff?

3. are there differences in the years? between the two, one has kinks and other doesn't?

4. its going to be auto, are there issues with the auto tranny?

5. its going to stay relatively stock (for me, hahah, if anyone knows me they know what that means) but this is my first time with a duratec. i was figuring just a few bolt ons, RMM, tune. is there any specific mods that make a HUGE difference? also if i get a car with sync and the exhaust is louder does it cause issues in the cabin?

i will probably think of more as they come...also braking upgrades? whats available?

remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Derek, it will be good to see you back in a focus (well kinda)
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL

Last edited by norcalfocus01; 11-12-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Off Topic
Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74537
What I Drive: 2008 Red Coupe, 1994 Dodge Shadow

FF Reputation: 3 save_HUTCH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Ok

1) 08 Does not have a trunk release in the cab
2) SES is the only model with rear sway bar
3) Get an SE or higher, you get cruise and all that jazz)
4)As for mods, get an intake (FS or Steeda), Cat Back, No header since it's your wife's, a tune, or and turbo haha
5)As of now I can't find any good brake upgrades. i have found a couple of companies that are making drilled/slotted rotors, and good pads. You can do the SVTF rear brake swap but it takes some knowledge to get it to work.

That's all I have now haha.
Duratec Crew #59
2008 Red Coupe S Mods: Steeda SRI, Massive Strut bar
FSWerks:SCT Tune, 91 OCT, 2.5 inch Race Exhaust, Duratec Engine Cover, Came Wrinkle Black but painted Vermillion Red
2003 VW Golf GTI 20th AE Too many mods!!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

Points 21,937, Level 92
Points: 21,937, Level: 92 Points: 21,937, Level: 92 Points: 21,937, Level: 92
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
As for the questions I may be able to answer:

1. I would assume the SES has a bit of standard anti sway tech, RSB and whatnot.

2. Since it is for Your Wife, and I have no idea what She is looking for in a car, I would give Her a bit of creative license in this arena.

3. The only difference I know of is the 08 has that useless chrome "side vent", whereas that was deleted for the MY09.

4. No idea, sorry.

5. I don't know of anything short of FI that will give You "huge" gains, but the basic I/H/E/T and a good suspension setup will more or less bring the Duratec to life, so to speak. No idea on the cabin sound, but I would assume it would be noticed, these things aren't exactly known for Their acoustic prowess, lol.

Last edited by norcalfocus01; 11-12-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Off Topic
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
i wear no pants

Points 32,330, Level 100
Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
^^I have lots of mods and I dont go fast on the roads. Modding for me isnt about going fast on the road. Its about making the trip a bit more entertaining (without speeding or doing stupid burnouts)

Derek, it will be good to see you back in a focus (well kinda)
agreed. yea i'm excited. i have some fun stuff planned for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by save_HUTCH View Post
Ok

1) 08 Does not have a trunk release in the cab
2) SES is the only model with rear sway bar
3) Get an SE or higher, you get cruise and all that jazz)
4)As for mods, get an intake (FS or Steeda), Cat Back, No header since it's your wife's, a tune, or and turbo haha
5)As of now I can't find any good brake upgrades. i have found a couple of companies that are making drilled/slotted rotors, and good pads. You can do the SVTF rear brake swap but it takes some knowledge to get it to work.

That's all I have now haha.
ok cool you answered most of my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller_1974 View Post
As for the questions I may be able to answer:

1. I would assume the SES has a bit of standard anti sway tech, RSB and whatnot.

2. Since it is for Your Wife, and I have no idea what She is looking for in a car, I would give Her a bit of creative license in this arena.

3. The only difference I know of is the 08 has that useless chrome "side vent", whereas that was deleted for the MY09.

4. No idea, sorry.

5. I don't know of anything short of FI that will give You "huge" gains, but the basic I/H/E/T and a good suspension setup will more or less bring the Duratec to life, so to speak. No idea on the cabin sound, but I would assume it would be noticed, these things aren't exactly known for Their acoustic prowess, lol.
ah gotcha. sounds good man.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.

Last edited by norcalfocus01; 11-12-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78390
What I Drive: 2011 Mazda 3 iTouring 2.0

FF Reputation: 2 CamoCustom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Are you getting it new? IF so why not the 2010? I got a $3500 rebate on mine when I got it 2 months back...they were only offering 1000 rebate on the 2011s

Just a thought....
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
i wear no pants

Points 32,330, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
hm, we are going to look tomorrow. maybe we will see what rebates they are offering. we might be getting loyalty cash too which would be badass. i've owned 3 fords in the past 5 years.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,899, Level 97
Points: 26,899, Level: 97 Points: 26,899, Level: 97 Points: 26,899, Level: 97
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
hm, we are going to look tomorrow. maybe we will see what rebates they are offering. we might be getting loyalty cash too which would be badass. i've owned 3 fords in the past 5 years.

Posted via FF Mobile They should probably be able to give you just as good if not a better deal on a 2010 or 2011 as they would a used 09. Most things were answered but also remeber in 09 they started with the euro style bumper, and dark chrome on the SES coupe and I believe the ses sedan...unless that was just for 2010. But also they got rid of that horrid chrome faux fender vent. SES foci I believe also have a bump in hp, but that might just be for the manual trans.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
i wear no pants

Points 32,330, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
yea, those are things i was looking at. they have some good incentives.

i am leaning more towards a brand new car, with a warranty and all that shit. something i don't have to worry about. so we shall see.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I don't think anyone has been having any issues with the auto tranny as of yet. But its just now that the 08's may be higher mileage to start having issues. On the flip side tho, the auto is the same one Ford been using since 05.

09 all the way. Like Darknight said the 08 has that horrid front bumper, and the chrome grill. The 09 is much better looking.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.